Newark Real Estate Listings and Information
Newark is the largest city in New Jersey, United States, and the county seat of Essex County. Newark has a 2010 United States Census Bureau population of 277,140, making it the largest municipality in New Jersey. Newark is 24.14 square miles in area. It has the second smallest land area among 100 most populous cities in the U.S, after neighboring Jersey City.
Newark is located in the heart of New Jersey's Gateway Region, approximately 8 miles west of Manhattan. Its location near the Atlantic Ocean on Newark Bay has helped make its port facility, Port Newark, the key container shipping facility for the New York metropolitan area, and the largest on the East Coast. It is the home of Newark Liberty International Airport, the first municipal commercial airport in the United States, and one of the busiest today.
Newark was originally founded in 1666 by Connecticut Puritans led by Robert Treat from the New Haven Colony. The city saw tremendous industrial and population growth during the 19th century and early 20th century, and experienced racial tension and urban decline in the second half of the 20th century, exemplified by the 1967 Newark riots. The city has experienced some revitalization during the 1990s and early 21st century.
Newark is essentially a large basin sloping towards the Passaic River, with a few valleys formed by meandering streams. In the 19th century and early 20th century, the wealthy congregated on the ridges of Forest Hill, High Street, and Weequahic.
Newark is surrounded by residential suburbs to the west (on the slope of the Watchung Mountains), the Passaic River and Newark Bay to the east, dense urban areas to the south and southwest, and middle-class residential suburbs and industrial areas to the north. The city is the center of New Jersey's Gateway Region.
It is the 68th largest city in the U.S. and one of the nation's major air, shipping, and rail hubs. This ethnically diverse city (second-most diverse city in the state after neighboring Jersey City) is divided into five wards, and contains a variety of neighborhoods ranging in character from bustling urban districts to quiet suburban enclaves.
The city's five political wards are often used by residents to identify their place of habitation. In recent years, residents have begun to identify with specific neighborhood names instead of the larger ward appellations. Nevertheless, the wards remain relatively distinct. Industrial uses, coupled with the airport and seaport lands, are concentrated in the East and South Wards, while residential neighborhoods exist primarily in the North, Central, and West Wards.
The Central Ward also used to be known as the old Third Ward contains much of the city's original history including the Lincoln Park, Military Park and the James Street Commons Historic Districts. The Ward contains the University Heights, The Coast/Lincoln Park, Government Center, Springfield/Belmont and Seventh Avenue Neighborhoods. The increased academic footprint in the University Heights Neighborhood has produced a gentrification, with landmark buildings seeing new life.
Located in the Central Ward is the largest health sciences university in the nation, UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School. It is also home to three other universities – New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT), Rutgers University - Newark, and Essex County College. The Central Ward forms the present-day heart of Newark.
Newark's North Ward is the ridge to the east of Branch Brook Park, and is home to approximately 55,000 residents. Its neighborhoods include Broadway, Mount Pleasant, and the affluent Forest Hill and Roseville sections.
The West Ward comprises the neighborhoods of Vailsburg, Ivy Hill, West Side, and Fairmount.
The South Ward comprises the Weequahic, Clinton Hill, Dayton, and South Broad Valley neighborhoods. The city’s second-largest hospital, Newark Beth Israel Medical Center, can be found in the South Ward.
Finally, the East Ward consists of Newark's downtown commercial district, as well as the Ironbound neighborhood, where much of Newark's industry was located in the 19th century. Today, due to the enterprise of its immigrant population, the Ironbound (also known as "Down Neck") is a very successful part of Newark. Newark's most active and safest neighborhood, this enclave is home to much of the city's best dining options. The name refers to the railroad tracks that surrounded the area long ago, as well as the forges and foundries that were here in the late 1800s.
Newark has the eighth highest density in the nation of any city with over 250,000 residents. Poverty has been a problem in Newark, hampering its revitalization. In 1996, TIME Magazine ranked Newark "The Most Dangerous City in the Nation", but the number of murders in 2008 dropped to 65, and the lowest in the city since 2002 when there were also 65 murders.
In the 2006 Morgan Quitno survey, Newark was ranked as the 22nd most dangerous city in the United States out of 371 municipalities. In the 2007 rankings, now performed by CQ Press, Newark was the 20th most dangerous city in America of 378 cities surveyed. In 2008, Newark was ranked as the 24th most dangerous city, and as of 2010, stands at 23rd. In March, 2010, Newark enjoyed its first month without a homicide since 1966.
Newark has over 300 types of business. Portions of Newark are part of an Urban Enterprise Zone. In addition to other benefits to encourage employment within the Zone, shoppers can take advantage of a reduced 3½% sales tax rate (versus the 7% rate charged statewide).
Newark is the third-largest insurance center in United States, after New York City and Hartford. The Prudential Financial and Mutual Benefit Life companies originated in Newark. Prudential, one of the largest insurance companies in the world, is still headquartered in Newark.
Though Newark is not the industrial colossus of the past, the city does have a considerable amount of industry. The southern portion of the Ironbound, also known as the Industrial Meadowlands, has seen many factories built since World War II, including a large Anheuser-Busch brewery. The service industry is also growing rapidly, replacing those in the manufacturing industry, which was once Newark's primary economy. In addition, transportation has become a growing business in Newark.
Newark based companies:
* Prudential Financial
* IDT Corporation (International Discount Telecommunications)
* Horizon Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Jersey
* PSEG (Public Service Enterprise Group)
* McCarter & English, LLP
* New Jersey Transit
* Panasonic (starting in 2013)
Panasonic will move its North American headquarters to Newark in 2013.
Port Newark is the part of Port Newark-Elizabeth Marine Terminal and the largest cargo facility in the Port of New York and New Jersey. Located on Newark Bay, it is run by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and serves as the principal container ship facility for goods entering and leaving the New York metropolitan region and the northeastern quadrant of North America. The Port is the fifteenth busiest in the world today, but was number one as recently as 1985. In 2003 the Port moved over $100 billion in goods. Plans are underway for billions of dollars of improvements - larger cranes, bigger railyard facilities, deeper channels, and expanded wharves.
Most of Newark's academic institutions are located in the city's University Heights district. Colleges and universities with campuses in Newark include--
- New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT)
- Rutgers University - Newark
- Seton Hall University School of Law
- University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (Newark Campus)
- Essex County College
- Berkeley College
The Newark Public Schools, a state-operated school district, enrolls approximately 45,000 students, making it the largest school system in New Jersey. The district is one of 31 Abbott Districts statewide. The city's public schools are among the lowest-performing in the state, struggling with low high school graduation rates and low standardized test scores. The one exception to this appears to be Science Park High School, which was ranked among the top seventy five high schools in the state by New Jersey Monthly Magazine, and has more than ninety-five percent of their grads going on to four year colleges and universities.
The total school enrollment in Newark city was 75,000 in 2003. Pre-primary school enrollment was 12,000 and elementary or high school enrollment was 46,000 children. College enrollment was 16,000. On September 24, 2010. 100 Million dollars was just given to the Newark school district donated by Facebook's creator Mark Zuckerberg. Zuckerberg said he chose Newark because he believes in them.
Private schools include Link Community School, a non-denominational coeducational day school located serving seventh and eighth grades. Saint Benedict's Preparatory School is an all boys Roman Catholic high school founded in 1868 and conducted by the Benedictine monks of Newark Abbey. Its campus has grown to encompass both sides of MLK Jr. Blvd. near Market Street and includes a dormitory for boarding students. Saint Vincent Academy is an all girls Roman Catholic high school, founded and sponsored by the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth and operated continuously since 1869. Christ The King Prep, founded in 2007, is part of the Cristo Rey Community.
Recreational amenities include sports leagues, 40 lush parks, free concerts, recreation centers, Camp Watershed with 35,000 lush acres, athletic fields, tennis courts, and swimming pools.
Newark is a hub of air, road, rail, and ship traffic, making it a significant gateway into the New York metropolitan area and the northeastern United States. Newark Liberty International Airport, the second-busiest airport in the New York region and the fourteenth-busiest in the United States (in terms of passenger traffic). Just east of the airport lies Port Newark, the fifteenth-busiest port in the world and the largest container port on the eastern seaboard.
Newark is served by numerous highways including the New Jersey Turnpike (Interstate 95), Interstate 280, Interstate 78, the Garden State Parkway, U.S. Route 1/9, U.S. Route 22, and Route 21. Newark is connected to the Holland Tunnel and Lower Manhattan by the Pulaski Skyway, spanning both the Passaic and Hackensack Rivers.
Local streets in Newark conform to a quasi-grid form, with major streets radiating outward (like spokes on a wheel) from the downtown area. Some major roads in the city are named after the towns to which they lead, including South Orange Avenue, Springfield Avenue, and Bloomfield Avenue. These are some of the oldest roads in the city.
Newark is second in the U.S. to New York City in the proportion of households without an automobile, and is extensively served by mass transit. Newark Penn Station, situated just east of downtown, is a major train station, connecting the interurban PATH system (which links Newark to Manhattan) with three New Jersey Transit commuter rail lines and Amtrak service to Philadelphia and Washington, D.C.
Only one mile north, the Newark Broad Street Station is served by two commuter rail lines. The two train stations are linked by the Newark Light Rail system, which also provides services from Newark Penn Station to Newark's northern communities and into the neighboring towns of Belleville and Bloomfield. Built in the bed of the Morris Canal, the light rail cars run underground in Newark's downtown area.
The city's third train station, Newark Liberty International Airport, connects the Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Line to the airport via AirTrain Newark. Bus service in Newark is provided by New Jersey Transit, CoachUSA contract operators, and DeCamp in North Newark.
Newark is served by New Jersey Transit bus routes 1, 5, 11, 13, 21, 25, 27, 28, 29, 34, 37, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 59, 62, 65, 66, 67, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, 90, 92, 93, 94, 96, 99, 107, and 108. Bus route 308 is an express bus route to Six Flags Great Adventure from Newark Penn Station while 319 is an express service to Atlantic City.
Newark is home to four hospitals--
- The University Hospital -- is the principal teaching hospital of the UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School and is the busiest Level I trauma center in the state. UMDNJ also provides 24/7 emergency medical services to the city.
- Newark Beth Israel Medical Center -- is the largest hospital in the city and is a part of the Saint Barnabas Health Care System, the state's largest system of hospital and health care facilities. Beth Israel is also one of the oldest hospitals in the city, dating back to 1901.
- Children's Hospital of New Jersey -- Beth Israel's 669-bed regional facility is also home to the the Children's Hospital.
- Cathedral Health East operates St. Michael's Medical Center.
Newark Farmer's Markets include--
- NDD Common Greens Farmers Market - PSE&G Plaza in Downtown Newark
Open summer and fall Thursdays, 11 am - 3 pm
- The Commons at Washington Park Farmers Market - Washington & James St., Newark
Open summer and fall Wednesdays, 11am-3pm
- The University Hospital Auxiliarys Farmers Market - 150 Bergen Street, Newark
Open summer and fall Tuesdays, 11am-3pm
Golf courses include--
- Weequahic Golf Course - Dayton/Weequahic Park, Newark
Points of Interest include--
- Beaux-Arts Architecture -- Such as the Veterans' Administration building, the Newark Museum, the Newark Public Library, and the Cass Gilbert-designed Essex County Courthouse.
- Art Deco Architecture -- Include several 1920s era skyscrapers, such as the National Newark Building (Newark's tallest building), the restored Newark Penn Station, and Arts High School.
- Gothic Architecture -- Can be found at the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart by Branch Brook Park, which is one of the largest gothic cathedrals in the United States. It is rumored to have as much stained glass as the Cathedral of Chartres.
- Moorish Revival Architecture -- Include Newark Symphony Hall and the Prince Street Synagogue, one of the oldest synagogue buildings in New Jersey.
- Sculpture works by Gutzon Borglum — Wars of America in Military Park and Seated Lincoln in front of the Essex County Courthouse.
- New Jersey Performing Arts Center -- Located near Military Park, which since its opening in 1997 has become one the most visited in the United States. NJPAC is involved in the construction of One Theater Square, a mixed-use skyscraper in the heart of the cultural district. The center's programs include world renowned national and international music, dance, and theater.
- Newark Symphony Hall -- Located at 1020 Broad St., home to the Garden State Ballet, which hosts an academy there. Known as the Salaam Temple when it was built by the Shriners in 1925, it astounds with its Greek and Egyptian architectural schemes. The 1925 neo-classic building has three performance spaces, including the main concert named in honor of famous Newarker Sarah Vaughn. The venue programs rhythm and blues, rap, hip-hop, and gospel music concerts.
- Newark Boys Chorus -- Founded in 1966, has gained a world-wide reputation, performs regularly in the city.
- The African Globe Theater Works -- Presents a new works seasonally.
- The biennial Geraldine R. Dodge Poetry Festival -- Took place in Newark for the first time in 2010. - Venues at the universities in the city are also used to present professional and semi-professional theater, dance, and music.
- Prudential Center -- Since its opening in 2007 it is home to the NHL New Jersey Devils and NBA New Jersey Nets, temporary home to the WNBA New York Liberty; it is also host to Seton Hall college basketball, major concerts plus special events.
- Riverfront Stadium -- Home to the Newark Bears, a minor league baseball team affiliated with the Can-Am League.
- Newark Museum -- Founded in 1909, the museum (49 Washington St.) is the largest museum in New Jersey. It has a first-class American art collection and its Tibetan collection is considered one of the best in the world. Also contains science galleries, a planetarium, a gallery for children's exhibits, a fire museum, a sculpture garden and an 18th century schoolhouse. Part of the museum is the historic John Ballantine House, a restored Victorian mansion which is a National Historic Landmark. The museum co-sponsors the Newark Black Film Festival, which has premiered numerous films since its founding in 1974.
- Newark Public Library -- One of the city's architectural gems, this Italian-Renaissance building was constructed in 1903. The state's largest system with 11 locations, also produces a series of historical exhibits. The library houses more than a million volumes and has frequent exhibits on a variety of topics, many featuring items from its Fine Print and Special Collections.
- Museum of African American Music -- In 2004, plans were announced for a new Smithsonian-affiliated Museum of African American Music to be built in the city's Coast/Lincoln Park neighborhood. The museum will be dedicated to black musical styles, from gospel to rap. The new museum will incorporate the facade of the old South Park Presbyterian Church, where Abraham Lincoln once spoke. The Lincoln Park/Coast Cultural District (LPCCD) is blending arts, cultural planning and event programming with community economic development.
- Jewish Museum of New Jersey -- Located at 145 Broadway in the Broadway neighborhood, the museum opened in 2007 and is dedicated to the cultural heritage of New Jersey’s Jewish people. The museum is located at 145 Broadway at Ahavas Sholom, the last continually operating synagogue in Newark. The Museum and creates rotating and traveling exhibitions, also includes a small library, media center, and gift shop. The historic building, built in 1923, in the Broadway neighborhood is housed is the longest continually operating synagogue in the city.
- Numerous art galleries -- Including Aljira, City Without Walls, Gallery Aferro, Rupert Ravens Contemporary, Sumei Arts Center, and the Paul Robeson Galleries at Rutgers-Newark.
- Military Park -- Designed as a training place for soldiers when the city was planned in 1667, the park became known in 1869 as the town Commons. There are a number of important pieces of statuary in Military Park, including the “Wars of America” monument created by Gutzon Borglum, unveiled in 1926.
- Branch Brook Park -- Located at Lake Street and Ballantine Parkway, Branch Brook was the first county park in the country to be opened for public use, Branch Brook Park was developed in the 1890s. Some 360 acres, largely sculpted by the firm of Frederick Law Olmsted, cradle athletic fields and open meadows, streams and a lake, and 3,000-plus cherry trees.
- New Jersey Historical Society -- Located at 52 Park Place on Military Park, is a Georgian building vacated by the Essex Club. Founded in 1845, the Society houses collections of books, pamphlets, paintings, furniture, and memorabilia about New Jersey, and publishes the academic journal, New Jersey History. The Historical Society's library is housed in the old squash courts of the Essex Club and has two floors of exhibition space, a gift shop, and a hall for lectures. The third floor is a permanent exhibition on New Jersey's natural resources. The second floor has rotating exhibits on New Jersey and Newark.
- Eberhardt Hall -- Located at 323 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Built in 1856-57 as the Newark Orphan Asylum, this red brick and brownstone Elizabethan Gothic building was the South Park Calvary Presbyterian and St. James A.M.E. Churches. It now serves as the administrative offices of the New Jersey Institute of Technology.
- Washington Park -- Now surrounded by commercial and public buildings, the park has been vital to the city since its founding in 1666. Statuary in the 3.4-acre park include likenesses of George Washington, Christopher Columbus, Seth Boyden, and Abraham Coles. At the park's north end stands a sculpture stanchion -- "The Indian and the Puritan" -- by Gutzon Borglum, who has three other works in Newark.
- The Newark City Subway -- A 3.8-mile underground and ground-level rapid transit system, one of the few in the nation using trolley cars, the subway operates in what was once the bed of the Morris Canal. It was built as a WPA project and opened in 1935. A trip on the subway, from beneath Penn Station to its terminus at the Newark-Belleville border, takes 11 minutes.
-- Newark Legal Center -- Located at One Riverfront Plaza, a 20-story office building with a 462-car garage underneath, the facility offers high-tech communication linkages with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey's teleport to Staten Island. The Legal Center is home to some of the largest and most prestigious law firms in the state.
- The Prudential Insurance Company -- Located at 745 Broad St., the 24-story white marble tower in the heart of the downtown business district, known as the Plaza Building, was opened in 1960. Established in 1875, the Prudential got its start in a basement operation on Broad Street. The company subsequently occupied a mammoth Gothic structure, which was finished in 1901 and razed in 1952 to make way for the present tower.
Some churches include--
- Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart -- Located at 89 Ridge St, this French Gothic, stained glass-filled church is where Pope John Paul II held Mass when he visited NJ in 1995. Resembling the great cathedral at Rheims, France, its construction was first proposed in 1896. In 1899, the cornerstone was laid, and the church was completed in 1954. Its towers soar 323 feet, and the cathedral covers some 45,000 square feet. Sacred Heart is the fifth largest cathedral in North America.
- St Patrick's Pro-Cathedral -- Located at 91 Washington St., this massive Gothic brick structure, built in 1849, was Newark's first Roman Catholic Cathedral, serving as the seat of the Archbishop of Newark until Sacred Heart Cathedral was completed.
- Trinity and St Philip's Cathedral -- Located at 608 Broad Streets, originally built in 1746 on a half acre at the north end of the "training ground," now Military Park, the church was used during the Revolutionary War as a hospital and suffered heavy damage. A new church, retaining parts of the old church building and the steeple and portico, was constructed in 1809.
- First Baptist Peddie Memorial church -- Located at 572 Broad Street, this Byzantine granite structure was inspired by the Baths of Pisa in Italy and built through gifts made by Thomas Baldwin Peddie, philanthropist and mayor of Newark in the 1860s, the church was erected in 1890. It features an unusual use of interior spaces, rich paneling, 200 doors, 173 windows -- most of which are stained glass -- and a dome 80 feet above the main auditorium.
- First Presbyterian Church -- Located at 820 Broad St., when Newark was founded in 1666 as a theocracy, First Presbyterian was established as a meeting house. The structure that stands was built and known as Old First Presbyterian. It was started during the Revolutionary War but was not completed and opened until January 1, 1791.
- Grace Episcopal Church -- Located at 950 Broad St.; with the aid of the "Old Trinity," this congregation was organized in 1837 and met in a frame structure until the present facility was completed in 1848. The building, in the English perpendicular Gothic style, has finely detailed Stations of the Cross in the nave, exceptional stained-glass windows, and a delicately ornate ceiling.
- The House of Prayer -- Located at 407 Broad Street, is Newark's third oldest Episcopal church, the House of Prayer was designed by Frank Willis in an English Gothic style.
- St James A.M.E Church -- Located at 588 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Built in 1852 as the High St. Presbyterian Church, this Gothic greystone building features towers, four steeples, and cathedral memorial windows. The congregation, which at one time included a number of local and state leaders, merged with that of Old First Presbyterian Church in 1926. It became an African Methodist Episcopal church in 1944.
- St John's Catholic Church -- Located at 24 Mulberry St. The oldest Roman Catholic church in the city, St. John's was built in 1826 and was the first in the state to have a resident pastor. The church also was the first in Newark to have chimes, which were installed in 1859. Through its special services and consideration of the poor, the church has been known as "the people's church."
- The North Reformed Church -- Located at 510 Broad St., built between 1857-59, the church was constructed without the use of steel or iron.
Some restaurants include--
- Hobby's Delicatessen (Deli, Jewish) - 32 Branford Pl., Newark
- Je's Restaurant (Soul Food, Southern) - 260 Halsey Street, Newark
- Fernandes Steakhouse II (Portuguese, Spanish, Steakhouse) - 152-158 Fleming Ave., Newark
- Casa Vasca (Basque, Tapas) - 141 Elm St., Newark
- Spain (Portuguese, Spanish) - 419 Market St., Newark
- Forno's of Spain Restaurant (Spanish) - 47 Ferry Street, Newark
- Mompou (Tapas) - 77 Ferry St., Newark
- Spanish Tavern (Spanish) - 103 Mcwhorter St # A, Newark
- Tony Da Caneca (Portuguese) - 72 Elm Rd., Newark
- Don Pepe Restaurant & Caterers (Portuguese, Spanish) - 844 McCarter Highway, Newark
- Adega Grill (Portuguese, Spanish) - 130-132 Ferry St., Newark
- Brasilia Grill (Brazilian) - 99 Monroe St., Newark
- Iberia Peninsula Restaurant (Portuguese, Spanish) - 67 Ferry Street, Newark
- Gallagher's Steak House (Steakhouse) - Terminal C (Rte. 95), Newark
- 27 Mix (International, American) - 27 Halsey St, Newark
- Hamburgao (Burgers, Portuguese) - 288 Lafayette St, Newark
- Cooper's Deli (Sandwiches/Subs) - 594 Orange St, Newark
- Taste of Portugal (Portuguese, European, International) - 148 Delancey St, Newark
- Casa Nova Grill Restaurant (Brazilian, Barbecue) - 264 Ferry St, Newark
- Ce Qui Sabe (Brazilian) - 174 Wilson Ave, Newark
- El Merengue (Latin American) - 183 Broadway, Newark
- Elm Street Barbecue II (Barbecue) - 103 Elm St, Newark
- Ferry Street Barbecue (Barbecue, Brazilian) - 89 Ferry St, Newark
- Dannys Deli (Sandwiches/Subs) - 164 University Ave, Newark
- Mc Whorter Barbecue (Barbecue) - 104 McWhorter St, Newark
- Campino (Portuguese) - 70 Jabez St, Newark
- Chateau of Spain (Spanish, Portuguese, American) - 11 Franklin St, Newark
- Robert's Pizzeria (Pizza) - 63 New St, Newark
- Green Street Cafe (Italian, American, Seafood) - 20 Green St, Newark
- Food For Life (Organic) - 37 Commerce Street, Newark, NJ
- Hell's Kitchen Lounge (Gastropub, American-New) - 150 Lafayette St., Newark
- House of Thai Cuisine (Thai) - 59 New St, Newark
- Dario's Restaurant (Mexican) - 20 Academy St, Newark
National Register of Historic Places listings include--
- Ahavas Sholom, 145 Broadway, Newark -- Now site of Jewish Museum of New Jersey
- John Ballantine House, 43 Washington St., Newark -- Now part of Newark Museum. The last vestige of Victorians bordering Washington Park, the Ballantine House was built by one of Newark's major brewers, John Ballantine, in 1885.
- Belleville Avenue Congregational Church, 151 Broadway, Newark
- Bethany Baptist Church (Newark, New Jersey), 117 W. Market St., Newark
- Branch Brook Park, Roughly bounded by Belleville Park, Washington and Clifton Aves., 6th and Orange Sts., Newark
- Catedral Evangelica Reformada, 27 Lincoln Park and Halsey St., Newark
- Cathedral of the Sacred Heart, 89 Ridge St., Newark
- William Clark House, 346 Mount Prospect Ave., Newark -- Now known as the North Ward Center, it was built in the 1870s by the man who founded the Clark Thread Company during the Civil War. - Community Hospital, 130 W. Kinney St., Newark
- Dock Bridge, Spans Passaic River, Newark
- Essex Club, 52 Park Place, Newark -- Now site of Historical Society of New Jersey
- Essex County Courthouse, 470 High St., Newark -- Completed in 1907, this imposing structure was designed by the renowned architect Cass Gilbert. In front of the courthouse is Gutzon Borglum's celebrated statue of Abraham Lincoln in an informal pose, seated on a bench, which was dedicated in 1911 by President Theodore Roosevelt.
- Essex County Jail, 21 Wilsey St., Newark
- Essex County Park Commission Administration Building, 115 Clifton Ave., Newark
- Evergreen Cemetery, 1137 N. Broad St., Newark
- Feigenspan Mansion, 710 High St., Newark -- A fine, simple four-story mansion designed by Sanford White, the Feigenspan Mansion was built in 1905 by Christian Feigenspan, a wealthy brewer.
- First Baptist Peddie Memorial Church, Broad and Fulton Sts., Newark
- First National State Bank Building, 810 Broad St., Newark
- Forest Hill Historic District, Roughly bounded by Verona Ave., Mt. Prospect Ave., 2nd Ave., and Branch Brook Park, Newark -- A pre-World War II neighborhood in the North Ward, developed by Elias Heller, who owned a file factory in North Newark. From the mid 1800s to the 1920s generations of wealthy Newarkers built hundreds of stately homes in the area in various styles, including Beaux-Arts, Victorian, Colonial, Gothic, and Spanish Revival.
- Four Corners Historic District, Roughly bounded by Raymond Blvd., Mulberry St., Hill St. and Washington St., Newark
- Glencoe, 698 Martin Luther King Blvd., Newark
- Grace Church, Broad and Walnut Sts., Newark
- Griffith Building, 605-607 Broad St., Newark
- Hahne and Company, 609 Broad St., Newark
- Home Office Building--Firemens Insurance, 8-12 Park Pl., Newark
- House of Prayer Episcopal Church and Rectory, Broad and State Sts., Newark
- Indian and the Puritan, Opposite 5 Washington St., Newark
- James Street Commons Historic District, Roughly bounded by Halsey, Warren, Boyden, Bleeker, Orange, and Broad Sts., Newark -- A 20-block section of townhouses along Washington Park, Halsey Street, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd., and James Street.
- James Street Commons Historic District Addendum, 18 Washington Pl., Newark
- Krueger Mansion, 601 High St (aka 601 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.)., Newark -- Believed to be the most expensive home ever built in Newark, this 40-room baroque mansion was constructed in 1888-89 at a cost of about $250,000 for Gottfried Kreuger, a wealthy brewer. In 1958, the building was purchased and renovated by Louis Scott, Newark's first African-American millionaire.
- Lincoln Park Historic District, Lincoln Park, Clinton Ave., and Spruce and Broad Sts., Newark -- This four-acre park was laid out in 1850. Opposite it is Clinton Park, where a copy of the Venice's Colleoni equestrian statue stands. Around the park are brownstone mansions, most of which were constructed in the mid-19th century as the homes of the city's elite. Among these are the Dorothy Ball House at 103 Lincoln Park and the Newark Community School of the Arts at 89 Lincoln Park (occupying two former private houses and a carriage house).
- Military Park Commons Historic District, Roughly bounded by Washington Pl., McCarter Hwy, E. Park St. and Raymond Blvd., Newark -- Designed as a training place for soldiers when the city was planned in 1667, it became known in 1869 as the Town Commons or Lower Commons. The park contains a number of important pieces of statuary. The largest and most impressive work is the “Wars of America” monument created by Gutzon Borglum, which was unveiled in 1926. The newest work is a bust of John F. Kennedy by Jacques Lipschitz unveiled in 1965.
- Mount Pleasant Cemetery, 375 Broadway, Newark -- The oldest cemetery in Newark, Mt. Pleasant opened in 1814. It is the burial ground for many prominent Newarkers and other New Jerseyans.
- Murphy Varnish Works, McWhorter, Vesey, and Chestnut Sts., Newark
- Mutual Benefit Life Insurance Company, 300 Broadway and 2nd St., Newark -- This 18-story office building houses Mutual Benefit's corporate headquarters and eastern home office, completed in 1957.
- New Jersey Bell Headquarters Building, 540 Broad St., Newark -- Built from 1927-29 in a style known as "American Perpendicular," New Jersey Bell's headquarters rise 275 feet. The 20-story structure's facade is adorned by massive Egyptian-style bas-relief sculpture. Its temple-like main lobby, in marble and bronze, depicts telephone communications in classical themes.
- New Point Baptist Church, 17 E. Kinney St., Newark
- Newark Broad Street Station, Broad and University Sts., Newark
- Newark City Hall, 920 Broad St., Newark -- Opened in 1908, the five-story domed structure was built at a cost of more than $2.6 million. As one of the nation's finest Beaux Arts-style buildings, it features massive interior carved marble and fine paneling, a grand central staircase, stained-glass skylights, and decorative plaster and wrought-iron works. The central dome inside is made of copper and is flanked by atria with glass ceilings.
- Newark Female Charitable Society, 305 Halsey St., 41-43 Hill St., Newark
- Newark Metropolitan Airport Buildings, U.S. 22, Newark
- Newark Orphan Asylum, High and Bleeker Sts., Newark College of Engineering, Newark
- North Broad Street Historic District, 136-148 Broad St., Newark
- North Reformed Church, 510 Broad St., Newark
- Old First Presbyterian Church, 820 Broad St., Newark
- Pan American C.M.A. Church, 76 Prospect St., Newark
- Passaic Machine Works-Watts, Campbell & Company, 1270 McCarter Hwy., Newark
- Pennsylvania Station, Raymond Plaza West, Newark -- Completed in 1933, the 293-foot long structure, finished in Indiana limestone, contains many Art Deco details, including aluminum wall relieves and ceiling sculptures.
- Protestant Foster Home, 272-284 Broadway, Newark
- Queen of Angels Church, Belmont Ave. at Morton St., Newark
- Riverbank Park, Roughly bounded by Van Buren, Market, and Somme Sts., and Passaic R., Newark
- Route 1 Extension, US 1 and 9 milepoint: 51.25-54.55, NJ 139 milepoint 0-4.5, Newark
- Salaam Temple, 1020 Broad St., Newark -- Later became Newark Symphony Hall
- Seated Lincoln, Essex Co Court, Jct. of Springfield and Market Sts., Essex County Courthouse Plaza, Newark
- Second Reformed Dutch Church, 178-184 Edison Pl., Newark
- South Park Calvary United Presbyterian Church, 1035 Broad St., Newark
- St. Barnabas' Episcopal Church, W. Market St. and Sussex and Roseville Aves., Newark
- St. Casimir's Roman Catholic Church, 164 Nichols St., Newark
- St. Columba's Church, Pennsylvania Ave. and Brunswick St., Newark
- St. James' A. M. E. Church, High and Court Sts., Newark
- St. John's Church, 22-26 Mulberry St., Newark
- St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church Rectory and School, W. Market St., Newark -- Irish immigrants completed the building of St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church in 1880.
- St. Lucy's Church, 19-26 Ruggiero Plaza, Newark
- St. Mary's Abbey Church, High and William Sts., Newark
- St. Patrick's Pro Cathedral, Washington St. and Central Ave., Newark
- St. Rocco's Roman Catholic Church, 212-216 Hunterdon St., Newark
- St. Stephan's Church, Ferry St. and Wilson Ave., Ironbound
- Stanley Theater, 985 S. Orange Ave., Newark
- State Street Public School, 15 State St., Newark
- Sydenham House, Old Road to Bloomfield, at Heller Pkwy., Newark -- The home of Mr. and Mrs. D.J. Henderson, this early-18th century farmhouse has been faithfully restored by the couple over more than 20 years. The original portion of the house is believed to have been built around 1710 and enlarged four times over the centuries. It remained a possession of the Sydenham family until the 1920s and stands today as the oldest private home in Newark.
- Symington House, 2 Park Place, Newark -- A stately red brick townhouse built in 1808 as the rectory of Trinity Cathedral, the Symington House was purchased by Robert Symington in 1888. Also known as Continental House.
- Temple B'Nai Abraham, 621 Clinton Ave., Newark
- Trinity Cathedral, Broad and Rector Sts., Newark
- Wars of America, Military Park, 614-706 Broad St., Newark
- Weequahic Park Historic District, Roughly bounded by Meeker Ave., Dayton St., the Union County border and Maple Ave., Newark
- Wickcliffe Presbyterian Church, 111 13th Ave., Newark
Newark was originally formed as a township in 1693, based on the Newark Tract, which was first purchased in 1667. Newark was granted a Royal Charter in 1713, and was incorporated as one of New Jersey's initial 104 townships by an act of the New Jersey Legislature in 1798. During its time as a township, portions were taken to form Springfield Township (1794), Caldwell Township (1798, now known as Fairfield Township), Orange Township (1806), Bloomfield Township (1812) and Clinton Township (1834, remainder reabsorbed by Newark in 1902). Newark was reincorporated as a city in 1836, replacing Newark Township. The previously independent Vailsburg borough was annexed by Newark in 1905. In 1926, South Orange Township changed its name to Maplewood. As a result of this, a portion of Maplewood known as Ivy Hill was re-annexed to Newark's Vailsburg.
Innovation and improvements to methods of transportation in Newark could arguably be traced back to the completion of the Morris Canal within Newark. With the canal in place, a greater number of goods and resources were brought it and shipped out. This ultimately led to increased settlement in Newark, vastly increasing the population for years to come.
The Morris Canal also saw its days come to an end, only to be more recently used by the Newark City Subway, now known as the Newark Light Rail. Even today, many of the subway stations still portray the Canal in its original state in the form of mosaic works.
The marshes on Newark Bay were difficult to develop, and for decades were essentially wilderness, with a few dumps, warehouses, and cemeteries on their edges. However in the 20th century, the Port Authority was able to reclaim much of the marshland for the further expansion of Newark Airport, as well as the growth of the port lands.
Newark began as a rural, agrarian settlement and has grown into the state's major urban center. From quaint farmhouses to massive office buildings, gothic churches to gleaming, modern college complexes - a tour of Newark is a journey through history.
Recently Listed - View All
479 Parker St Newark City, NJ 07104-1419 $549,900 6 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
333 Hawthorne Ave Newark City, NJ 07108-1420 $484,900 6 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Family
231 N 12th St Newark City, NJ 07107-1213 $550,000 8 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Family
23 Baldwin Ave Newark City, NJ 07108-1506 $400,000 8 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Family
376 W 3rd Ave Newark City, NJ 07107-1710 $345,000 3 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Cape Cod
211 Grumman Ave Newark City, NJ 07112-1749 $334,900 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
436 N 7th St Newark City, NJ 07107-3722 $429,000 5 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Family
121 Carolina Ave Newark City, NJ 07106-2718 $165,000 6 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Family
51 W End Ave Newark City, NJ 07106-1929 $70,000 5 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Residential
109 Magazine St Newark City, NJ 07105-3425 $350,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
23 Carolina Ave Newark City, NJ 07106-2079 $240,000 4 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
269 Lake St Newark City, NJ 07104-1145 $128,000 4 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Family
109 Oliver St Newark City, NJ 07105-1119 $675,000 6 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Family
171 Camden St Newark City, NJ 07103-2430 $450,000 6 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Family
623 Sandford Ave Newark City, NJ 07106-3024 $354,000 9 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Family
234 Custer Ave Newark City, NJ 07112-2139 $327,000 8 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Family
288 Renner Ave Newark City, NJ 07112-1817 $327,000 11 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Family
277 Fairmount Ave Newark City, NJ 07103-2319 $289,000 9 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Family
112 Lincoln Ave Newark City, NJ 07104-3019 $275,000 5 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Family
63 Jacob St Newark City, NJ 07103-2027 $79,900 4 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
702 S 12th St Newark City, NJ 07103-1734 $675,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Commercial
56 S 12th St Newark City, NJ 07107-1516 $380,000 6 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Family
160 Alexander St Newark City, NJ 07106-1900 $289,000 6 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Family
435 Orange St Newark City, NJ 07107-3122 $265,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Commercial
Browse Listings by Price Range
Active Market Stats
- 1017 Listings For Sale
- $279,108 Average Listing Price
Sold Market Stats
- 27 Properties Sold