Somerset Real Estate Listings and Information
Somerset is a census-designated place and unincorporated area located at the easternmost section within Franklin Township, in Somerset County, New Jersey. As of the United States 2000 Census, the CDP population was 23,040.
Somerset public school students use the Franklin Township Public Schools, serving students in kindergarten through twelfth grade. Schools in Somerset are K-4 elementary schools — Conerly Road School (35 Conerly Road, Somerset), Elizabeth Avenue School (363 Elizabeth Avenue, Somerset), Hillcrest School (500 Franklin Boulevard, Somerset), MacAfee Road School (53 MacAfee Road, Somerset), Pine Grove Manor School (130 Highland Avenue, Somerset) — Sampson G. Smith School (1755 Amwell Rd, Somerset) for grades 5-6, Franklin Middle School (415 Francis St, Somerset) for grades 7-8 and Franklin High School (500 Elizabeth Avenue, Somerset) for grades 9-12.
Rutgers Preparatory School (also known as Rutgers Prep or RPS) is a private, coeducational, university preparatory day school located in Somerset, New Jersey, and occupies a nearly 400 acre campus between Easton Avenue and the Raritan River.
Somerset has a variety of county routes, and other major roads that pass through. Some of the major county route that are in the township are CR 514, CR 518 and CR 527. Route 27 runs along the border between New Brunswick, and the townships of both South and North Brunswick. Interstate 287 runs through the northern part with two interchanges.
Some restaurants include--
- Luca's Restaurant and Pizza (Italian) - 2019 State Route 27, Somerset
- Sophie's Bistro (French) - 700 Hamilton Street, Somerset
- Chao Phaya Thai Cuisine (Thai) - 900 Easton Ave # 20, Somerset
- De Island Breeze (Caribbean) - 676 Franklin Blvd, Somerset
- Jo Sho Restaurant (Japanese) - 120 Cedar Grove Ln # 8, Somerset
- Desert Moon (Mexican) - 456 Elizabeth Avenue, Somerset
- Somerset Diner (American) - 1045 Easton Avenue, Somerset
- Hamilton BBQ Churrasqueira (Barbecue, Portuguese, Spanish) - 841 Hamilton Street, Somerset
- Hoysala Restaurant (Indian) - 2 John F Kennedy Blvd # 5, Somerset
- Pooja Restaurant (Indian) - 1075 Easton Avenue # 15, Somerset
- Steve's Pizza (Pizza) - 900 Easton Ave # 46, Somerset
- Yummy Yummy Chinese Restaurant (Chinese) - 920 Hamilton Street, Somerset
- Mi Amore (Italian) - 120 Cedar Grove Ln Ste 24, Somerset
Points of Interest include--
- One of the first Marconi Wireless Stations in the United States -- The New Brunswick Marconi Station was located at JFK Boulevard and Easton Avenue, which is now within Somerset, just a few minutes from the New Brunswick border. In 1913, the Marconi Wireless Telegraph Company built a giant radio transmission station in Somerset and suspended a mile long antenna from a series of 440-foot-high steel masts along the canal route. In 1918, President Woodrow Wilson used the station to broadcast an appeal to Germany's Kaiser Wilhelm II to abdicate, an address that historians credit with hastening the armistice. The station has since been dismantled. However the Guglielmo Marconi Memorial Plaza, on the corner of Easton Avenue and John F. Kennedy Boulevard, has been dedicated to the inventor.
- Six Mile Run Reservoir -- NJ Trails and Park: Parking lot is located at 625 Canal Road, Somerset.
- Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park Trail -- Along the shore of the Raritan River.
- The Blackwells Mills Canal House -- Located at Blackwells Mills Road and Canal Road (598 Canal Road, Somerset) on the Delaware and Raritan Canal, was built around 1835, at the same time as the canal. It was constructed to house the bridge tender, who would open the swing bridge when canal boats came through, then close it to allow traffic to cross over the canal. The building is leased from the State and is maintained and operated by the Blackwells Mills Canal House Association in conjunction with the Meadows Foundation.
- Van Wickle House -- a historical house located at 1289 Easton Avenue in Somerset. Built in 1722 by Dutch settlers, now owned and maintained by The Meadows Foundation. The home sits next to Rutgers Preparatory School, away from busy Easton Avenue, near a Revolutionary War-era graveyard.
- The Hageman Farm -- Located at 209 South Middlebush Road, Somerset; is a circa 1861 historic farm. Owned by Franklin Township, the farm is under the stewardship of the Meadows Foundation.
- The Negri-Nepote Native Grassland Preserve -- Purchased in 2003 by Franklin Township, this 164 acre property is between Skillmans Lane to the east, Bennetts Lane to the north, and the Six-mile Run Reservoir site to the west and south. There are 111 acres of grassland and 53 acres of woodland.
- The Van Liew-Suydam House -- a historical house located at 280 South Middlebush Road, Somerset; was built in the 18th century by Peter Van Liew. Joseph Suydam later built the part of the house that is visible today. The newest and largest portion of the house was built in 1875. Owned by Franklin Township, the farm is under the stewardship of the Meadows Foundation.
- The Wyckoff-Garretson House -- Located at 215 South Middlebush Road, Somerset; was built in 1730 by Cornelius Wyckoff. The house is currently being restored by the Meadows Foundation.
National Register of Historic Places listings include--
- Tulipwood, 1165 Hamilton St., Somerset.
Recently Listed - View All
95 Stonehedge Court Franklin Twp., NJ 08873-4732 $275,000 2 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
151 Hillcrest Ave Franklin Twp., NJ 08873-2436 $335,000 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Ranch
665 Hamilton St Franklin Twp., NJ 08873-3231 $585,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Commercial
25 Columbus Dr Franklin Twp., NJ 08823-1727 $247,500 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
11 Crown Rd Franklin Twp., NJ 08873-4128 $485,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
15 Olcott St Franklin Twp., NJ 08873-2721 $379,900 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Cape Cod
135 Rachel Ct Franklin Twp., NJ 08823-1546 $174,900 2 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
2 Larsen Rd Franklin Twp., NJ 08873-2205 $500,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Custom
25 Winthrop Rd Franklin Twp., NJ 08873-1809 $364,900 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Split-Level
11 Como Dr Franklin Twp., NJ 08873 $250,000 3 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Ranch
170 Sapphire Ln Franklin Twp., NJ 08823-1637 $243,000 2 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Level
28 Jays Cor Franklin Twp., NJ 08873-7441 $529,000 3 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Detached
26 Stratford Dr Franklin Twp., NJ 08873-4824 $480,000 3 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
28 Garden Ave Franklin Twp., NJ 08823-1216 $439,000 3 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
16 Paulina Place Franklin Twp, NJ 08873 $299,990 3 Beds 3 Baths 2,092 Sq Ft Traditional
2202 Courtney Ln Franklin Twp., NJ 08873 $279,900 2 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Residential
41 Pfeiffer Place Franklin Twp, NJ 08873 $249,990 3 Beds 2 Baths 1,415 Sq Ft Traditional
21 Marswillo Way Franklin Twp, NJ 08873 $229,990 3 Beds 2 Baths 1,400 Sq Ft Traditional
25 Marswillo Way Franklin Twp, NJ 08873 $189,990 3 Beds 2 Baths 1,400 Sq Ft Traditional
17 Marswillo Way Franklin Twp, NJ 08873 $169,990 2 Beds 1 Baths 960 Sq Ft Traditional
32 Holly St Franklin Twp., NJ 08873-3052 $339,000 4 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Bi-Level
16 Hadler Dr Franklin Twp., NJ 08873-3359 $299,800 5 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Split-Level
47 Hillcrest Ave Franklin Twp., NJ 08873-1832 $279,900 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Detached
77 Stanwick Ct Franklin Twp., NJ 08873-4411 $259,000 2 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
Browse Listings by Price Range
Active Market Stats
- 313 Listings For Sale
- $368,762 Average Listing Price
- $170 Average Listing Price per Square Foot
Sold Market Stats
- 54 Properties Sold