Union Real Estate Listings and Information
Union is a Township in Union County, New Jersey. In the 18th century, the area that is now Union was then called Connecticut Farms. As of the 2010 United States Census, the township population increased to a record high of 56,642, and has a total area of 9.1 square miles, none of the area is covered with water.
Union Township was incorporated as a township by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature in 1808 from portions of Elizabeth Township, while the area was still part of Essex County. It became part of the newly-formed Union County in 1857. Portions of the township have been taken to form Linden Township (1861), Roselle Park, (1901), Kenilworth (1907) and Hillside (1913).
The Township of Union is located on the northern-central edge of Union County and is bordered by eight municipalities: Hillside to the east, Elizabeth to the southeast, Roselle Park and Kenilworth to the south and Springfield Township to the west. Northwest of the township lies Millburn, to the north lies Maplewood and to the northeast lies Irvington, all in Essex County.
A residential community boasting the county's most abundant array of single-family homes, Union Township harmonizes lovely older homes along quiet tree-lined streets with contemporary suburban developments. Densely populated with a well-established community spirit, the township is home to some commerce and industry as well as Kean College of New Jersey.
Retail establishments meet the needs of area residents, supplemented by nearby major malls. The attractive "college town" atmosphere is enhanced by abundant recreational amenities including a 40-acre conservation area, sports facilities, a golf course, tennis courts, swim clubs, and programs for all age groups.
Parts and sections of Union
- Five Points -- Area around the junction of Galloping Hill Rd, Chestnut St, Salem Rd, Delaware Ave, Walton Ave, and Tucker Ave.
- Brookside Heights (Curreyville) -- Area west of Vauxhall Road.
- Vauxhall -- Area of Union north of 1-78 and west of Stuyvesant Avenue. Aspirant to become own town, only getting as far as getting its own zip code 07088.
- Union Center -- Area around the intersection of Morris and Stuyvesant Avenues.
- Putnam Ridge -- A section between Suburban Road, Morris Avenue, Twin Oaks Road, and Colonial Avenue.
- Putnam Manor -- A wealthy section between Colonial Ave and Salem Road.
- Orchard Park
- Parkside Manor -- A three road section off of Union Terrace.
- Larchmont Estates -- Area bordered by Larchmont Reservation (NW and NE edges), Morris Avenue (SW), Liberty Ave (SE), and Joe Collins Park/Larchmont Reservation (NE edge).
- Green Lane -- New community between Kean University and Union Station.
- Fairway Drive -- Community bordering the Galloping Hill Golf Course.
In recent years it has been voted the 75th best place to live in America because of its diversity and easy access into New York City. Union is home to some historic sites from the American Revolutionary War.
The Union Public School District serves students in preschool through grade twelve. The ten schools currently in operation are six K-4 elementary schools — Battle Hill School, Hannah Caldwell School, Connecticut Farms Elementary School, Franklin School, Livingston School and Washington School — Central Five-Jefferson School for grade 5 , both Burnet Middle School and Kawameeh Middle School for grades 6 - 8 and Union High School for grades 9 - 12.
Union is also home to several private nursery schools, two Roman Catholic elementary schools: St. Michael's and Holy Spirit, and The Deron School, a private school for learning disabled students ages 5–13.
Kean University -- A public liberal arts and research university located in the towns of Union and Hillside. In Union Township, campus is located at 1000 Morris Avenue.
Lincoln Tech - For technical training in Union at 2299 Vauxhall Road, Lincoln Tech received the 2010 School of Distinction Award from the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
Union is traversed by a network of local and regional roadways including the Garden State Parkway, Interstate 78, U.S. Route 22, and Route 82 (Morris Avenue).
Union has an NJ Transit rail station on the Raritan Valley Line, (formerly the mainline of the Lehigh Valley Railroad) which opened in 2003. NJ Transit also provides bus service to New York City and New Jersey points.
Former Rahway Valley Railroad freight line, now abandoned, crosses through Union. This line, presently licensed to Morristown & Erie Railroad, is in the process of revitalization after which it will link NJ Transit's Morris & Essex lines at Summit to Staten Island.
Newark Liberty International Airport is approximately six miles east of Union.
Points of Interest include--
- Caldwell Parsonage -- During the Revolutionary War, this historic home was located at the site of the Connecticut Farms Battle. At the time, a minster and his wife, Hannah Caldwell, lived here. Hannah Caldwell was the victim of a gun shot wound, which soon after caused her death. There are rumors and tails of Hannah Caldwell haunting this home to this very day. Located at 909 Caldwell Ave, Union.
- Washington's Headquarters -- Washington's Headquarters is a Landmark where General George Washington chose after the British Hessian army retreated on June 7th 1780. Located on Stuyvesant Avenue, Union.
- Liberty Hall Museum -- Located on the campus of Kean University, Liberty Hall Museum was home to New Jersey's first elected governor and signer of the constitution, William Livingston. The home was built in 1772 on the eve of the revolution and has since witnessed over 200 years of history. Located at 1003 Morris Ave, Union.
Some golf courses nearby include--
- Galloping Hill Golf Course -- A public 18 hole golf course located on the border of Union and Kenilworth.
- Suburban Golf Course -- A private 18 hole golf course located in the heart of Union.
- Baltusrol Golf Course -- A US Open level golf course located nearby at 201 Shunpike Road, Springfield.
Some restaurants include--
- Mario's Tutto Bene (Italian) - 495 Chestnut Street, Union
- 141 South (American) - 1871 Vauxhall Road, Union
- Ristorante da Benito (Italian) - 222 Galloping Hill Rd.(aka 184 Walton Avenue), Union
- Cafe Z (Italian) - 2333 Morris Avenue, Union
- Tiffany's Restaurant & Bar (American, Barbecue, Burgers) - 1637 Vauxhall Road, Union
- Van Gogh's Ear Cafe (American) - 1017 Stuyvesant Avenue # 1, Union
- Rio Rodizio (Brazilian, Sushi) - 2185 US Highway 22 West, Union
- The Red Cadillac (Mexican, Spanish) - 2258 Morris Avenue, Union
- Church's Kitchen (American) - 2117 Springfield Ave, Vauxhall
- Union Plaza Diner (Diner, Soups) - 2466 Us-22, Union
- Cioffi's Restaurant & Pizzeria (Italian) - 929 Stuyvesant Avenue, Union
- Chestnut Chateau (Italian, Mediterranean) - 649 Chestnut St, Union
- Huck Finn Diner (Diner) - 2431 Morris Ave, Union
- Kyoto Sushi II (Sushi, Japanese) - 347 Chestnut St, Union
- Galloping Hill Inn and Caterers (Hot Dogs, Breakfast/Brunch) - 325 Chestnut St, Union
- Burnet Barbeque (Brazilian, Barbecue, Portuguese) - 1275 Stuyvesant Avenue, Union
- Morris Thai Cuisine (Thai) - 1975 Morris Ave., Union
- Napoli Italian Deli & Specialties (Sandwiches/Subs) - 336 Chestnut St, Union
- Route 22 BBQ (Barbecue) - 1607 Us-22, Union
National Register of Historic Places listings include--
- Caldwell Parsonage, 909 Caldwell Ave., Union
- First Presbyterian Congregation of Connecticut Farms, Stuyvesant Ave. at Chestnut St., Union
- James Townley House, Morris Ave. and Green Lane, Union
Union Township was the site of the Battle of Connecticut Farms, one of the last battles between British and American forces during the American Revolutionary War. On June 6, 1780, British troops, led by Hessian General Wilhelm von Knyphausen, boarded boats on Staten Island bound for Elizabeth, New Jersey. At midnight, 5,000 troops started to land. They expected the Continental Army to give little resistance, believing that they were tired of the war and were poorly fed and paid. They also expected the citizens of New Jersey to welcome them. They were wrong on both counts and were unable to make their way to and through the Hobart Gap.
Union Community Blog
Recently Listed - View All
2570 Jackson Ave Union Twp., NJ 07083-3927 $425,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
9 Heckleman Street Union Beach, NJ 07735 $330,000 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Split-Level
771 Madison Ave Union Twp., NJ 07083-6726 $439,000 3 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
403 Rosewood Dr Union Twp., NJ 07083-5057 $335,000 2 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
509 Park Avenue Union Beach, NJ 07735 $240,000 2 Beds 1 Baths 960 Sq Ft Ranch
244 Parkside Dr Union Twp., NJ 07083-5563 $450,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Residential
1489 Warwick Ct Union Twp., NJ 07083-4728 $389,000 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Split-Level
1081 Dawes Ave Union Twp., NJ 07083-6103 $315,000 4 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Cape Cod
1512 Elaine Ter Union Twp., NJ 07083-4702 $399,999 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Cape Cod
1025 Norton Road Union, NJ 07083 $439,000 4 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
1025 Norton Rd Union Twp., NJ 07083-7037 $439,000 4 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
2145 Balmoral Ave Union Twp., NJ 07083-5201 $365,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
1014 Redspire Dr Union Twp., NJ 07083-5063 $339,000 2 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
1021 Kingswood Rd Union Twp., NJ 07083-6353 $549,000 6 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Family
8 Dean Ter Union Twp., NJ 07083-6306 $329,900 4 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Cape Cod
950 Grandview Ave Union Twp., NJ 07083-8323 $364,900 3 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Cape Cod
1562 Julian Ter Union Twp., NJ 07083 $358,600 4 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Cape Cod
1287 Dartmouth Ter Union Twp., NJ 07083-5504 $454,900 4 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
891 Pennsylvania Ave Union Twp., NJ 07083-6929 $525,000 5 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
1239 Victor Ave Union Twp., NJ 07083-3705 $199,000 3 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
712 Balsam Way Union Twp., NJ 07083-7410 $409,000 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
1559 Day Ter Union Twp., NJ 07083 $419,900 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Cape Cod
256 Globe Avenue 2019 - Union Twp, NJ 07083 $1,875 3 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Single Family
302 Lilac Dr Union Twp., NJ 07083-5055 $349,000 2 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
Upcoming Open Houses - View All
771 Madison Ave Union Twp., NJ 07083-6726 $439,000 3 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 11am-12pm
2145 Balmoral Ave Union Twp., NJ 07083-5201 $365,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
302 Lilac Dr Union Twp., NJ 07083-5055 $349,000 2 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft TownhouseOpen HousesSun 2-4pm
509 Park Avenue Union Beach, NJ 07735 $240,000 2 Beds 1 Baths 960 Sq Ft RanchOpen HousesSun 12-2amSun 12-2pm
Browse Listings by Price Range
Active Market Stats
- 314 Listings For Sale
- $373,031 Average Listing Price
- $250 Average Listing Price per Square Foot
Sold Market Stats
- 10 Properties Sold