Franklin Township Real Estate Listings and Information

Franklin Township

Franklin NJ  


Note:  This article covers Franklin Township, Somerset County, NJ, zip codes 08873 and 08875.  See also--Somerset (CDP), which is the most populated area in the township. 

Franklin Township is the name used in three other counties in New Jersey--
-  Franklin Township, Gloucester County, zip code is 08322.
-  Franklin Township, Hunterdon County, zip code is 08867.
-  Franklin Township, Warren County, zip code is 08808
Franklin Township was also the name of defunct or renamed municipalities:
-  Franklin Township, Bergen County, New Jersey (Historical).
-  Franklin Township, Essex County, New Jersey, now known as Nutley, New Jersey.
There are also two Franklin named boroughs in New Jersey--
-  Franklin, NJ -- is a borough in Sussex County, zip code is 07416.
-  Franklin Lakes, NJ -- is a borough in Bergen County, zip code is 07417.


Franklin Township is a Township in Somerset County, New Jersey.  As of the United States 2010 Census, the township population was 62,300, and has a total area of 46.8 square miles, of which 0.1 square miles of it (0.15%) is water.

Franklin is a diverse community with rural, farmland, suburban, and urban residential areas as well as substantial industry and commerce.  With its favorable tax base and corporate offices along Interstate 287, Franklin is a vital area.  Quaint villages filled with historic sites are scattered throughout the township, including Griggstown, Middle­bush, and East Millstone.  Recreational amenities include golf courses, Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park, playgrounds, athletic fields, tennis courts, and more than 1,200 acres of parks and preserves.

Traditionally a farming community, it has had fast-growing suburban development in the last 20 years.  It is also a diverse community, with a melting pot of races, religions and cultures.  In 2008, Franklin Township ranked #5 on Money Magazine's list of America's Top 100 Best Places to Live.

The following are census-designated places, unincorporated enclaves, and historical communities located within Franklin Township. While they have their own separate identities, they are all unincorporated areas--
-  East Millstone, New Jersey
-  Franklin Park, New Jersey
-  Griggstown, New Jersey
-  Kingston, New Jersey (officially designated as a Village Center by the New Jersey State Planning Commission.)  The Kingston Village Advisory Committee, jointly appointed by the Councils of Franklin and South Brunswick Townships, advises Franklin on matters of concern to Kingston's citizens.
-  Middlebush, New Jersey
-  Pleasant Plains, New Jersey
-  Six Mile Run, New Jersey
-  Somerset, New Jersey (CDP with 2000 population of 23,040)
-  Ten Mile Run, New Jersey
-  Weston, New Jersey
-  Zarephath, New Jersey religious community in western part of the township, centered around the Pillar of Fire Church

The nearest NJ Transit stations to Franklin exist to the east (Jersey Avenue Station--Northeast Corridor - 1.45 miles from the center of the township) and New Brunswick Station - 2.25 miles) and north (Bound Brook Station - 3.61 miles).

Franklin has a variety of county routes, and other major roads that pass through.  Some of the major county routes that are in the township are CR 514, CR 518 and CR 527.  Route 27 runs along the border between New Brunswick, and the townships of both South and North Brunswick.  Interstate 287 runs through the northern part with two interchanges.

The Franklin Township Public Schools serve students in kindergarten through twelfth grade. Schools in the district are six K-4 elementary schools — Conerly Road School, Elizabeth Avenue School, Franklin Park School, Hillcrest School, MacAfee Road School, Pine Grove Manor School — Sampson G. Smith School for grades 5-6, Franklin Middle School for grades 7-8 and Franklin High School for grades 9-12.

Rutgers Preparatory School, a prestigious private day school, is located in Franklin Township and occupies a nearly 400 acre campus between Easton Avenue and the Raritan River.

Points of interest include--
- Franklin Township HSBCC Farmer's Market -- Located at 921 Hamilton Street, Franklin Township (at the corner of Franklin Blvd.) on summer and fall Saturdays, 9am -2 pm.
-  The Ukrainian Cultural Center at 135 Davidson Avenue, serves as the headquarters of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA and includes at the site--
    ---St. Sophia Seminary and Library, founded in 1975,
    ---St. Andrew Memorial Church, completed and consecrated in 1967 in memory of the 7-14 million people who died in the Ukrainian famine of 1932-33 is a unique example of Ukrainian Cossak Baroque architecture in the area,
    ---St. Andrew Cemetery, founded in 1952,
    ---The Ukrainian Historical and Educational Center, founded in 1972, which contains priceless treasures of Ukrainian cultural, historical, social, religious, literary and political life including Easter eggs, lacework, hand embroidery, statuary and church vessels.
    ---The Ukrainian Cultural Center, dedicated in 1985,
    ---St. Andrew Ukrainian School, founded in 1962 and located in the Cultural Center,
    ---St. Andrew Bookstore and Ecclesiastical Supply, founded in 1992,
    ---The historic Fisher Homestead, built in 1688, the home of Heinrich Fisher, New Jersey's delegate to the Continental Congress, and the site of the Fisher Family Cemetery.

Some restaurants include--
- Luca's Restaurant and Pizza (Italian) - 2019 State Route 27, Somerset
- Sophie's Bistro (French) - 700 Hamilton Street, Franklin Twp
- Chao Phaya Thai Cuisine (Thai) - 900 Easton Ave # 20, Somerset
- De Island Breeze (Caribbean) - 676 Franklin Blvd, Somerset
- Jo Sho Restaurant (Japanese) - 120 Cedar Grove Ln # 8, Somerset
- Desert Moon (Mexican) - 456 Elizabeth Avenue, Somerset
- Somerset Diner (American) - 1045 Easton Avenue, Somerset
- Hamilton BBQ Churrasqueira (Barbecue, Portuguese, Spanish) - 841 Hamilton Street, Franklin Twp
- Hoysala Restaurant (Indian) - 2 John F Kennedy Blvd # 5, Somerset
- Pooja Restaurant (Indian) - 1075 Easton Avenue # 15, Franklin Twp
- Steve's Pizza (Pizza) - 900 Easton Ave # 46, Somerset
- Yummy Yummy Chinese Restaurant (Chinese) - 920 Hamilton Street, Somerset
- Mi Amore (Italian) - 120 Cedar Grove Ln Ste 24, Somerset
- Eno Terra Restaurant (Italian) - 4484 Rt. 27, Kingston
- Joe's Italian Deli Pork Store (Sandwiches/Subs) - 3151 State Route 27, Franklin Park    
- Kam Luang Kitchen (Chinese) - 3391 State Route 27 Ste 113, Franklin Park    
- Banglore Express (Indian) - 3211 State Rte 27 Ste 5, Franklin Park
- Tastee Sub Shop II (Sandwiches/Subs) - 3087 Rt-27, Franklin Twp
- Paratha Junction (Indian) - 3201 Route 27, Franklin Park
- Four Musketeers Pizza (Pizza, French) - 3181 State Rte 27, Franklin Park
- Pho 99 Vietnamese Restaurant (Vietnamese, Asian) - 3151 Rt. 27 Unit K, Franklin Park
- Sansone Brothers Pizzeria (Pizza, Sandwiches/Subs, American) - 3191 State Route 27, Franklin Park
- Udipi Cafe (Indian) - 3029 State Rte 27 Ste 4, Franklin Park

Parks and Nature Areas include--
-  Colonial Park -- Part of the Somerset County Park System, is a 685.5-acre facility located in the western portion of Franklin Township near East Millstone.  The park offers recreational activities, including picnicking, hiking, biking, fishing, golf and tennis. It features a 144-acre Arboretum, a 3-acre leash-free dog area, a 1.4-mile fitness parcourse, paddleboat rentals, a unique 18-hole putting course, the 18 hole championship Spooky Brook Golf Course, 3 stocked fishing ponds, softball fields, tennis center, playground, nature trail, a 5-acre Perennial Garden, the Rudolf W. van der Goot Rose Garden, an accredited All-America Rose Selections (AARS) display garden, and the Fragrance and Sensory Garden, designed to be of special interest to visitors who are visually or physically impaired.
-  The John W. Flemer Preserve -- A 7.4-acre preserve adjacent to the Delaware and Raritan Canal in Kingston that features a 2-mile trail on the east bank of the Canal that offers a connection to the tow path on the west side of the Canal for a round trip hike.
- Six Mile Run Reservoir -- NJ Trails and Park: Parking lot is located at 625 Canal Road, Somerset; part of the New Jersey Division of Parks and Forestry, is largely undeveloped and consists of land that is set aside for future water resource needs, and offers numerous hiking trails.
- The Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park -- Runs along much of the western and northern border of Franklin Township. The canal offers many recreational activities, from boating to hiking and biking on the Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park Trail along the shore of the Raritan River.
-  The William L. Hutcheson Memorial Forest -- A 500-acre natural preserve that includes a 65-acre virgin old growth forest designated a National Natural Landmark, is located at 2150 Amwell Rd. (Route 514) about 3/4 of a mile east of East Millstone.
-  The Negri-Nepote Native Grassland Preserve -- A 164-acre preserve located between Bennets Lane and Skillmans Lane in the Somerset section that features 111-acre of grassland, forest and scrubland and a 2.5-acre wetland attracting migratory birds and amphibians with over 3 miles of pedestrian trails, bird boxes and interpretive signage.
-  Spieden & Hoebel Farms, Little Valley Natural Area -- A 120-acre area at 1327 and 1345 Canal Road with several miles of trails through forest and along field edges.  Across Canal Road is access to the Delaware and Raritan Canal tow path and the Millstone River and flood plain.
-  Ten Mile Run Greenway -- A 684-acre greenway over 4 miles in length running between Canal Rd. south of Bunker Hill Road in Griggstown and S. Middlebush Road near Old Vliet Road in Franklin Park.  It runs along the Ten Mile Run.  It features four sections including:
    ---Bunker Hill Natural Area--accessed from the north side of Bunker Hill Road near the intersection of Rt. 27 features trails through mature forest and meadows and along Ten Mile Run stream.  Trails connect to the Griggstown Native Grassland Preserve and the Catalpa Farm areas.
    ---Catalpa Farm--Old Vliet Road offers trails along field edges and a small forest that connect to the Bunker Hill Natural Area.
    ---Environmental Education Center--at 255 Bunker Hill Road, a 95-area that features a deciduous forest known as Graeber Woods, a one-mile self-guided nature trail, and the “Glass House”, a home that has been renovated and is now used as a classroom and conference center to provide a wide range of instructional, hands-on activities in natural habitats, and a 20' climbing tower and a high ropes course adventure area. The Environmental Education Center is a cooperative effort of the Township of Franklin, the Franklin Township Board of Education, and the Green Acres Program. A trail connect to the Griggstown Native Grassland Preserve and the rest of the Ten Mile Run Greenway.
    ---Griggstown Native Grassland Preserve--accessed from Canal Road in Griggstown (1091 Canal Road), has over 100 acres (0.40 km2) of grassland, hundreds of acres of forest, and features over 6 miles of mapped trails.  Trails connect to the other sections of the Ten Mile Run Greenway.

National Register of Historic Places listings include--
- East Millstone Historic District, Amwell Rd. and Delaware & Raritan Canal, East Millstone
- Griggstown Historic District, Roughly Canal Rd. from Old Georgetown Rd. to Ten Mile Run, Griggstown
- Kingston Mill Historic District, Roughly bounded by Herrontown, River, Princeton-Kingston Rds., and lots W of Princeton Twp., Franklin
- Kingston Village Historic District, Roughly New Jersey Route 27 from Raymond Rd. to Delaware & Raritan Canal, Church St., Laurel Ave., Heathcote Brook Rd., & Academy St., Kingston
- The Meadows, 289 Easton Ave., Franklin
- Middlebush Village Historic District, Amwell Rd., S. Middlebush Rd., Railroad Ave., Olcott St., and Debow St., Franklin
- River Road Historic Rural District, Millstone River Rd. from Hillsborough Rd. to Van Horne Rd., Hillsborough and Montgomery Townships, Griggstown
- Rockingham State Historic Site, 84 Laurel Ave. (Route 603), Franklin Township -- George Washington wrote his Farewell Address to the Revolutionary Army while staying here in the fall of 1783.
- Six Mile Run Historic District, Roughly bounded by Grouse Rd., Amwell Rd., Bennetts Ln., New Jersey Route 27, Bunker Hill Rd. and the Millstone R., Franklin Park    
- Six Mile Run Reformed Church, 3037 New Jersey Route 27, Franklin
- Tulipwood, 1165 Hamilton St., Somerset -- a home c. 1892, designed by J. August Lienau for his brother-in-law Stephen Guion Williams whose family owned the Williams & Guion Black Star Line.

Other historic sites include--
- The Blackwells Mills Canal House -- Located at Blackwells Mills Road and Canal Road (598 Canal Road, Somerset) on the Delaware and Raritan Canal, was built around 1835, at the same time as the canal.  It was constructed to house the bridge tender, who would open the swing bridge when canal boats came through, then close it to allow traffic to cross over the canal.  The building is leased from the State and is maintained and operated by the Blackwells Mills Canal House Association in conjunction with the Meadows Foundation.
- Van Wickle House -- a historical house located at 1289 Easton Avenue in Somerset.  Built in 1722 by Dutch settlers, now owned and maintained by The Meadows Foundation.  The home sits next to Rutgers Preparatory School, away from busy Easton Avenue, near a Revolutionary War-era graveyard.
- The Hageman Farm -- Located at 209 South Middlebush Road, Somerset; is a circa 1861 historic farm.  Owned by Franklin Township, the farm is under the stewardship of the Meadows Foundation.
- The Negri-Nepote Native Grassland Preserve -- Purchased in 2003 by Franklin Township, this 164 acre property is between Skillmans Lane to the east, Bennetts Lane to the north, and the Six-mile Run Reservoir site to the west and south.  There are 111 acres of grassland and 53 acres of woodland.
- The Van Liew-Suydam House -- a historical house located at 280 South Middlebush Road, Somerset; was built in the 18th century by Peter Van Liew.  Joseph Suydam later built the part of the house that is visible today.  The newest and largest portion of the house was built in 1875.  Owned by Franklin Township, the farm is under the stewardship of the Meadows Foundation.
- The Wyckoff-Garretson House -- Located at 215 South Middlebush Road, Somerset; was built in 1730 by Cornelius Wyckoff.  The house is currently being restored by the Meadows Foundation.
-  The Franklin Inn, at 2371 Amwell Road (Route 514), East Millstone, NJ a farmhouse built c. 1752 by Cornelius Van Liew, it has also been known as Annie Van Liew's House and, after being remodeled into a tavern and inn, the Franklin House Hotel.

Historically, what is now Franklin Township was originally formed circa 1745 as Eastern precinct.  Franklin Township was incorporated as one of New Jersey's initial group of 104 townships by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature in 1798.  Portions of the township were taken to form South Bound Brook (formed within township, became independent municipality in 1907) and East Millstone (1873, returned to Franklin Township in 1949).

Franklin Township was very much a part of Revolutionary War history and the scene of many raiding parties along Route 27, then known as the King's Highway.  In fact, two British generals, Cornwallis and DeHeister, tried to lure General George Washington and his Continental Army into battle on the plains of Middlebush and East Millstone.  Washington, however, kept his troops at Chimney Rock, just north of Franklin, until the British withdrew.  Several of the prosperous Middlebush farms were destroyed by the British soldiers during their retreat.  In 1777, near the mill on the Millstone River at Weston, the Continental Army and local militia engaged and successfully drove off a British foraging party of about 600 troops, sent out of New Brunswick by General Cornwallis.  In 1783, Washington composed his farewell address to his army while staying at Rockingham near Kingston, NJ.

One of the most important developments for Franklin was the building of the Delaware & Raritan Canal in 1834. Twenty-two miles of this continuous water route from New York to Philadelphia run through the Township.  During the Civil War, up to 200,000 tons of freight were hauled by mule and horse-drawn barges, a great economic boon for the area.  The building of the railroads led to the decline of this once successful mode of transportation.  Today the canal is the source of drinking water and provides recreation for area residents and visitors to the Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park.

Franklin Township enjoyed passenger and freight railroad service during the later half of the 19th century via the Millstone and New Brunswick Railroad (M&NB) which opened in 1854.  The railroad was built and operated by the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR), from a junction with the PRR mainline at Jersey Avenue in New Brunswick, New Jersey to East Millstone, New Jersey.  The M&NB is now known as the Conrail Millstone Secondary Branch.  The branch line is still operated by Conrail up to just west of Clyde Road in Somerset, New Jersey, serving local industry in the industrial section of Somerset.

Franklin Township Community Blog

All Franklin Township Blog Posts

Browse Listings by Price Range

Franklin Township

Active Market Stats
  • 501 Listings For Sale
  • $397,002 Average Listing Price
  • $170 Average Listing Price per Square Foot
Sold Market Stats
  • 59 Properties Sold

Average Sale Price in Franklin Township

Average Days on Market for Franklin Township Listings

Average Price per Square Foot in Franklin Township