Warren Real Estate Listings and Information
Warren Township is in Somerset County, New Jersey. As of the 2010 United States Census, the township population was 15,311, and has a total area of 19.7 square miles. All of it is land with the exception of a few private ponds.
In July 2009, CNNMoney.com ranked Warren #6 in its list of "Best Places to Live" in the United States, citing in particular its schools, June carnival (the Lions Club's annual "Expo"), "wide open spaces" (generally 1.5 acres per house), and 74 "working farms" ("taxed-as-farmland" tracts, but rural, nevertheless).
The east-west Second Watchung Mountain ridge bisects Warren, with the northern half of the township sloping northward to the Passaic and Dead Rivers, and the southern half spanning the Washington Valley, between the First and Second Watchung Mountain ridges, through which runs the East Branch of the Middlebrook.
Being less than 35 miles to Manhattan makes Warren Township a favorite suburb for commuters to New York City. Businesses and residents alike chose Warren as their home because of the access to major roads and resources. Warren is positioned between route 78, route 22 and route 287. NJ Transit does not have a rail station in town.
Once a crossroads for travelers between Pennsylvania and East Jersey, Warren Township is a suburban community of single-family homes on expansive lots of an acre or larger. Close to home are abundant recreational resources including acres of parks and preserves, playgrounds, athletic fields, league sports, country clubs, golf courses, a swimming pool, a senior center, tennis courts, and equestrian attractions.
The Warren Township Schools serve public school students in kindergarten through eighth grade. Schools in the district are four K - 5 elementary schools — Central School, Mt. Horeb School, Angelo L. Tomaso School, and Woodland School — along with Warren Middle School for grades 6-8.
Students in public school for grades 9-12 attend Watchung Hills Regional High School, which serves students from Warren as well as the neighboring communities of Watchung, Green Brook (in Somerset County), and Long Hill Township (in Morris County).
The township provides post secondary opportunities at Raritan Valley Community College, located nearby at 128 Lamington Road, North Branch.
Some restaurants include--
- Stone House at Stirling Ridge (American) - 50 Stirling Road, Warren
- Silk Road Restaurant (Mediterranean, Afghan) - 41 Mountain Boulevard, Warren
- Alfie's Ristorante Italiano (Italian) - 101 Town Center Drive, Warren
- Ristorante Il Forno (Italian) - 68 Mountain Boulevard, Warren
- Jose's Mexican Cantina (Mexican) - 125 Washington Valley Rd # 125, Warren
- Uproot (American) - 9 Mount Bethel Rd, Warren
- Pooja (Indian) - 125 Washington Valley Road, Warren
- Scarpellino's Restaurant (Italian) - 168 Mount Bethel Rd, Warren
- Torino Trattoria (Italian) - 50 Mount Bethel Road, Warren
- Rolf's Restaurant (American) - 65 Stirling Road, Warren
Points of interest include--
- Citigroup -- Located at 283 King George Road, is a major employer in town.
- Warrenbrook Golf Course -- Located at 500 Warrenville Rd.
- Wagner Farm Arboretum -- Located at 197 Mountain Avenue, the arboretum began in 2001, when Warren Township purchased the Wagner Farm property.
- King George Inn (aka Torino's) -- Circa 1790. The oldest portion of the King George Inn was built in the eighteenth century. In 1873 Jacob Blimm, then the proprietor, advertised a stage line from Plainfield to Mount Bethel. Josephine Schaeffer, who later sang at the Metropolitan Opera, lived here in the 1880s.
- Baptist Meeting House -- The Baptist Meeting House was built c. 1761 on the old Quibbletown Gap Road (now Old Church Road), then disassembled and moved to its present site in 1785. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Old Smalleytown School -- The old Smalleytown School was built of fieldstone c. 1800. In 1842, the township acquired the land. The structure to the left was a stagecoach stop c. 1790. During the 1870s and 1880s, the Reverend David D. Smalley III taught forty pupils in this one-room schoolhouse. Closed in 1885, the building was a private home until it was removed in 1976 to Olde Towne Village in Piscataway.
- Passaic River County Park -- Located north of I-78, it provides open space enjoyment, easiest entry is along the eastern side of the park.
- Mount Bethel and Warren Township (Park) -- Located south of I-78, it provides open space opportunities.
- Pond Brook Valley Park -- Located northwest of Mt Horeb Rd and King Georges Rd, it provides open space opportunities.
East County Reserve and Somerset Cty Open Space Acquisition -- Located on Old Stirling Road, across from the Warren Middle School, contains sports fields in addition to open space enjoyment.
National Register of Historic Places listings include--
- Baker-Dauderstadt Farm, 30 DuBois Rd., Warren Township
- Kirch-Ford House, 1 Reinman Rd., Warren -- After the township acquired the Kirch House in 1980, volunteer members of the Historic Sites Committee saw to its restoration. A bee-hive oven, a walk-in fireplace, pine flooring, and a secret room that may have been a stopping-place on the pre-Civil War underground railroad are among its many features.
Warren Township is named for American Revolutionary War patriot, General Joseph Warren, who was killed at the Battle of Bunker Hill.
Warren was originally inhabited by the Lenape Native Americans and was settled in the 1720s by European farmers. English and Scots-Irish from Turkey (now New Providence) and Scotch Plains first settled the township in the 1720s. Farmers from New Providence followed the Passaic River into what is now Union Village and Smalleytown. To the south, pioneers from the lowlands moved through Lincoln Gap (Somerset Street, Watchung) and into Washington Valley.
By the time of the American Revolution, fewer than a hundred families lived in what would become Warren, eking out a living from the stone-scattered fields. There were saw and grain mills on Cory’s Brook, in Dock Watch Hollow, and elsewhere. A Baptist Church on Old Church Road and a schoolhouse on Mount Bethel Road were the centers of community life.
Warren was incorporated as a township by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature in 1806 from portions of Bernards Township and Bridgewater Township. In the 1830s Germans settled in the Washington Valley, soon followed by French and Swiss and later by Italians.
The south-eastern half of the original township (which was close to a railroad and contained most of the population) was separated off as North Plainfield Township in 1872. Throughout the late nineteenth century and into the early twentieth, the principal industries were livestock, fruit and grain raising, dairy farming, and logging. As early as 1900, it became a refuge for wealthy residents looking to escape nearby New York City.
World War II had an enormous impact on the community. Almost all able bodied young men (and some women, too) served in the armed forces. The post-war demand for housing spurred a flurry of new construction - the number of homes increased 45 percent during the years 1946-48.
A second building boom in the 1960s drove the population to 8,592 by 1970. A shopping center, the town hall, and a cluster of commercial buildings made Warrenville the new "downtown."
The Historical Sites Committee was formed in 1971 and members are appointed by the governing body to administer municipally-owned historic landmarks. The historical landmarks they have protected are the Mount Bethel Meeting House, the Kirch-Ford House, and two small family cemeteries. The Meeting House dates back to mid-1700 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Warren celebrated it's 200th anniversary in 2006. Parts of the town are designated populated places and are commonly known as Coontown, Dockwatch Hollow, Mount Bethel, Round Top, Smalleytown, Springdale, Union Village, and Warrenville, although these place names have fallen into disuse.
Warren Community Blog
Recently Listed - View All
134 Charles Rd Warren Twp., NJ 07059-5210 $319,900 2 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
5 Raspberry Trl Warren Twp., NJ 07059-7053 $1,975,000 5 Beds 7 Baths 0 Sq Ft Custom
4 Birchmont Ln Warren Twp., NJ 07059-5436 $919,000 5 Beds 5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
9 Arvidale Rd Warren Twp., NJ 07059-7040 $1,225,000 5 Beds 5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
101 Washington Valley Rd Warren Twp., NJ 07059 $815,000 3 Beds 5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Ranch
9 Lara Place Warren Twp., NJ 07059-3007 $974,900 3 Beds 5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
21 Robin Rd Warren Twp., NJ 07059-5039 $710,000 5 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Residential
Warren Twp., NJ 07059-6906 $699,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
23 Whispering Way Warren Twp., NJ 07059-5637 $1,599,000 6 Beds 5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
5 Stony Brook Dr Warren Twp., NJ 07059-5451 $390,000 5 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Cape Cod
21 Rockage Rd Warren Twp., NJ 07059-5506 $1,389,000 5 Beds 8 Baths 0 Sq Ft Custom
38 Park View Dr Warren Twp., NJ 07059 $1,160,000 3 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Residential
162 Old Stirling Rd Warren Twp., NJ 07059-5831 $749,900 5 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
6 Debby Ln Warren Twp., NJ 07059-5013 $559,000 3 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Custom
88 Round Top Rd Warren Twp., NJ 07059-5042 $1,500,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
23 Stiles Rd Warren Twp., NJ 07059-5449 $899,500 4 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Custom
10 North Rd Warren Twp., NJ 07059-7115 $855,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Commercial
29 Mountain Blvd Warren Twp., NJ 07059 $799,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
29 Mountain Blvd Warren Twp., NJ 07059 $799,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Commercial
11 Arlington Ct Warren Twp., NJ 07059 $790,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
36 Mt Horeb Rd Warren Twp., NJ 07059-6831 $750,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
6 Arlington Court Warren Twp., NJ 07059 $700,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
4 Arlington Ct Warren Twp., NJ 07059 $700,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
94 King George Rd Warren Twp., NJ 07059-6954 $699,994 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
Upcoming Open Houses - View All
15 Gregory Ln Warren Twp., NJ 07059 $1,590,000 6 Beds 7 Baths 0 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
11 Conifer Dr Warren Twp., NJ 07059-5062 $1,529,000 6 Beds 7 Baths 0 Sq Ft CustomOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
1 Hilltop Ct Warren Twp., NJ 07059-5486 $1,475,000 6 Beds 7 Baths 0 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
27 Strawberry Ln Warren Twp., NJ 07059-7050 $1,285,000 5 Beds 6 Baths 0 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
5 Sugarwood Way Warren Twp., NJ 07059-6792 $1,098,000 5 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
16 Whispering Way Warren Twp., NJ 07059-5637 $1,069,000 4 Beds 5 Baths 0 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
8 Mattben Dr Warren Twp., NJ 07059-7142 $1,039,000 5 Beds 5 Baths 0 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSat 2-4pmSun 1-4pm
39 Angus Ln Warren Twp., NJ 07059-6701 $969,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
4 Birchmont Ln Warren Twp., NJ 07059-5436 $919,000 5 Beds 5 Baths 0 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
1 Blue Jay Ct Warren Twp., NJ 07059-6748 $899,000 5 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft ContemporaryOpen HousesSun 2-4pm
12 Flintlock Dr Warren Twp., NJ 07059-5015 $875,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
2 Normandy Court Warren Twp., NJ 07059-7059 $800,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
5 Geiger Ln Warren Twp., NJ 07059-5639 $719,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
124 Mount Horeb Road Warren Twp., NJ 07059-5527 $699,900 4 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Raised RanchOpen HousesSun 12-3pm
161 Town Center Dr Warren Twp., NJ 07059-5691 $399,900 2 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft TownhouseOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
Browse Listings by Price Range
- $0 - $10K
- $10 - $20K
- $20 - $30K
- $30 - $40K
- $40 - $50K
- $50 - $60K
- $60 - $70K
- $70 - $80K
- $80 - $90K
- $90 - $100K
- $100 - $110K
- $110 - $120K
- $120 - $130K
- $130 - $140K
- $140 - $150K
- $150 - $160K
- $160 - $170K
- $170 - $180K
- $180 - $190K
- $190 - $200K
- $200 - $210K
- $210 - $220K
- $220 - $230K
- $230 - $240K
- $240 - $250K
- $250 - $260K
- $260 - $270K
- $270 - $280K
- $280 - $290K
- $290 - $300K
- $300 - $310K
- $310 - $320K
- $320 - $330K
- $330 - $340K
- $340 - $350K
- $350 - $360K
- $360 - $370K
- $370 - $380K
- $380 - $390K
- $390 - $400K
- $400 - $410K
- $410 - $420K
- $420 - $430K
- $430 - $440K
- $440 - $450K
- $450 - $460K
- $460 - $470K
- $470 - $480K
- $480 - $490K
- $490 - $500K
- $500 - $510K
- $510 - $520K
- $520 - $530K
- $530 - $540K
- $540 - $550K
- $550 - $560K
- $560 - $570K
- $570 - $580K
- $580 - $590K
- $590 - $600K
- $600 - $610K
- $610 - $620K
- $620 - $630K
- $630 - $640K
- $640 - $650K
- $650 - $660K
- $660 - $670K
- $670 - $680K
- $680 - $690K
- $690 - $700K
- $700 - $710K
- $710 - $720K
- $720 - $730K
- $730 - $740K
- $740 - $750K
- $750 - $760K
- $760 - $770K
- $770 - $780K
- $780 - $790K
- $790 - $800K
- $800 - $810K
- $810 - $820K
- $820 - $830K
- $830 - $840K
- $840 - $850K
- $850 - $860K
- $860 - $870K
- $870 - $880K
- $880 - $890K
- $890 - $900K
- $900 - $910K
- $910 - $920K
- $920 - $930K
- $930 - $940K
- $940 - $950K
- $950 - $960K
- $960 - $970K
- $970 - $980K
- $980 - $990K
- $990K - $1M
Active Market Stats
- 1756 Listings For Sale
- $850,738 Average Listing Price
- $260 Average Listing Price per Square Foot
Sold Market Stats
- 27 Properties Sold