Watchung Real Estate Listings and Information
Watchung Homes for Sale
Watchung enjoys densely wooded rolling hills, large residential lots, and a peaceful valley lifestyle. State parks are nearby for expanded opportunities for outdoor recreation.
The Stony Brook flows through Watchung borough, making its way from Warren Township to the Watchung Lake, then through the gorge in the first Watchung mountain and over the Wetumpka Falls, on its way to the Green Brook.
It is roughly a 40 minute drive from New York City, and a 30 minute drive from Newark. Major roads in the area are I-78 and Hwy 22.
Students in Kindergarten through eighth grade are educated by the Watchung Borough Schools. Schools in the district are Bayberry Elementary School with grades K - 4, and Valley View School with grades 5 - 8.
Watchung's students in public school for grades 9-12 attend Watchung Hills Regional High School in Warren Township together with students from the neighboring communities of Green Brook Township and Warren Township (in Somerset County) and Long Hill Township (in Morris County).
Watchung Points of Interest
- AT&T -- Located at 1592 Route 22 East, Watchung, is a major employer in town.
- Twin Brooks Golf Course -- Located at 600 Mountain Boulevard, providing golfing and country club enjoyment.
- Watchung Arts Center -- Located at 18 Stirling Road, is a central New Jersey venue for the performing arts. Concerts include jazz, classical, and folk music.
- Watchung Lake Development -- Formed by a concrete dam in 1894, the lake has fishing and open space opportunities. Located off Mountain Blvd near Somerset St.
- Watchung Reservation -- Located in nearby Mountainside, a 2,065-acre preserve containing woodlands, fields,lakes, streams and more than 13 miles of hiking trails.
- Water & Wine Ristorante (Italian) - 141 Stirling Road, Watchung
- Authentic Chengdu (Chinese) - 475 Watchung Avenue, Watchung
- Marino's Pizza (Italian) - 720 Somerset Street, Watchung
- Baja Fresh Mexican Grill (Mexican) - 1595 US Highway 22, Watchung, NJ
- Antonio's Restaurant & Pizza (Italian) - 67 Stirling Road, Watchung, NJ
- Paisano's Pizza & Restaurant (Italian) - 1511 US Highway 22, Watchung
- Watchung Gourmet Deli (Sandwiches/Subs) - 475 Watchung Ave, Watchung
- China Chef (Chinese) - 1701 US Highway 22 # A, Watchung, NJ
History of Watchung
Watchung was formerly known as “Green Valley” and “Washingtonville.” In the early 1900s, Washingtonville sought to gain its own post office. It was discovered that another town by the name of Washingtonville existed in the state of New Jersey. The village then changed its name to Watchung.
In the 19th century, Watchung was a fairly wealthy section of the county due to its valuable stone quarries. Wallace Vail opened the first quarry in 1864. Stone was initially taken from the quarry to build local churches and hotels. It was later used for bridges and foundations of buildings throughout the state. Stone from the quarry was also used to lay Route 22. In 1894, a concrete dam was built on Watchung Lake that allowed for the development of a new industry in Watchung – ice cutting.
Watchung, from the 1900s was a semi-rural small community of about 3,200 people in comparison with the relatively much larger cities of Plainfield and Somerville. Even as late as the 1960s, it was common for residents to know one another by name, with few moving in or out of the town. The 1967 Plainfield riots, however, caused an exodus of the large upper-middle class population from the nearby cities to move to the Watchung Hills area to towns such as Watchung, Warren Township and Bridgewater Township. It was at this time that Watchung became a bedroom community and the average income and median house prices soared.
Watchung Community Blog
Recently Listed - View All
157 Oakwood Road East Watchung Boro, NJ 07069 $1,325,000 5 Beds 5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
213 Hillcrest Rd Watchung Boro, NJ 07069-6005 $550,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
100 Union Avenue Watchung Boro, NJ 07069 $795,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
285 Anderson Rd Watchung Boro, NJ 07069-6216 $749,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
113 Valley Dr Watchung Boro, NJ 07069-6431 $600,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
142 Washington Dr Watchung Boro, NJ 07069-6319 $579,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
183 Washington Rock Rd Watchung Boro, NJ 07069-6261 $575,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
105 Washington Rock Rd Watchung Boro, NJ 07069-6207 $550,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
66 Glen Eagles Dr Watchung Boro, NJ 07069 $550,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
7 Johnston Dr Watchung Boro, NJ 07069-4904 $549,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Commercial
561 Valley Rd Watchung Boro, NJ 07069-6100 $539,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
445 Watchung Ave Watchung Boro, NJ 07069-4956 $439,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Commercial
183 Washington Rock Rd Watchung Boro, NJ 07069-6261 $399,900 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
23 Blue Wolf Trl Watchung Boro, NJ 07069-5425 $375,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
157 Oakwood Rd Watchung Boro, NJ 07069-6153 $372,900 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
845 Johnston Dr Watchung Boro, NJ 07069-6466 $325,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
1169 Johnston Dr Watchung Boro, NJ 07069-6416 $299,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
56 Beechwood Pl Watchung Boro, NJ 07069-5913 $275,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
825 Johnston Dr Watchung Boro, NJ 07069-6466 $275,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
205 Parlin Ln Watchung Boro, NJ 07069 $275,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
1353 Johnston Dr Watchung Boro, NJ 07059 $220,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
1120 Johnston Watchung Boro, NJ 07205 $105,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
0 Johnston Dr Watchung Boro, NJ 07069-6465 $1,200,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
460 Watchung Ave Watchung Boro, NJ 07069 $249,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Family
Browse Listings by Price Range
Active Market Stats
- 745 Listings For Sale
- $757,441 Average Listing Price
- $249 Average Listing Price per Square Foot
Sold Market Stats
- 12 Properties Sold