Mendham Real Estate Listings and Information
Mendham (Borough) NJ
Also see Mendham Township, New Jersey.
Mendham is a borough in Morris County, New Jersey, some 40 miles due west of New York City. As of the 2000 Census, the borough population was 5,097, and has a total area of 6.0 square miles (15.6 km2), of which only 0.04 square miles of it (0.33%) is water.
The surrounding Mendham Township was incorporated by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature in 1798. The village of Mendham, adopted the newly created borough form of government in 1906 and withdrew from the governance of the township council.
Known for its rich historic charm and quaintness, Mendham Borough's is known for noted landmarks such as the Phoenix House which serves as the borough's municipal building and the Black Horse Inn. Historic estates, picturesque farms, and large single-family homes enjoy spacious lots or multi-acre properties. The borough's quaint Main Street adds a charming ambiance with convenience services and shops.
Public school students in grades K-8 attend the Mendham Borough Schools. Schools in the district are Hilltop Elementary School for grades K - 4 and Mountain View Middle School for grades 5 - 8.
Private school students from the area can attend St. Joseph's School, which is located in Mendham for grades K-8. Saint Joseph School is a Catholic school operated under the auspices of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Paterson.
Students in public school for grades 9-12 attend West Morris Mendham High School, which is located in Mendham Borough and is part of the West Morris Regional High School District. Students in the district come from the surrounding Morris County school districts of Chester Borough, Chester Township, Mendham Borough, Mendham Township and from Washington Township.
The all-boys Delbarton School, in nearby Morris Township, also draws a number of Mendham boys in grades 7-12.
Mendham is also home to the Assumption College for Sisters, a two-year women's college that is open to lay students as well as those pursuing religious lives.
Sisters of Christian Charity, Eastern Province - Mendham is the homebase of the eastern US province for the Sisters of Christian Charity.
Given that no Interstate, US or New Jersey State Highway runs very near to Mendham, the area has not become so much of a New York City suburb as nearby communities with much easier highway and commuter rail access. For those heading to points outside Mendham, Interstate 287, County Route 510, Interstate 80, and Interstate 78 are all accessible. Commuters can drive to nearby Morristown to access the New Jersey Transit Midtown Direct express train line into Midtown Manhattan.
Some restaurants include--
- The Black Horse Tavern (American) - 1 West Main Street, Mendham
- Sammy's Ye Old Cider Mill (Steakhouse) - 353 Mendham Rd W, Mendham
- Aoyama (Chinese and Sushi) - 86 E. Main Street, Mendham
- La Famiglia Gourmet (Italian) - 7 West Main Street, Mendham
- Dante's Italian Restaurant (Italian) - 100 East Main Street, Mendham
- Wicker Basket (Sandwich) - 84 E Main St # B, Mendham
- Country Coffee Shop (Coffee/Diner) - 84 E Main St # K, Mendham
- Mac Kenzie's Scottish Pub (Pub Food) - 84 East Main St # 88, Mendham
- Colonial Pantry (Sandwich) - 5 W Main St # 1, Mendham
- Sorrento Pizza (Italian) - 5 East Main Street, Mendham
Some nearby points of interest include--
- Mendham Golf Course - A local golf and tennis club east of Mendham.
- Roxiticus Golf Club - A local golf club southwest of Mendham.
- Schiff Nature Preserve - A local park and open space on the westside of Mendham.
- India Brook Natural Area - A local park and open space on the northside of Mendham.
- Arboretum - A local park and open space on the northside of Mendham.
- Colemans Hollow - A local park and open space north of Mendham.
- Buttermilk Falls - A local park and open space north of Mendham.
- Morristown National Historic Park - Morristown National Historical Park preserves sites in the Morristown, New Jersey area occupied by General George Washington and the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War from 1779-1780.
National Register of Historic Places listings include--
- Stephen Cary House, Mountainside Rd., Mendham
- Community of St. John Baptist, 82 W. Main St., Mendham
- Mendham Historic District, Roughly bounded by Halstead St. and Country Ln. on W. and E. Main St., Mountain Ave., Hilltop Rd. and Prospect St., Mendham
- David Thompson House, 56 W. Main St., Mendham
While New Jersey was an English colony, Mendham Township was formed on March 29, 1749 as a new governmental entity, from portions of Hanover Township, Morris Township, and Rockaway Township. Sites had been established by settlers from the early 18th century and villages named. After the American War of Independence, the township was incorporated under the same name by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 21, 1798. Portions of the township were taken to create Randolph Township on January 1, 1806.
Mendham was incorporated as a borough by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on May 15, 1906, from portions of Mendham Township. This was driven by the people who inhabited what became the Borough wanting public water and sewer services while those that lived in what remained the Township (villages of Brookside and Ralston) felt it was cost prohibitive in their more rural areas.
Recently Listed - View All
56 Pembroke Dr Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-2006 $329,000 2 Beds 1.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
44 Prentice Ln Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-2722 $3,295,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
14 Pembroke Dr Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-2006 $335,000 2 Beds 1.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
32 E Main St Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-1506 $475,000 3 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
9 New Street Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-1207 $575,000 5 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Family
50 Pembroke Dr Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-2006 $440,000 2 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
7 Mansfield Ct Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-1312 $719,000 4 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
600 Cherry Ln Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-2715 $1,200,000 4 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
51 Galway Dr Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-2011 $374,900 2 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
30 Wexford Dr Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-2008 $529,000 3 Beds 3.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
5 New St Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-1207 $410,000 3 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
10 Village Cir Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-1423 $618,000 4 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Raised Ranch
16 Prospect St Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-1216 $2,250,000 6 Beds 6 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
20 Halstead Rd Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-1606 $729,000 4 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Custom
4 Colville Dr Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-1522 $849,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
1 South Road Mendham, NJ 07945 $649,900 4 Beds 2.5 Baths 3,536 Sq Ft Colonial
88 W Main St Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-1255 $949,000 6 Beds 5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Custom
4 Horseshoe Bend Rd Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-2706 $1,099,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
39 Mountain Ave Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-1402 $409,000 3 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Ranch
1 Marshall Ter Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-1421 $279,900 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Ranch
20 W Main St Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-1214 $700,000 5 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
6 Kerby Ln Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-2901 $1,488,000 5 Beds 5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
16 Birch St Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-1304 $699,900 5 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Custom
4 Talmage Rd Mendham Boro, NJ 07945-1530 $750,000 4 Beds 3.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
Browse Listings by Price Range
Active Market Stats
- 68 Listings For Sale
- $1,131,009 Average Listing Price
- $184 Average Listing Price per Square Foot
Sold Market Stats
- 2 Properties Sold