West Orange Interesting Facts
I am a lifelong resident of West Orange. West Orange is a very charming town with rolling hills located 15 miles from Midtown Manhattan.
Below are some interesting facts about West Orange.
· The first gated community in America is in West Orange. It is called Llewellyn Park. Thomas Edison's home is in the park.
· The Turtle Back Zoo and the South Mountain Ice Skating Arena is in West Orange.
· The Manor, the Pleasantdale Chateau and the Highlawn Pavillion restaurants and catering halls are all in West Orange.
· West Orange borders South Orange, Livingston, Verona, Orange and Montclair.
· West Orange High School was recently rated by Newsweek as #355 out of the Best 500 High Schools in America.
· As an avid golfer myself, there are 5 golf courses in West Orange.
Gregory—The Gregory section of West Orange is the 1st Mountain west of NYC (First Watchung Mountain). On the south side of Gregory is the South Mountain reservation and on the north side is the Eagle Rock reservation.
Downtown West Orange and The Valley—The oldest and most densely populated part of the township is Downtown West Orange. Edison National Historic Site, as well as the municipal building, police headquarters is along Main St. Downtown West Orange has the most urban character of the township's neighborhoods, while the Valley is home to a growing arts district.
Pleasant Valley and Pleasantdale—Just west of Prospect Avenue, you will find suburban neighborhoods, as well as golf courses, professional campuses, and shopping centers. Pleasantdale, a walkable business district in this part of the township, includes a number of restaurants, office buildings, and houses of worship. Pleasantdale is also home to a significant Orthadox Jewish community.
The Second Mountain—The westernmost section of West Orange lies along the 2nd Watchung Mountain, and includes large portions of the South Mountain Reservation. Also you will find suburban neighborhoods like Pleasantdale, as well as those of the adjacent suburban townships of Millburn and Livingston. The Turtle Back Zoo, McCloone's Boathouse (new), Miniature Golf Course (opened in 2010), the Richard Codey Skating Arena and Parking Garage (40-minute direct commute into New York City) are all located just east of the 2nd Mountain.
Click on this link to view Part 1 in my series of videos of West Orange. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsnOYVT205k