Whitehouse Real Estate Listings and Information
Whitehouse is a village in Readington Township, New Jersey along the Jersey Turnpike, just west of Mechanicsville.
Whitehouse Station is a neighboring CDP census-designated place and unincorporated area located within Readington Township, in Hunterdon County, New Jersey. At the United States 2000 Census, the CDP population was 2,089, and has a total area of 1.3 square miles, of which 0.04 square miles (3.01%) is water.
Whitehouse Station takes its name from Whitehouse -- Abraham Van Horn's 18th Century Tavern -- which later became the rail station there. White House Station still provides train service to the village through New Jersey Transit. The main highway through town is Route 22.
Readington is the county’s largest township geographically and the community has retained much of its rural nature, with Whitehouse and Whitehouse Station providing the pleasures of small-town living.
Readington has three major highways which made this area prime territory for industrial and corporate office complexes, including the world headquarters for Merck & Company, a major local employer located at 1 Merck Drive, Whitehouse Station.
All of Hunterdon County is considered a USDA Rural Development eligible area.
Some Parks include--
- Pickell Mountain Park -- Stadium and ball fields near corner of Main St and Mountain Rd.
- Round Valley State Recreation Area and Round Valley Reservoir -- Located nearby at 1220 Lebanon-Stanton Road, Lebanon; provides open space enjoyment.
- Cushetunk Park -- Smaller scale, but in Whitehouse Station, a dam provides a lake, surrounded by woods, trails and outdoor opportunities.
- Vislocky -- Woodland park on the northeast corner of Round Valley Reservoir provides open space opportunities.
Some restaurants near Whitehouse Station include--
- La Casa Bianca (Italian) - 144 Main Street, Whitehouse Station
- Jerry's Brooklyn Grill (American) - 261 Main Street, Whitehouse Station
- Giovanni's Pizza & Pasta (Pizza, Italian, Cheesesteak) - 431 US Hwy 22 E., Whitehouse Station
- Domo 7 Japanese Restaurant (Japanese) - 547 US Highway 22 E, Whitehouse Station
- Bensi (Italian) - 531 US Highway 22 E, Whitehouse Station
- Readington Diner (Diner) - 452 Route 22 West, Whitehouse Station
- Giasuppe's Pizzeria (Pizza) - 144 Main Street, Whitehouse Station
- Yi En Asian Cuisine Inc (Chinese) - 407 US Highway 22 E, Whitehouse Station
- R & M Chinese Restaurant (Chinese) - 549 Us Highway 22 E, Whitehouse Station
- Falcone's Pizzeria & Catering (Italian, Pizza, Sandwiches/Subs) - 260 Main Street, Whitehouse Station
- Whitehouse General Store (Sandwiches/Subs) - 98 Old Route 28, Whitehouse Station
National Register of Historic Places listings include--
- Whitehouse Station, Main Street, Whitehouse Station
In 1722, Abraham Van Horn purchased 490 acres in Readington along the Rockaway Creek. He built a grist mill and saw mill here. Around 1750, he built a white plastered wall tavern on the creek where the Jersey Turnpike crossed (this is now the corner of Washington Street and US 22).
The tavern began to be referred to as the "White House" by travellers. The village, which sprang up to the east of the tavern also carried this name. Stones from the original tavern can be seen along the retaining wall of the DAR cemetery, where the tavern once stood. The village of White House stretched along the Jersey Turnpike (now Route 22 and Old Route 28), which was the main street. The village included taverns, stores, grist mills, an academy, a Dutch Reformed Church and numerous houses.
The nearby Whitehouse Station, which also indirectly took the name from the tavern, was not built up until 1848 when an extension of the Somerville and Easton Railroad was built.
Whitehouse Community Blog
Recently Listed - View All
277 Morning Glory Ct Readington Twp., NJ 08889-2016 $319,500 2 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
12 Park Ln Readington Twp., NJ 08889-3687 $319,900 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Ranch
25 Daisy Ct Readington Twp., NJ 08889-2003 $352,025 2 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
120 Trillium Ct Readington Twp., NJ 08889-2020 $299,000 2 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
2215 Berry Farm Rd Readington Twp., NJ 08889-3731 $318,000 2 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Residential
1305 S Branch Dr Readington Twp., NJ 08889-3236 $429,900 3 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
65 Old Hwy 28 Readington Twp., NJ 08889-3609 $324,900 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
1202 S Branch Dr Readington Twp., NJ 08889-3235 $475,000 3 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
63 Ebersohl Cir Readington Twp., NJ 08889-4032 $420,000 3 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Level
15 Fernwood Ct Readington Twp., NJ 08889-4030 $420,000 3 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
3 Ebersohl Cir Readington Twp., NJ 08889-4027 $420,000 3 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Level
495 Us-22 East Readington Twp., NJ 08889-3406 $250,000 3 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Ranch
Browse Listings by Price Range
Active Market Stats
- 12 Listings For Sale
- $417,977 Average Listing Price
Sold Market Stats
- 11 Properties Sold