Boonton Township Real Estate Listings and Information

Boonton Township

Boonton Township was incorporated by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature in 1867 from portions of Pequannock Township. The borough of Mountain Lakes was formed from portions of the township in 1924.  As of the 2010 United States Census, the township population was 4,445.

Boonton Township provides the luxury of country living with expansive lots that blend with small farms and private lakes.  Transportation options include Interstate 287 as well as commuter bus and train service to New York City.

The Boonton Township School District serves students in public school for kindergarten through eighth grade using Rockaway Valley School. 
For grades 9-12, public school students attend Mountain Lakes High School in Mountain Lakes as part of a sending/receiving relationship agreement in place with the Mountain Lakes Schools.

National Register of Historic Places listings for Boonton--
- James Dixon Farm, NW of Boonton on Rockaway Valley Rd.
- Rockaway Valley Methodist Church, NW of Boonton

Boonton Township's recorded history began about 1710 when William Saget Penn, the Quaker land speculator, located in the northern valley's prime field and woodland acres.  James Bollen, whose bordering "plantation" stretching south toward the Tourne was described as "on the fork of Rockaway with an Indian plantation in it" in 1715.  When the Township of Boonton was created in 1867 by "An Act to Divide the Township of Pequannoc in the County of Morris" most of Penn's and parts of the Bollen's land fell within Boonton Township's boundary.  Boonton Township's official birthday is April 11, 1867.

The first settler of proper record was Frederick DeMouth of French Huguenot extraction. By 1758, his Rockaway Valley plantation within the Penn property and on this land the large Stickle, Bott and Kincaid farms were to prosper.  Frederick Miller of German Palatine birth bought extensive land within the Bollen land at 13 shillings per acre. These founding families were closely followed by the Hoplers, Van Winkles, Cooks, Scotts, Peers, Stickles and Kanouses.

In 1822 North Main Street was "cut" along the proposed Morris Canal route. In 1824, the Morris Canal and Banking Company was chartered with John Scott of Powerville, an important commissioner. Lock Numbers 9, 10 and 11 were constructed in newly named Powerville.

The Powerville Hotel, still standing, was built near Lock Number 11 to accommodate both canal and transient trade. It later gained fame as a pre-American Civil War Underground Railroad station.

Boonton Township

Active Market Stats
  • 36 Listings For Sale
  • $918,379 Average Listing Price
  • $232 Average Listing Price per Square Foot

Average Sale Price in Boonton Township

Average Days on Market for Boonton Township Listings

Average Price per Square Foot in Boonton Township