Piscataway Real Estate Listings and Information
Piscataway is a Township in Middlesex County, New Jersey. As of the United States 2000 Census, the township population was 50,482, and has a total area of 20 square miles, of which 0.2 square miles of it (1.05%) is water. Piscataway is in the Trenton-Princeton-New Brunswick metropolitan area.
Piscataway Township was formed in 1666, and officially incorporated in 1798. The community is the fifth oldest municipality in New Jersey. Over the years, portions of Piscataway were taken to form Raritan Township (1870, now Edison), Dunellen (1887), Middlesex (1913) and South Plainfield (1926). Society Hill is a census-designated place and unincorporated area located within Piscataway Township.
Piscataway has provided a home base for an impressive collection of businesses and industries through the years. The diverse selection of housing includes both well-kept older homes and newer construction. Local shopping facilities are well developed and blend retail centers with shops.
Piscataway has advanced educational and research facilities due to the presence of Busch and Livingston campuses of Rutgers University, and UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. Historic Camp Kilmer and Rutgers Stadium are also in Piscataway.
Piscataway is often segmented into unofficial sections by local residents which include Bound Brook Heights "the Heights"), New Brunswick Highlands, Lake Nelson, Randolphville, Arbor, New Market, North Stelton, Fellowship Farm and Possumtown. The New Market section historically comprised the Quaker village of Quibbletown. The early name of the village originated from the fact that settlers of different religious denominations quibbled about whether the Sabbath should be observed on Saturday or on Sunday in the village.
In 2008, Money magazine ranked Piscataway 23rd out of the top 100 places to live in America, and in 2010 CNN/Money ranked them 57th. Piscataway is in Raritan Valley--a line of cities in central NJ. Piscataway lies on the south side of Raritan Valley along with New Brunswick, Highland Park, and South Plainfield. Piscataway lies 45 minutes southwest of New York City and 53 minutes northeast of Philadelphia.
Since the opening in 1960 of Interstate Highway 287 the township has proven a highly desirable location for suburban development and many Fortune 500 corporations. Major highways serving Piscataway are CR 501 (along the border with South Plainfield), CR 514 and CR 529. Route 18 Extension passes through as two-lane avenue ending near I-287. Interstate 287 passes through the center of the township for about 4 miles. Other limited access roads that are accessible include the New Jersey Turnpike (I-95) in East Brunswick Township (Exit 9) and neighboring Edison Township (Exit 10).
The Piscataway Township Schools serves about 7,000 students. Schools in the district are the four K-3 elementary schools — Eisenhower Elementary School, Grandview Elementary School, Knollwood Elementary School and Randolphville Elementary School — both Arbor Intermediate School and Martin Luther King Intermediate School for grades 4-5, three middle schools for grades 6-8 — Conackamack Middle School, Quibbletown Middle School and Theodore Schor Middle School — and Piscataway Township High School for grades 9-12.
Other Middlesex County schools include--
- Nu-View Academy Piscataway Campus, 1 Park Ave. - Programs for students with symptoms of; Depression, ADHD, Conduct Disorder, Thought Disorder, or Anxiety Disorder.
- Bright Beginnings Learning Center, 1660 Stelton Rd. - Programs for students with Autism.
- Piscataway Regional Day School, 1670 Stelton Rd. - Programs for students with Autism.
- Raritan Valley Academy, 1690 Stelton Rd. - Programs for students with behavioral disabilities, learning and/or language disabilities.
- Middlesex County Vo-Tech High School Piscataway, 21 Suttons Ln. - Vocational and Technical High School.
Private schools include--
- St. Frances Cabrini School (PreK-8)
- Our Lady of Fatima School (PreK-8)
- Lake Nelson Seventh-day Adventist School (PreK-8)
- Timothy Christian School (K-12)
- An-Noor Academy (PreK-12)
Colleges & continuing education include--
- Rutgers University Busch and Livingston Campuses
- University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Piscataway Campus (which overlaps with Rutgers Busch Campus)
- Cortiva Institute - Somerset School of Massage Therapy
- Gibbs College Piscataway Campus
- StenoTech Career Institute is a technical school in Fairfield that offers court reporting and medical transcription training.
Points of interest include--
- WVPH -- is the community radio station of Piscataway High School and Rutgers University.
- Yurcak Field -- is a multi-purpose soccer and lacrosse stadium, built in 1994, and holds 5,000 people. The stadium is officially named "The Soccer/Lacrosse Stadium at Yurcak Field" in honor of Ronald N. Yurcak, a 1965 All-American Rutgers Lacrosse player. Rutgers University and Major League Lacrosse's New Jersey Pride both host their home games at this stadium.
- Ferrer Colony and Modern School and Fellowship Farm Cooperative Association -- the remnants of the 1910s Utopian societies
- Louis Brown Athletic Center -- is the home of the Rutgers University men's and women's basketball teams. The venue was originally named the Rutgers Athletic Center, and is still referred to as the RAC by many.
- Rutgers Stadium -- is the home of the Rutgers University football team.
Corporate employers include--
- Ingersoll Rand and wholly owned subsidiary Trane
- Hapag-Lloyd America -- an international shipping company
- Pepsi Cola Bottling Group -- a bottling plant.
- Cintas Corporation
- Colgate-Palmolive, Research and Development
- Siemens Hearing Instruments -- is the world’s largest manufacturer of hearing aids
- Telcordia Technologies, World Headquarters
- Johnson & Johnson Health Care Systems Inc.
- Marlabs Inc.
- IEEE -- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
Golf courses include--
- Rutgers Golf Course -- Located at 777 Hoes Lane West, Piscataway Township
- Raritan Landing Golf Course -- Located at 491 Sidney Road, Piscataway Township
- Johnson Park -- River Rd, Highland Park
- Rutgers Ecological Preserve -- Piscataway Township
Some restaurants include--
- Chand Palace (Indian, Vegetarian) - 1296 Centennial Avenue, Piscataway
- Al Dente Ristorante (Italian Northern) - 1665 Stelton Road, Piscataway
- Four Season Thai Cuisine (Thai) - 1353 Stelton Rd, Piscataway
- Cafe Bua (Breakfast/Brunch, Asian, American) - 1353 Stelton Road, Piscataway
- Thai Basil Restaurant (Thai) - 1316 Centennial Avenue, Piscataway
- Biryani House (Indian) - 1665 Stelton Road, Piscataway
- Longhorn (American, Steakhouse) - 1368 Centennial Ave, Piscataway
- Stefano's Pizza and Ristorante (Italian, Pizza) - 1297 Centennial Ave, Piscataway
- Gianni's Pizzarama (Pizza, Italian, Sandwiches/Subs) - 1006 Stelton Rd, Piscataway
- Midori Sushi 2 (Japanese, Sushi, Teriyaki) - 1392 Centennial Ave, Piscataway
- Moe's Southwest Grill (Mexican, Southwestern, Vegetarian) - 604 Bartholomew Rd, Piscataway
- Riparian Restaurant & Lounge (Southern/Soul) - 229 William Street, Piscataway
National Register of Historic Places listings include--
- Ephraim Fitz-Randolph House, 430 S. Randolphville Rd., Piscataway
- Goldman House, 143 School St., Piscataway
- Ivy Hall, 1225 River Rd., Piscataway
- Metlar House, 1281 River Rd., Piscataway
- Isaac Onderdonk House, 685 River Rd., Piscataway
- Randolphville Bridge, Near 618 S. Randolphville Rd., Piscataway
- Road Up Raritan Historic District, Along River Rd., from Ellis Pkwy to 899 River Rd., Piscataway -- Includes nine of the 14 existing historic homes on River Road.
- Matthias Smock House, Off River Rd. (NJ 18), Piscataway
The name Piscataway stems from the area's original European settlers, transplants from near the Piscataqua River defining the coastal border between New Hampshire and Maine, whose name derives from Pisgeu (meaning "dark night") and awa ("Place of"). The area was first settled in 1666 by Quakers and Baptists who had left the Puritan colony in New Hampshire.
The original village settlement of Piscatawaytown is located in present day Edison Township. Piscataway township consists of the following historic villages and areas--
- New Market, known as Quibbletown in the 18th Century
- North Stelton
"Road Up Raritan Historic District" -- The list of historic homes includes:
- John Field House, 625 River Road - circa 1743
- W. Dunham House, (Originally Field House) 649 River Road - circa 1760
- Isaac Onderdonk House, 685 River Road - circa 1750
- Lewis Onderdonk House, 701 River Road - circa 1841
- John Onderdonk House, 730 River Road, first recorded deed, 1854
- Richard Field, Jr. House, 771 River Road - circa 1832
- Matthias Hendricke Smock House, 851 River Road - circa 1720
- Jonathan Smock House, 871 River Road - circa 1850
- Hendrick Smock House, 899 River Road - circa 1865
The D. Runyon House, circa 1780, previously located at 175 Possumtown Road, and the Fitzrandolph House, previously located on the corner of Possumtown Road and Old New Brunswick Road, have been moved to East Jersey Olde Towne, within Johnson Park, 1050 River Road, Piscataway.
Metlar/Bodine House Museum, circa 1728, serves as Piscataway's ownt historical and cultural museum. The displays of local memorabilia include artifacts from prehistoric time to the present. A variety of events are conducted at the Museum, including Afternoon Tea at Raritan Landing, Brown Bag Supper Lecture Series, Acoustic Cafe, and an Archaeology Field School held in the summer months.
Cornelius Low House/Middlesex County Museum, circa 1741, administered by the Middlesex County Cultural and Heritage Commission is located at 1255 River Road. The Georgian home, recently restored, is one of the largest and costliest manor houses in the province of East Jersey. The house is cited by Historic American Building Survey of the Library of Congress. Museum displays focus on the history of New Jersey. Educational exhibits, workshops, interactive displays and special events take place throughout the year.
East Jersey Olde Towne Village is located at 1050 River Road on a picturesque 12-acre site within Johnson Park. The Village is the largest collection of original, reconstructed and replicated 18th and 19th century structures representing the vernacular architecture typical of farm and merchant communities of central New Jersey. The Middlesex County Cultural and Heritage Commission, in cooperation with the Middlesex County Department of Parks and Recreation administers the Village. Some of the structures include the New Brunswick Barracks/Visitors Center, Runyon House, Six Mile Run House, Vanderveer House, Fitzrandolph House/Storytellers Cottage and Smalleytown Schoolhouse. Village activities include seasonal programming, cultural and historic exhibits, demonstrations, student workshops, folk life presentations, storytelling, outdoor concerts, guided tours and more.
Piscataway Community Blog
Recently Listed - View All
101 Haywood Ave 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $629,000 5 Beds 3.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Custom
1253 Brookside Rd 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $305,000 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Other
308 Metlars Ln 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $299,900 4 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Other
834 Maple Ave 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $297,500 4 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Other
8 Canterbury Ct. Ct 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $257,500 3 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Other
439 Rushmore Ave 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $179,900 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Other
834 Maple Ave Piscataway Twp., NJ 08854-3216 $297,500 4 Beds 1 Baths 1,686 Sq Ft Cape Cod
1440 Greenwood Dr 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $358,450 4 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Other
150 Mountain Ave 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $299,900 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Other
1440 Greenwood Dr Piscataway Twp., NJ 08854-2039 $358,450 4 Beds 2 Baths 2,378 Sq Ft Colonial
8 Canterbury Court 2008 Piscataway Twp, NJ 08854 $257,500 3 Beds 1 Baths 1,070 Sq Ft Attached
116 Sturbridge Dr Piscataway Twp., NJ 08854-5139 $449,900 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
135 Nebula Rd Piscataway Twp., NJ 08854-5436 $285,000 2 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
321 Ventnor Ct Piscataway Twp., NJ 08854-2195 $229,000 2 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
223 Grandview Ave 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $299,000 2 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Custom
15 Mansfield Rd 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $279,900 3 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Custom
202 Jesse Way 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $245,900 2 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
10 Hedgerow St 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $399,950 3 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
10 Hedgerow St Piscataway Twp., NJ 08854-6501 $399,950 3 Beds 2.5 Baths 1,583 Sq Ft Colonial
65 Lehigh Ave Piscataway Twp., NJ 08854-6070 $241,000 3 Beds 1.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Cape Cod
10 Hedgerow Street Piscataway, NJ 08854 $399,950 3 Beds 2.5 Baths 1,583 Sq Ft Colonial
7 Lily Ln 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $545,000 3 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
6 Gemma Ct 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $435,000 3 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
154 Stelton Rd 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $1,350 0 Beds 0 Baths 3,200 Sq Ft Other
Upcoming Open Houses - View All
29 Devon Dr 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $510,000 5 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 12-3pm
1885 West 5th St 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $499,900 4 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $419,000 3 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
1 Meadowbrook Ln 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $385,000 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft OtherOpen HousesSun 12-3pm
386 Draco Rd 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $377,900 3 Beds 3.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft OtherOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
24 Lake Park Dr 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $329,900 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft OtherOpen HousesSun 1-3pm
368 Draco Rd 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $329,000 2 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 1:00-3:30pm
834 Maple Ave 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $297,500 4 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft OtherOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
15 Mansfield Rd 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $279,900 3 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft CustomOpen HousesSat 12:01-3:01pmSun 1:01-3:01pm
8 Canterbury Ct. Ct 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $257,500 3 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft OtherOpen HousesSun 1-3pm
8 Canterbury Court 2008 Piscataway Twp, NJ 08854 $257,500 3 Beds 1 Baths 1,070 Sq Ft AttachedOpen HousesSun 1-3pm
132 Keswick Dr 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $254,900 2 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 1-3pm
251 Dorset Ct 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $252,900 2 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
130 Wayne Ave 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $249,000 2 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft OtherOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
849 Maple Ave 1217 - Piscataway, NJ 08854 $175,000 2 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft OtherOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
Browse Listings by Price Range
Active Market Stats
- 271 Listings For Sale
- $350,155 Average Listing Price
- $203 Average Listing Price per Square Foot
Sold Market Stats
- 49 Properties Sold
- $211 Average Sale Price per Square Foot