Mendham Real Estate Listings and Information
Mendham (Borough) NJ
Also see Mendham Township, New Jersey.
Mendham is a borough in Morris County, New Jersey, some 40 miles due west of New York City. As of the 2000 Census, the borough population was 5,097, and has a total area of 6.0 square miles (15.6 km2), of which only 0.04 square miles of it (0.33%) is water.
The surrounding Mendham Township was incorporated by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature in 1798. The village of Mendham, adopted the newly created borough form of government in 1906 and withdrew from the governance of the township council.
Known for its rich historic charm and quaintness, Mendham Borough's is known for noted landmarks such as the Phoenix House which serves as the borough's municipal building and the Black Horse Inn. Historic estates, picturesque farms, and large single-family homes enjoy spacious lots or multi-acre properties. The borough's quaint Main Street adds a charming ambiance with convenience services and shops.
Public school students in grades K-8 attend the Mendham Borough Schools. Schools in the district are Hilltop Elementary School for grades K - 4 and Mountain View Middle School for grades 5 - 8.
Private school students from the area can attend St. Joseph's School, which is located in Mendham for grades K-8. Saint Joseph School is a Catholic school operated under the auspices of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Paterson.
Students in public school for grades 9-12 attend West Morris Mendham High School, which is located in Mendham Borough and is part of the West Morris Regional High School District. Students in the district come from the surrounding Morris County school districts of Chester Borough, Chester Township, Mendham Borough, Mendham Township and from Washington Township.
The all-boys Delbarton School, in nearby Morris Township, also draws a number of Mendham boys in grades 7-12.
Mendham is also home to the Assumption College for Sisters, a two-year women's college that is open to lay students as well as those pursuing religious lives.
Sisters of Christian Charity, Eastern Province - Mendham is the homebase of the eastern US province for the Sisters of Christian Charity.
Given that no Interstate, US or New Jersey State Highway runs very near to Mendham, the area has not become so much of a New York City suburb as nearby communities with much easier highway and commuter rail access. For those heading to points outside Mendham, Interstate 287, County Route 510, Interstate 80, and Interstate 78 are all accessible. Commuters can drive to nearby Morristown to access the New Jersey Transit Midtown Direct express train line into Midtown Manhattan.
Some restaurants include--
- The Black Horse Tavern (American) - 1 West Main Street, Mendham
- Sammy's Ye Old Cider Mill (Steakhouse) - 353 Mendham Rd W, Mendham
- Aoyama (Chinese and Sushi) - 86 E. Main Street, Mendham
- La Famiglia Gourmet (Italian) - 7 West Main Street, Mendham
- Dante's Italian Restaurant (Italian) - 100 East Main Street, Mendham
- Wicker Basket (Sandwich) - 84 E Main St # B, Mendham
- Country Coffee Shop (Coffee/Diner) - 84 E Main St # K, Mendham
- Mac Kenzie's Scottish Pub (Pub Food) - 84 East Main St # 88, Mendham
- Colonial Pantry (Sandwich) - 5 W Main St # 1, Mendham
- Sorrento Pizza (Italian) - 5 East Main Street, Mendham
Some nearby points of interest include--
- Mendham Golf Course - A local golf and tennis club east of Mendham.
- Roxiticus Golf Club - A local golf club southwest of Mendham.
- Schiff Nature Preserve - A local park and open space on the westside of Mendham.
- India Brook Natural Area - A local park and open space on the northside of Mendham.
- Arboretum - A local park and open space on the northside of Mendham.
- Colemans Hollow - A local park and open space north of Mendham.
- Buttermilk Falls - A local park and open space north of Mendham.
- Morristown National Historic Park - Morristown National Historical Park preserves sites in the Morristown, New Jersey area occupied by General George Washington and the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War from 1779-1780.
National Register of Historic Places listings include--
- Stephen Cary House, Mountainside Rd., Mendham
- Community of St. John Baptist, 82 W. Main St., Mendham
- Mendham Historic District, Roughly bounded by Halstead St. and Country Ln. on W. and E. Main St., Mountain Ave., Hilltop Rd. and Prospect St., Mendham
- David Thompson House, 56 W. Main St., Mendham
While New Jersey was an English colony, Mendham Township was formed on March 29, 1749 as a new governmental entity, from portions of Hanover Township, Morris Township, and Rockaway Township. Sites had been established by settlers from the early 18th century and villages named. After the American War of Independence, the township was incorporated under the same name by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 21, 1798. Portions of the township were taken to create Randolph Township on January 1, 1806.
Mendham was incorporated as a borough by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on May 15, 1906, from portions of Mendham Township. This was driven by the people who inhabited what became the Borough wanting public water and sewer services while those that lived in what remained the Township (villages of Brookside and Ralston) felt it was cost prohibitive in their more rural areas.
Recently Listed - View All
24 Franklin Rd Mendham Boro, NJ 07945 $939,900 6 Beds 5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Custom
29 Devonshire Ln Mendham Twp., NJ 07945-1860 $772,500 4 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
20 Halstead Rd Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-1606 $649,500 4 Beds 5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Custom
37 Galway Dr Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-2011 $450,000 3 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
78 Mountainside Rd Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-2016 $599,000 3 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Ranch
5 Gunther St Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-1409 $539,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Ranch
470 Cherry Ln Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-2713 $1,125,000 4 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
15 S Aberdeen Dr Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-2009 $610,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Level
41 W Main St Mendham Twp., NJ 07945-1223 $869,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
7 Tempe Wick Rd Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-1824 $639,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Custom
38 Florie Farm Rd Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-1708 $650,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
24 Franklin Rd Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-1819 $948,500 6 Beds 5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Custom
36 Mountainside Rd Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-2016 $788,000 4 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
0 Lot 42-15 Mendham Twp., NJ 07945-2804 $879,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
20 Forest Dr Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-1615 $950,000 6 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
2 Hilltop Road Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-1215 $65,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Business
7 Horseshoe Bend Rd Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-2707 $1,595,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
3 Horseshoe Bend Rd Mendham Boro, NJ 07945 $599,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
5 Horseshoe Bend Rd Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-2707 $499,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
11 Kerby Ln Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-2901 $1,299,000 4 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
10 Park Ave Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-1611 $544,000 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Cape Cod
57 Hampshire Dr Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-2003 $325,000 2 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
1 Ogden Rd Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-1811 $658,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
21 Florie Farm Rd Mendham Boro, NJ 07945 $764,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
Upcoming Open Houses - View All
86 Mountain Ave Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-1328 $1,179,900 4 Beds 6 Baths 0 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 1-3pm
24 Franklin Rd Mendham Boro, NJ 07945 $939,900 6 Beds 5 Baths 0 Sq Ft CustomOpen HousesSun 12-4pm
29 Devonshire Ln Mendham Twp., NJ 07945-1860 $772,500 4 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
22 Hilltop Rd Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-1236 $650,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
Browse Listings by Price Range
Active Market Stats
- 151 Listings For Sale
- $937,007 Average Listing Price
Sold Market Stats
- 5 Properties Sold