Somerville Real Estate Listings and Information
Somerville is a borough in Somerset County, New Jersey. As of the 2010 United States Census, the borough population was 12,098, and has a total area of 2.4 square miles. Somerville borders the Raritan River to the south, and is the county seat of Somerset County.
Somerville was originally formed as a Town in 1863 within a portion of Bridgewater Township. Somerville was incorporated as a borough by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature in 1909, at which point it was fully set off from Bridgewater Township.
Main Street Somerville today maintains most of its historical buildings, although many are now boutique specialty shops. Somerville has quite a diverse and large selection of restaurants that draw people from the surrounding area. In many ways, Somerville remains Somerset County's downtown, and is the heart of its designated Regional Center.
Several of the factories in Somerville were abandoned and replaced with modern office buildings or remodeled as apartments. The mix of modern amenities and an interesting and diverse past make Main Street, Somerville a unique destination for dining, strolling and visiting.
The Somerville Public Schools serve students in prekindergarten through twelfth grade. Schools in the district are Van Derveer Elementary School (grades PreK-5), Somerville Middle School (grades 6-8) and Somerville High School (grades 9-12). Students from Branchburg Township attend the district's high school as part of a sending/receiving relationship with the Branchburg Township School District.
Immaculate Conception School is a Catholic private coeducational school, founded in 1957, for students in grades Pre-K through 8. Immaculata High School is a private coeducational Roman Catholic high school, founded in 1962, and operated within the Roman Catholic Diocese of Metuchen.
The Somerville train station offers service on New Jersey Transit's Raritan Valley Line, with frequent service to Newark Penn Station, with connecting service to Penn Station New York in Midtown Manhattan.
Several main highways today surround and go through Somerville, including U.S. Route 22, U.S. Route 202, U.S. Route 206 and Route 28 and is within 5 miles of Interstate 287 and Interstate 78, making it an important hub in central New Jersey. The Garden State Parkway passes outside borough limits but can be accessed from exit 140A.
The closest airport with scheduled service is Newark Liberty International Airport.
Somerville Farmers Markets--
- SMC Farmers Market -- Located at 30 Rehill Avenue, (Steeplechase Cancer Center parking lot) on summer Mondays, 2pm-6pm.
- Somerville Farmers Market -- Located at the corner of Grove and East Main Street, (along the historic Somerset County Courthouse green) on summer Thursdays, 12pm-5pm, with the 3rd Thursday of each month until 7 p.m. with live music.
Some restaurants in Somerville include--
- Verve Restaurant (American-New, French) - 18 East Main Street, Somerville
- Origin Thai (French, Thai) - 25 Division Street, Somerville
- Martino's Cuban Restaurant (Cuban) - 212 W Main St, Somerville
- Shumi (Sushi) - 30 S. Doughty Ave., Somerville
- Wasabi Asian Plates (Sushi) - 12 W. Main St., Somerville
- Chao Phaya (Thai) - 9 Davenport St., Somerville
- Bank 34 (Asian) - 34 Division St, Somerville
- Alfonso's Pizzeria (Pizza, Italian) - 99 W Main St, Somerville
- Yutaka Hibachi & Steakhouse (Steakhouse, Japanese) - 90 W Main St, Somerville
- Cafe Picasso (Italian) - 81 W Main St, Somerville
- Tapastre (Mediterranean) - 1 West High Street, Somerville
- The Melting Pot (American, French) - 190 W Main St, Somerville
- Hurry Chutney (Indian, Vegetarian) - 97 Us-206, Somerville
- Mannion's Pub & Restaurant (Irish Pub Food) - 150 West Main Street, Somerville
- Hong Kong Garden (Chinese) - 134 E Main St Ste B, Somerville
- Calabria Mia (Italian, Pizza) - 83 West Main Street, Somerville
- Central Pizzeria & Restaurant (Pizza) - 126 W Main St, Somerville
- Filippo's Autentica Cucina Italiana (Italian) - 132 East Main Street, Somerville
- Splash of Thai (Thai) - 24 E Main St, Somerville
- Gabriela's Portuguese Cuisine (Spanish) - 42 West Main St, Somerville
- Il Pomodoro Ristorante (Italian) - 41 North Bridge Street, Somerville
- Sushi Yokohama Japanese Restaurant (Sushi, Japanese) - 164 W Main St, Somerville
- Ciao Bello Ristorante & Bar (Italian) - 156 North Gaston Avenue, Somerville
- Miami Cafe (Cuban) - 6 West Main Street, Somerville
National Register of Historic Places listings include--
- Delaware and Raritan Canal, Follows the Delaware River to Trenton, then E to New Brunswick, Somerville
- Old Dutch Parsonage, 65 Washington Pl., Somerville—First parsonage of the Dutch Reformed Church in Somerset County and home of Rev. Jacob Hardenburgh, a founder and later first President of Queens College (Rutgers University).
- Daniel Robert House, 25 West End Ave., Somerville--(Somerville Municipal Building), Alexander Jackson Davis design, classic example of American Gothic architecture.
- J. Harper Smith Mansion, 228 Altamont Place, Somerville
- Somerset Courthouse Green, Roughly E. Main St. from Grove St. to N. Bridge St., Somerville
- Van Veghten House, South of Somerville off New Jersey Route 28, Somerville
- Wallace House, 38 Washington Pl., Somerville--Washington's Headquarters during the Middlebrook Encampment of 1778-1779.
- West End Hose Company Number 3, 15 Doughty Av., Somerville
Somerville was settled in colonial times primarily by the Dutch who purchased land from the English proprietors of the colony. The Dutch established their church near what is today Somerville and a Dutch Reformed minister or Domine lived at the Old Dutch Parsonage from about 1754. The early village grew up around a church, courthouse and a tavern built at a crossroads shortly after the American Revolution.
The name "Somerville" was taken from four brothers of the Somerville family, William, Edward, John and James from Drishane and Castlehaven, County Cork, Ireland, who first founded the town in the 1750s. Somerville was originally a sparsely populated farming community, but rapidly grew after the completion of the railroad in the 1840s and development of water power along the Raritan River in the 1850s.
Early industry included brick making from the plentiful red clay and shale on which Somerville is built. While much of the borough features distinctive Victorian architecture in several neighborhoods and along its Main Street, other periods are represented.
Recently Listed - View All
27 Park Ave Somerville Boro, NJ 08876-2301 $239,900 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
128 Green St Somerville Boro, NJ 08876-1517 $466,400 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
148 E Cliff St Somerville Boro, NJ 08876-2406 $419,000 3 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Cape Cod
115 N Middaugh St Somerville Boro, NJ 08876-1829 $299,000 4 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
26 Division St Somerville Boro, NJ 08876-2902 $1,200,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Commercial
379 Catherine St Somerville Boro, NJ 08876-2004 $375,000 3 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
379 Catherine Street Somerville, NJ 08876 $375,000 3 Beds 1 Baths 1,292 Sq Ft Colonial
5 Arlyne Dr Somerville Boro, NJ 08876-1442 $200,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
52 Fieldstone Dr Somerville Boro, NJ 08876-1757 $330,000 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Bi-Level
30 E Orchard St Somerville Boro, NJ 08876-1608 $363,500 3 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
257 E Main St Somerville Boro, NJ 08876-3008 $375,000 4 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Family
21 Central Ave Somerville Boro, NJ 08876-3010 $499,999 4 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
75 N Adamsville Rd Somerville Boro, NJ 08876-2741 $224,900 3 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Ranch
79 Eastern States Pkwy Somerville Boro, NJ 08876-2634 $314,990 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Cape Cod
485 Route 28 Bridgewater Twp., NJ 08807 $320,000 3 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Cape Cod
17 Cammann Pl Somerville Boro, NJ 08876-1803 $364,900 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Ranch
8 Arlyne Dr Somerville Boro, NJ 08876-1442 $455,000 5 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
20 Mechanic St Somerville Boro, NJ 08876-2305 $489,900 8 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Family
420 William St Somerville Boro, NJ 08876-2020 $499,000 4 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
39 Lisa Ter Somerville Boro, NJ 08876-2514 $399,000 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Split-Level
420 William St Somerville Boro, NJ 08876-2020 $525,000 4 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
73 Davenport St Somerville Boro, NJ 08876-1921 $325,000 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
Somerville Boro, NJ 08876-1604 $289,900 2 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
442 E Main St Somerville Boro, NJ 08876-3112 $450,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
Browse Listings by Price Range
Active Market Stats
- 162 Listings For Sale
- $345,897 Average Listing Price
- $290 Average Listing Price per Square Foot
Sold Market Stats
- 26 Properties Sold