Whippany Real Estate Listings and Information
Whippany is an unincorporated area located within Hanover Township in Morris County, New Jersey. Cedar Knolls is another unincorporated area within Hanover Township.
Whippany's name is derived from the Whippanong Native Americans, a tribe that once inhabited the area. Whippanong meant "place of the willows", named for the trees growing along the banks of the Whippany River.
Education opportunities include--
- Whippany Park High School, a public High School.
- Our Lady of Mercy Academy is a Catholic school operated under the auspices of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Paterson.
Notable organizations include--
- J. E. Ashworth & Sons operated a woolen blanket mill.
- The Whippany Railway Museum in the central area.
- Bell Labs - Whippany.
- Communication Techniques, Inc. (CTI), a wholly own subsidiarity of Herley Industries.
- The New Jersey Jewish News, a weekly newspaper published by United Jewish Communities of MetroWest New Jersey
- CAE Inc. - On Apollo Road, provides flight simulation and crew training services to the Business Aviation community.
Some restaurants include--
- Il Capriccio Ristorante (Italian) - 633 Route 10 East, Whippany
- Nikko (Sushi) - 881 Rte. 10 E., Whippany
- Billy's Red Room (American, Seafood) - 60 Parsippany Road, Whippany
- Bogey's (American) - 960 New Jersey 10, Whippany
- Trattoria Toscana (Italian) - 554 State Route 10 # 1, Whippany
- Melting Pot Restaurant (Fondue) - 831 State Route 10 # 3, Whippany
- Bensi Restaurant (Pizza) - 831 Rt-10, Whippany
- Brookside Diner & Restaurant (American) - 699 New Jersey 10, Whippany
- Johnny's Pizzeria (Pizza) - 55 Parsippany Road # 4, Whippany
- Molly Malones Restaurant Pub (American) - 352 New Jersey 10, Whippany
National Register of Historic Places listings include--
- Our Lady of Mercy Chapel, 100 Whippany Rd., Whippany
- Tuttle House, 341 NJ 10, Whippany
The first colonial settlement in the wilderness of north-central New Jersey occurred along a meandering river known as "Whippanong" (a name given to us by the Native Americans who first inhabited this land). As colonists settled the area they referred to the land as "Whippeny." Eventually the proprietors of the new-found province delineated a vast unsettled territory and named it "Whippenny Township." The township predates its home county of Morris and actually defined the general boundaries of land that eventually became Morris County.
Whippenny Township or Hanover Township, as it came to be called, is the predecessor of all 39 municipalities of Morris County. Originally approximately 500 square miles during colonial times, Hanover Township has been whittled down to its present size of 10.8 square miles. Whippany, as it is now called, is a district within the township of Hanover with a land area of 6.9 square miles.
Whippany was the first settlement of Morris County (half a century before Morris County was established). Whippany hosted the first church in what came to be Morris County, and established the first school in Morris County, and has the oldest public graveyard in Morris County, and Whippany revolutionists formed the first military company in Morris County.
Whippany made world history with the first television broadcast from Whippany to New York City in 1927.
Whippany was once a provincial community that has recently developed into a sprawling suburb. During the last half of the twentieth century Whippany was transformed from a sparsely populated village of farms, forests, fields, and meadows to a thriving suburban municipality.
Recently Listed - View All
82 Reynolds Ave Hanover Twp., NJ 07981-1229 $499,000 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Raised Ranch
1206 Brook Hollow Dr Hanover Twp., NJ 07981-2508 $389,000 1 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Other
1007 Meadow Brook Ct Hanover Twp., NJ 07981-1196 $349,000 1 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Level
1607 Brook Hollow Dr Hanover Twp., NJ 07981-2512 $355,000 1 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Level
42 Polhemus Ter Hanover Twp., NJ 07981-1313 $475,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Bi-Level
5 Eden Ln Hanover Twp., NJ 07981-1401 $1,095,000 5 Beds 6 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
2012 Vermont Ter Hanover Twp., NJ 07981-1429 $437,000 2 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
85 Highland Ave Hanover Twp., NJ 07981-1352 $435,000 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Cape Cod
90 Reynolds Ave Hanover Twp., NJ 07981-1230 $395,000 2 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Custom
29 Reynolds Ave Hanover Twp., NJ 07981-1254 $285,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
48 Addie Ln Hanover Twp., NJ 07981-1319 $579,900 4 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Bi-Level
624 Route 10 Hanover Twp., NJ 07981 $70,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Business
18 Hillcrest Rd Hanover Twp., NJ 07981-1329 $525,000 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Split-Level
2 River Park Ct Hanover Twp., NJ 07981-1187 $890,000 6 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
22 Whippany Rd Hanover Twp., NJ 07981-1508 $580,000 6 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
130 Parsippany Rd Hanover Twp., NJ 07981-1127 $550,000 7 Beds 5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Other
130 Parsippany Rd Hanover Twp., NJ 07981-1127 $550,000 7 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Family
5 Eden Ln Hanover Twp., NJ 07981-1401 $1,100,000 5 Beds 6 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
24 Sunrise Dr Hanover Twp., NJ 07981-1100 $248,000 1 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Residential
134 Whippany Rd Hanover Twp., NJ 07981-1721 $524,900 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Bi-Level
703 Brook Hollow Dr Hanover Twp., NJ 07981-2503 $437,500 2 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Level
33 Troy Hills Rd Hanover Twp., NJ 07981-1343 $475,000 4 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Cape Cod
561 Route 10 Hanover Twp., NJ 07981 $525,000 4 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Family
2202 Yardley Pl Hanover Twp., NJ 07981-1431 $395,000 2 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
Browse Listings by Price Range
Active Market Stats
- 79 Listings For Sale
- $520,128 Average Listing Price