Tewksbury Real Estate Listings and Information
Tewksbury Township is located in Hunterdon County, New Jersey and is located within the New York Metropolitan Area. As of the United States 2010 Census, the township population was 5,993, and has a total area of 31.6 square miles, of which, 0.04 square miles of it (0.06%) is water.
The township is named after Tewkesbury, England, and the two established a sister city relationship in 2003. The township includes the communities of Oldwick, Pottersville, Cokesbury and Mountainville.
Pastoral scenes blend with luxury homes in Tewksbury Township, making it one of Hunterdon’s most attractive and affluent municipalities. Township residents are proud of the historical nature of their community. The villages of Oldwick and Pottersville, in particular, were named to both the State and National Historic Registers.
Some scattered retail shops provide daily conveniences, while the nearest major shopping center is located in the White House/Somerville area. Quality recreational amenities include a 200-acre wildlife area and a 100-acre nature area.
The Tewksbury Township Schools is a K - 8 public school district, which operates two schools. Schools in the district are Tewksbury Elementary School for grades K - 4 and Old Turnpike School for prekindergarten and grades 5 - 8. The original elementary school, Sawmill, opened in 1951 and has subsequently been sold.
Public school students in grades 9 through 12 attend Voorhees High School in Glen Gardner as part of the North Hunterdon-Voorhees Regional High School District. Voorhees High School serves students from Califon Borough, Glen Gardner Borough, Hampton Borough, High Bridge Borough, Lebanon Township, and Tewksbury Township.
Voorhees High School was the highest rated high school in Hunterdon County in the 2010 Top High Schools in New Jersey ranking by NJ Monthly Magazine.
Interstate 78 passes through the Township, and is accessible via Oldwick Road (County Route 523) at Exit 24. County Route 517 also passes through the Township. The nearest NJ Transit Station is to the south in Lebanon.
Oldwick is also home to the Somerset Hills Handicapped Riding Center, a North American Riding for the Handicapped Association (NARHA) Premier Accredited Center for Therapeutic horseback riding.
Tewksbury was the 2nd highest rated location in Hunterdon County in the 2010 Best Places to Live in New Jersey ranking by NJ Monthly Magazine. Also, Tewksbury and the entire Hunterdon County is a USDA Rural Development eligible area.
Tewksbury has many parks and open spaces to enjoy, including--
- Christie Hoffman Farm Park -- Located on Fairmount Road West, the 170-acre farm consists of gently rolling hills, open fields, wetlands and wood trails. There are miles of hiking and horse riding trails, quiet areas for bird watching, hunting and slopes for sledding in the winter. Two soccer fields have been added.
- Cold Brook Preserve--Cold Brook Reserve -- Located in the village of Oldwick, the 287-acre park is part of the Hunterdon County Parks System and offers facilities for hiking, horseback riding, cross-coutry skiing and mountain biking.
- Fairmount North -- Comprised of 65 acres, the park provides a setting for activities such as hiking, athletic field, hunting and riding. The property is adjacent to both the Pottersville Reservoir and Pascale Farm properties.
- Pascale Farm Park -- Located on Fairmount Road East, is a 140 acre parcel containing trails designated to provide a footpath with minimal disturbance to the natural surroundings. Other natural aspects of the Pascale Farm Park are the stone hedgerows, water views, agricultural vistas and the varied wildlife.
- The Whittemore Wildlife Sanctuary -- Located on Rockaway Road in Oldwick, Tewksbury Township maintains the wildlife sanctuary. There are approximately 180 acres of walking and hiking trails.
- Pottersville Reservoir Preserve Fairmount Road East -- This 115 acre parcel is one of the few remaining undisturbed areas of the Township. The northern-most portion of the Township borders Washington Township in Morris County.
- Hill and Dale Property -- Hill and Dale Farm, a 90+ acre parcel consisting of forests, streams and vernal pools is located on Parsonage Lot Road.
- Oldwick Fields Park -- Oldwick, the park consists of 20 acres and has been one of the main athletic venues in the Township.
Willowwood Arboretum -- Located at 300 Longview Road in nearby Chester, this 130 acre area is an arboretum and public park, home to 3500 different plants.
Ken Lockwood Gorge WMA - in High Bridge, NJ -- New Jersey Monthly magazine has called Ken Lockwood Gorge one of the “Ten Most Beautiful Places in New Jersey.” The area has long been a famous and much-loved site to birders, naturalists, kayakers, photographers, hikers, fishermen and outdoor enthusiasts.
Hacklebarney State Park -- Located at 119 Hacklebarney Rd in nearby Long Valley, the Black River cuts its way through rocky Hacklebarney State Park, cascading around boulders in the hemlock-lined ravine. Two tributaries, Rinehart and Trout Brooks, also course their way through this glacial valley, feeding the Black River.
Some restaurants near Tewksbury include--
- Tewksbury Inn (American-New) - 55 Old Turnpike Road, Oldwick
- Gourmet Expressions, aka Mountainville Post Cafe (Breakfast/Brunch) - 307 Main Street, Lebanon
- Chelseas (American) - 1051 US Highway 22, Lebanon
- Fox & Hound Tavern (Seafood, American) - 69 Main Street, Lebanon
- Kirsten's Italian Grill and Caterers (Italian) - 1386 US Highway 22, Lebanon
- Spinning Wheel Diner (American) - 283 US Highway 22 E, Lebanon
- Tony's Bistro (Italian) - 419 County Road 513, Califon
- Nicola's Pizza (Pizza) - 427 County Road 513, Califon
- Califon General Store (Sandwiches/Subs, Cheesesteak, Burgers) - 75 Main Street, Califon
- Casola Trattoria (Italian) - 425 County Road 513 # 5, Califon
National Register of Historic Places listings include--
- Bartles House, 159 Oldwick Rd., Tewksbury Township
- Frog Hollow Road Bridge (over minor tributary of the South Branch, Raritan River), Frog Hollow Rd., approx. 1400' W of Beavers Rd., Tewksbury
- Hollow Brook Road Bridge (over tributary of the Lamington River), Hollow Brook Rd. approx. 700 W of Homestead Rd., Tewksbury
- Mountainville Historic District, Guinea Hollow Rd., Saw Mill Rd., Main St., Rockaway Creek Rd. and Philhower Rd., Tewksbury Township
- Palatine Road Bridge (over a minor tributary of the Lamington River), Palatine Rd., jct. with Homestead and Cold Spring Roads., Tewksbury
The original European settlers were of English extraction. However, a large German contingent settled in the area around 1749 and theirs became the strongest influence when Tewksbury became a township. The enclave of Oldwick, with a mixture of Victorian, Federal, New England and Georgian style homes is protected by historic legislation. Zion Lutheran Church in Oldwick (formerly New Germantown) is the oldest German Lutheran parish in New Jersey.
Tewksbury Township was first mentioned as holding a township meeting in 1755, as having been formed partly from Lebanon Township, though the exact circumstances of its formation by charter are unknown. Tewksbury was incorporated as one of New Jersey's initial 104 townships by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature in 1798. Portions of the township have been taken to form Califon borough (1898). Portions of the township were acquired from Readington Township in 1832 and 1861, and portions were transferred to Clinton Township in 1871 and 1891.
Tewksbury Community Blog
Recently Listed - View All
12 Ridge Rd Tewksbury Twp., NJ 08833-4626 $725,000 4 Beds 5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
19 Dege Farm Road Tewksbury, NJ 07830 $749,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 3,359 Sq Ft Colonial
Tewksbury Twp., NJ 08833-4628 $699,000 4 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
104 Old Driftway Ln Tewksbury Twp., NJ 07830-3045 $262,900 3 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
1 Bartles Rd Tewksbury Twp., NJ 08833-4606 $519,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Custom
51 Parsonage Lot Rd Tewksbury Twp., NJ 08833-4612 $764,500 3 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Ranch
1 Old Farm Ln Tewksbury Twp., NJ 08858 $799,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Ranch
148 Rockaway Rd Tewksbury Twp., NJ 08833-4408 $529,900 3 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
2 Covered Bridge Lane Tewksbury, NJ 07830 $1,150,000 4 Beds 5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
4 Stoney Ridge Rd Tewksbury Twp., NJ 08833-4630 $745,000 3 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Custom
20 Pruner Farm Rd Tewksbury Twp., NJ 08833-4603 $889,000 5 Beds 7 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
142 Rockaway Rd Tewksbury Twp., NJ 08833-4408 $425,000 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Split-Level
22 Pruner Farm Road Tewksbury Twp., NJ 08833-4408 $299,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
31 Tiger Dr Tewksbury Twp., NJ 07830-3341 $939,000 4 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
109 Rockaway Rd Tewksbury Twp., NJ 08833 $245,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
39 Parsonage Lot Rd Tewksbury Twp., NJ 08833-4612 $710,000 5 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Custom
109 Old Turnpike Rd Tewksbury Twp., NJ 07830-3037 $1,895,000 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Residential
4 Old Farm Ln Tewksbury Twp., NJ 08833 $799,900 4 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
27 Parsonage Lot Rd Tewksbury Twp., NJ 08833-4612 $579,900 5 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
1 Dinner Pot Rd Tewksbury Twp., NJ 07830-3030 $650,000 3 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Cape Cod
34 Burrell Road Tewksbury Twp., NJ 08833-4617 $579,000 3 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
Browse Listings by Price Range
Active Market Stats
- 22 Listings For Sale
- $759,764 Average Listing Price
- $223 Average Listing Price per Square Foot
Sold Market Stats
- 4 Properties Sold