Old Bridge Real Estate Listings and Information

Old Bridge

Old Bridge NJ  


Old Bridge is a census-designated place (CDP) in Old Bridge Township, in Middlesex County, New Jersey.  The population of Old Bridge CDP was 22,833 at the 2000 census, and the CDP has a total area of 7.2 square miles, with only 0.1 square miles of it (1.67%) being water.

Old Bridge Township is a Township in Middlesex County, New Jersey.  As of the United States 2000 Census, the township had a total population of 60,456.

What is now Old Bridge Township was originally incorporated as Madison Township by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature in 1869, from portions of South Amboy Township (now City of South Amboy).  In a referendum held in 1975 voters approved changing the township's name to Old Bridge Township to avoid confusion with the borough of Madison in Morris County.

Use of the name Old Bridge for a location "on the Camden and Amboy Railroad, about eight miles beyond South Amboy" or "about seven miles from South Amboy" goes back, however, to at least 1853.  Laurence Harbor and Cliffwood Beach are also sections of Old Bridge Township.

The expansive township of Old Bridge was primarily farmland until the early 1950s.  While significant stretches of land are still devoted to agriculture and the 1000-acre Cheesequake State Park, the community is developing into a residential haven with considerable retail activity.  Horse properties, larger lots, and generous acreage are still available. 

The Old Bridge Township Public Schools serve students in kindergarten through twelfth grade.  Schools in the district are twelve K-5 elementary schools — M. Scott Carpenter, Cheesequake, Leroy Gordon Cooper, Virgil I. Grissom, James A. McDivitt, Madison Park, Memorial, William A. Miller, Walter M. Schirra, Alan B. Shepard, Southwood and Voorhees — both Jonas Salk Middle School and Carl Sandburg Middle School for grades 6-8 and Old Bridge High School for grades 9-12.

Old Bridge has one of the oldest and largest programs in the state for students who are handicapped, starting at the age of 2.

The Garden State Parkway passes through Old Bridge for about 1¾ miles and houses Interchange 120. Other routes, such as U.S. 9, Route 18, Route 34 and Route 35 also pass through the township. Old Bridge Airport is located 5 miles south of the central business district. Some major county routes that pass through are County Route 516, County Route 520 and County Route 527.

The New Jersey Turnpike (Route 95) is minutes north along Route 18 outside the township in bordering East Brunswick Township (Exit 9) and not too far also in bordering Monroe Township (Exit 8A).

Old Bridge also borders Matawan Borough on Route 34, and the Aberdeen-Matawan (NJT station).  There is a large New Jersey Transit Bus Terminal along Route 9 North, close to Ernston Road. New Jersey Transit bus operations provide service 68 to Journal Square/Lincoln Harbor 138 to Port Authority Bus Terminal, and 818 to New Brunswick.

Old Bridge Airport (FAA LID: 3N6) is a public-use airport located five miles south of the central business district of the township of Old Bridge. The airport is privately owned. The airport is located next to Old Bridge Township Raceway Park.

Raritan Bay Medical Center has two hospitals in the area. Old Bridge division and Perth Amboy division.  The Old Bridge Division is located at the intersection of New Jersey Route 18 and Ferry Road.  This hospital handles all but trauma cases.  Most trauma cases are handled by Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in nearby New Brunswick.

Major streams/rivers in Old Bridge include--
-  South River
-  Matchaponix Brook
-  Deep Run
-  Tennets Brook
-  Barclay Brook
-  Cheesequake Creek

Township attractions include--
-  Old Bridge Township Raceway Park
-  Cheesequake State Park
-  Laurence Harbor Beachfront
-  Old Bridge Ice Arena
-  Old Bridge Airport
-  Numerous parks, including: Old Bridge County Park, Veteran's Park, Manino Park, Phillips Park and Geick Park.

Points of Interest include--
-  Cheesequake State Park, one of the oldest in the country, opening in 1940 is located in Old Bridge.  With this park near the Garden State Parkway interchange 120, New Jersey Route 34 and New Jersey Route 35 the park is often closed due to overcrowding.
-  Old Bridge Township Raceway Park, the world renown racetrack that hosts funny car and drag races, is located off Rt 527 (Englishtown Road) near the township's border with Manalapan and Monroe.
-  Old Bridge Township shares a border with New York City, sharing a boundary with the borough of Staten Island separated only by the Raritan Bay.
-  The Kepec Chemical Company in the Genoa section (off County Road) is where the Rosenburgs allegedly contacted Russian spies in 1950. The FBI conducted surveillance of the building at the corner of Biondi Avenue and Gordon Street.  Only a few bricks remain to mark this location at the foot of Columbus Avenue.  In the past decade or so, this old Genoa section has experienced new houses and the demolition of old.

Old Bridge Farmers Market, located at One Old Bridge Plaza, Municipal Complex, Old Bridge (Route 516 and Cottrell Rd.), is open summer and fall Wednesdays, 11am-7pm.

Some restaurants include--
- Bacci Restaurant (Italian and Pizza) - 3857 County Rd 516, Old Bridge
- Cafe Patanaro (Italian) - 24 State Rte 34 Ste C, Old Bridge
- Bagel Boy (Bagels and Sandwiches) - 2329 Route 516, Old Bridge
- Thai Thai Restaurant (Thai) - 3843 County Rd 516, Old Bridge
- Giusseppe's (Sandwiches/Subs, Italian) - 2581 County Rd 516, Old Bridge
- Double D Market & Catering (Sandwiches/Subs) - 2595 County Rd 516, Old Bridge
- Melesurgo's Deli (Sandwiches/Subs, Bagels) - 1151-B Englishtown Rd., Old Bridge
- Ciccone Italian Deli (Sandwiches/Subs) - 3135 Us Hwy 9, Old Bridge
- A Tavola (Italian) - 3345 Us Hwy 9, Old Bridge
- Ponte Vecchio (Italian and Seafood) - 3863 County Rd 516, Old Bridge
- Pine Tavern (American) - 151 Rte. 34, Old Bridge
- Krispy Pizzeria (Italian) - 2323 Highway 516, Old Bridge?
- Wife's Kitchen (Chinese) - 2565 Highway 516, Old Bridge?
- Thai Shangri-La (Thai) - 2590 Route 516 West, Old Bridge

National Register of Historic Places listings include--
- Cedar Grove School, E of Old Bridge on NJ 516, Old Bridge

The first inhabitants of the area known as Old Bridge were the Lenni Lenape Indians.  They, like many people today, migrated to the shore along the Raritan each summer from their hunting grounds in the north.

When the Dutch and British began to settle the area in the early and mid 1600’s, the Raritan River and Bay were heavily utilized as water transportation and commercial trading routes.  Sailing sloops in the 18th century, replaced in the early part of the 19th century by steamboats, carried farm produce, flour, wood, shingles, and oysters to New York City and other eastern seaports, and to more distant lands such as Barbados and Ireland.

Cheesequake Creek, in particular, was a busy, bustling navigations route with inns, taverns, and a small village lining its banks.  The rich beds of the Cheesequake Creek, first used by the Indians, led to the development of potteries near the headwaters of the Creek and subsequent thriving clay related industries in Middlesex County and New Jersey.

When the English gained control from the Dutch in 1664 the state was divided into two provinces, East and West Jersey.  In 1684, South Amboy Township was formed.  At that time, it covered an area that now consists of the Townships of Monroe and Old Bridge and the Boroughs of Sayreville and South Amboy.

The forty-two square miles that comprise the Township separated from South Amboy in 1869 and was called Madison Township until 1975, when the name was changed by referendum to the Township of Old Bridge.

The coming of the railroads in the early and mid-1800’s curtailed much of the commercial activity of the sailing ships and steamboats.  Not only was the Old Bridge waterfront a scene of commercial and navigational activity, but the area was also well known and heavily used for recreation pursuits.

Horses and buggies and wagons, rich and poor, all crowded to the beach.  In the late 1880’s, some went bathing and there were pavilions.  Games and picture taking were enjoyed as well as other activities as the automobile became popular.  Thousands of people still flock to the Jersey Shore each summer to carry on an early tradition.  The shore is still a healthy, happy and pleasant place to be during the hot and humid weather.

The 1980’s was a decade of renaissance for the Old Bridge waterfront. Significantly, the State of New Jersey had established a policy of upgrading and enhancing the State’s waterways in the 1980’s.  This policy evolved through continued efforts in planning and regulating development in the coastal area which culminated in a Presidential directive that 1980 be designated as "The Year of the Coast".

In 1995, as part of the Shore Protection Beach revitalization project, two new groins (jetties) were built off the Laurence Harbor beachfront and the entire beach was replenished with new sand.  A New Jersey Shore Protection grant of $2,100,000 was provided for the project.

In 1998, the Middlesex County Park Commission leased the shorefront from the Township and planned the development of a major waterfront park.

In March 1999, the State Department of Environmental Protection awarded the Township with a $300,000 grant to repair the Laurence Harbor Beach groin (jetty).  Since the old groin was already included in the County’s plan for improvements, the $300,000 grant will be used for additional site work and recreational amenities.

Other historical items of note include--
- The Cottrell homestead is a landmark in Old Bridge.  It was built in 1831 and still stands today on the northeast corner of Route 516 and Cottrell Road.  The Cottrells owned a 150-acre apple orchard that was located across the street from their home.
-  Many small ponds in the area are remnants of clay pits dug in the 19th century, as clay was a major industry. The Perrine clay pit was located near Route 9 and Ernston Road.
-  The Runyon coal yards were located off Bordentown Avenue.  Rail cars at this yard were used to transport their loads to the South Amboy docks, where the coal was shipped to New York City.
-  Pilings of former docks can be found by foot traversing Steamboat Landing Road, also known as Dock Road, which is the extension of Cottrell road at its intersection with Route 34.
-  The Ochwald Brickworks began operation in 1910 and continued operation into the early 1960s.  On site and far into the woods and field behind, remnants of old bricks can still be found.
-  A mass grave in a cemetery off Ernston Road holds the remains of over a dozen unidentified victims of the T. A. Gillespie Company Shell Loading Plant explosion of 1918.  This plant exploded in the Morgan section of neighboring Sayreville killing over an estimated 100 persons.  Shock waves were felt as far north as Newark.
-  A horse-racing track used to be located where present day Lakeridge development now stands near the border with Matawan Borough.
-  A cold war era Nike missile base is located off U.S. Route 9 on Jake Brown Road.  Listed in Weird NJ as a haunted site, readers frequent this area and explore the fields were former base worker residences once stood.  The actual base was purchased by Old Bridge Township Board of Education and is currently used to store their own supplies and vehicles.  The former underground silos and tunnels were flooded and caved in when the US Military closed the base.

Browse Listings by Price Range

Old Bridge

Active Market Stats
  • 103 Listings For Sale
  • $390,357 Average Listing Price
  • $214 Average Listing Price per Square Foot
Sold Market Stats
  • 18 Properties Sold

Average Sale Price in Old Bridge

Average Days on Market for Old Bridge Listings

Average Price per Square Foot in Old Bridge