Matawan Real Estate Listings and Information
Note: This refers to Matawan, a borough in Monmouth County, New Jersey; there are also in NJ the following similar references--
- Matawan (or Matavan) Township, a former name of Aberdeen Township, New Jersey, in Monmouth County
- Matawan Regional High School, in Aberdeen Township, New Jersey
- Matawan Creek, a stream in northeastern New Jersey
Matawan is a borough in Monmouth County, New Jersey. As of the United States Census of 2000, there were 8,910 people residing in the borough, and it a total area of 2.4 square miles, of which, 0.1 square miles (5.00%) is water.
Matawan is part of the Bayshore Regional Strategic Plan, an effort by nine municipalities in northern Monmouth County to reinvigorate the area's economy by emphasizing the traditional downtowns, dense residential neighborhoods, maritime history, and the natural beauty of the Raritan Bayshore coastline.
Matawan Borough offers striking examples of various architectural styles, particularly Victorian. Matawan was ranked by BusinessWeek magazine at #12 in the nation on their list of "The 50 Best Places to Raise Your Kids" in November, 2007.
Recreational opportunities are great, including close proximity to Cheesequake State Park as well as lakes and rivers. Closer to home are lush local parks, playgrounds, athletic fields, and multi-purpose trails.
Matawan is part of the Matawan-Aberdeen Regional School District (MARSD), together with the neighboring community of Aberdeen Township. Schools in the district are Cambridge Park Developmental Learning Center (Preschool), Cliffwood Elementary School (Grades K-3), Ravine Drive Elementary School (Grades K-3), Strathmore Elementary School (Grades K-3), Lloyd Road Elementary School (Grades 4-5), Matawan Aberdeen Middle School (Grades 6 - 8) and Matawan Regional High School (Grades 9 - 12).
In the late 20th century, Matawan became known for its heavily-used train station at Aberdeen-Matawan on New Jersey Transit's North Jersey Coast Line, which attracts riders from all over Western Monmouth County, and carries them to New York City directly to New York Pennsylvania Station, and via Secaucus Junction.
NJ Transit provides service to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Midtown Manhattan on the 135 bus line, with local service available on the 817.
Matawan is traversed by Route 34, Route 79 and County Route 516. The Garden State Parkway skirts the northern end of the borough (with the sounthbound lanes only passing through briefly); the nearest exits are exits 117 and 120.
Points of Interest include--
- Henry Hudson Trail -- Matawan is the northern terminus of the middle segment of the trail, and the western terminus of the eastern section.
- Cheesequake State Park -- Located in nearby Old Bridge Township, The state first acquired a 250 acre tract of farmland and a Civil War era mansion from the Favier brothers in January 1938. Additional lands were acquired later. The Civil Conservation Corps, part of the Works Progress Administration, helped develop the property. The park was opened in June 1940. It is operated by the New Jersey Division of Parks and Forestry and is part of the New Jersey Coastal Heritage Trail Route.
- Ambrosio House -- The Blue House on Main Street, which is Dr. Ambrosio's Victorian house. Built in 1723, a beautiful old house, standing out with its blue paint job.
Some restaurants include--
- West Lake Seafood (Cantonese, Seafood), 1016 Rte. 34, Matawan
- Aby's (Mexican) 141 Main St., Matawan
- Buttonwood Manor (American), 845 Rte. 34, Matawan
- Big Ed's BBQ (Barbecue), 305 Rte. 34 N., Matawan
- Salsa Latina Restaurant (Puerto Rican), 343 Rte. 34, Matawan
- Siam Smiles (Thai), 1016 Rte. 34, Matawan
- Matawan BBQ (Brazilian Barbecue), 32 Main St., Matawan
- Amravathi (Indian), 1008 Rte. 34, Matawan
- Blue Wasabi? (Sushi and Japanese), 351C Matawan Rd, Matawan
- Cafe 34 & Bistro (French), 787 Rte. 34, Matawan
- Bart's Continental Cuisine (Italian), 74 Main Street, Matawan
- La Riviera Lounge (Italian, Seafood), 113 Main Street, Matawan,
- Pine Tavern (American), 199 New Jersey 34, Matawan
- Trattoria Rustica (Italian), 259 Main Street, Matawan
National Register of Historic Places listings include--
- Major John Burrowes Mansion, 94 Main St., Matawan
- Matawan Station, Between Main and Atlantic Aves., Matawan
The name Matawan comes from Native American Lenape word. Matawan was formed as a borough in 1895, from portions of Matawan Township (now Aberdeen Township). Matawan expanded with portions of Matawan Township in 1931 and 1933, and from Madison Township (now Old Bridge Township) in 1939.
Town was founded by Dutch in 17th century (Matawan celebrated a TriCentennial in 1980s). Scotch Irish settlers from New Hampshire later named town New Aberdeen. It was changed, but neighboring Matawan Township took the name of Aberdeen in 1970s.
Recently Listed - View All
76 Bennett Road Matawan, NJ 07747 $859,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 4,072 Sq Ft Colonial
16 Porsche Drive Matawan, NJ 07747 $564,500 4 Beds 3 Baths 3,033 Sq Ft Colonial
85 Reynolds Court 152 Matawan, NJ 07747 $289,900 2 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Attached
152 Penn Court 133 Matawan, NJ 07747 $264,900 2 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Attached
17 Somerset Place Matawan, NJ 07747 $459,999 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Bi-Level
11 Indian Creek Road Matawan, NJ 07747 $400,000 4 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Ranch
24 Merritt Terrace Matawan, NJ 07747 $525,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
67 Wyckoff Street Matawan, NJ 07747 $445,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 2,516 Sq Ft Colonial
13 Balmoral Avenue Matawan, NJ 07747 $499,000 5 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Custom
86 Main Street Matawan, NJ 07747 $199,900 3 Beds 2 Baths 1,400 Sq Ft Colonial
7 Overhill Road Matawan, NJ 07747 $359,900 4 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Cape Cod
12 Donna Place Aberdeen, NJ 07747 $347,000 4 Beds 2 Baths 1,569 Sq Ft Cape Cod
18 Honeysuckle Lane Matawan, NJ 07747 $425,000 3 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Custom
50 Bechstein Drive Aberdeen, NJ 07747 $375,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
4 Eisenhower Court Matawan, NJ 07747 $319,900 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Other
18 Sue Anne Court Aberdeen, NJ 07747 $549,500 4 Beds 3 Baths 2,095 Sq Ft Colonial
101 Fawn Drive Matawan, NJ 07747 $449,900 3 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
149 Broad Street Matawan, NJ 07747 $249,900 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
23 Harrison Avenue Aberdeen, NJ 07747 $239,000 2 Beds 2 Baths 796 Sq Ft Ranch
48 Galewood Drive 633 Matawan, NJ 07747 $159,900 2 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Attached
65 Pemberton Drive Matawan, NJ 07747 $469,900 3 Beds 3 Baths 2,079 Sq Ft Contemporary
250 Interlaken Court Matawan, NJ 07747 $250,000 3 Beds 2 Baths 1,539 Sq Ft Attached
8 Oak Lane Matawan, NJ 07747 $455,000 4 Beds 2 Baths 1,944 Sq Ft Cape Cod
553 Atlantic Avenue S 2 Aberdeen, NJ 07747 $399,000 2 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Attached
Upcoming Open Houses - View All
20 Amagansett Lane Matawan, NJ 07747 $949,900 5 Beds 5 Baths 4,400 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSat 12-2pm
16 Porsche Drive Matawan, NJ 07747 $564,500 4 Beds 3 Baths 3,033 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 1-3pm
81 Farrington Road Matawan, NJ 07747 $549,900 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
Browse Listings by Price Range
Active Market Stats
- 128 Listings For Sale
- $372,401 Average Listing Price
- $207 Average Listing Price per Square Foot
Sold Market Stats
- 25 Properties Sold