Marlboro Real Estate Listings and Information

Marlboro

Marlboro (Township) NJ  

See also - Marlboro, NJ 08302  
 

Marlboro is a Township in Monmouth County, New Jersey.  As of the United States 2000 Census, the township had a population of 36,398, and a total area of 30.6 square miles, all of it land.

Morganville (2000 Census population of 11,255) is a census-designated place and unincorporated area located within Marlboro Township.  Marlboro was formed as a Township by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature in 1848 from portions of Freehold Township.

CNN and Money magazine selected Marlboro as one of the top 10 safest places to live, and a top 100 place to live in New Jersey.

Less than 20 miles from New Jersey's shore and an even shorter jaunt to mini-business hubs of New Brunswick and Hightstown, Marlboro has become a destination for families.  The town is managing sprawl and recreating a strong town center, and in the summer they hold free outdoor concerts by notable popular music artists.  In 2007, Marlboro introduced monthly indoor concerts at the recreation center.  Marlboro offers a large number of recreation programs, including extensive soccer and basketball leagues.

People choose Marlboro Township due to its proximity to the Jersey Shore, while still being within commuting distance of New York City and, to a lesser extent, Philadelphia.  People stay in Marlboro for a multitude of reasons, including to get away from urban issues, because of the presence of good schools and for retirement.

The Marlboro Public Schools serve students in pre-Kindergarten through eighth grade. The district is composed of eight school facilities: one pre-school, five elementary schools and two middle schools. Schools in the district are Early Learning Center for kindergarten and preschool special education, five elementary schools for grades 1-5: Frank Defino Central School, Frank J. Dugan Elementary School, Asher Holmes Elementary School, Marlboro Elementary School and Robertsville Elementary School; both Marlboro Middle School and Marlboro Memorial Middle School serve grades 6-8.

Marlboro Township public high school, Marlboro High School (home of the Mustangs), is part of the Freehold Regional High School District serving grades 9-12.  The district also serves students from Colts Neck Township, Englishtown, Farmingdale, Freehold Borough, Freehold Township, Howell Township and Manalapan Township.  Some students in Marlboro attend Colts Neck High School, also part of the Freehold Regional High School District. Many Marlboro students attend the various Learning Centers and Academies available throughout the District, and students from other District townships and boroughs attend Marlboro High School's Business Learning Center.

Private schools for Marlboro include--
- The High Point Schools, a group of private special education elementary and adolescent schools located on a 10-acre campus in the Morganville section of the Township.  The schools have been providing educational and therapeutic services for students ages 5 – 21 who have emotional, behavioral and learning difficulties for 40 years.
- Solomon Schechter Day School of Greater Monmouth County, a Pre-K to Grade 8 Jewish Day School, which is a member of the Solomon Schechter Day School Association.
- Tennent Co-Op, a Pre-K day school (which is actually located in Manalapan).

There are multiple public transportation options available--Bus, Rail, Air, and Ferry service.  NJ Transit provides service to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Midtown Manhattan. For train, the Matawan train station provides a heavily-used train station on New Jersey Transit's North Jersey Coast Line, and carries them directly to New York Pennsylvania Station, and the Secaucus Junction.  A transfer is available in Penn Station to Newark Liberty International Airport in Newark New Jersey.

Ferry service is available through the SeaStreak service in Highlands,  which offers service to New York City with trips to Pier 11 (on the East River at Wall Street) and East 35th Street (formerly East 34th) in Manhattan. 

By car, the main public thoroughfares in Marlboro are U.S. Route 9, Route 18, County Route 520 and Route 79. These routes provide access to the main Garden State roads, the Garden State Parkway and the New Jersey Turnpike. Taxi services are also available through a number of local companies which provide private services.

Newark Liberty International Airport and is 33.1 miles (53.3 km) – about 42 mins from the center of Marlboro, NJ.  Following the close of the Marlboro Airport, the closest air transportation services are Monmouth Executive Airport in Farmingdale, Old Bridge Airport and Mar Bar L Farms municipal airport for supply short-distance flights to surrounding areas.

Marlboro Township is served by CentraState Healthcare System in Freehold.  This is a 282-bed medical facility serving central Monmouth County.  The next closest hospitals would be Raritan Bay Medical Center Old Bridge Division, located in Old Bridge Township, and Bayshore Community Hospital, located in Holmdel.

The Marlboro town center has historically been considered an area around the intersection of Main Street (Route 79) and School Road.  Behind the current small mini-mart on the corner of this intersection, you can still see one of the original barns from the early 19th century.  The township of Marlboro has erected signs in front of historically significant buildings to explain their historical significant status.  However, Marlboro no longer has any official town center and can be considered suburban.

Points of Interest include--
- Marlboro Psychiatric Hospital -- Opened in 1931, Marlboro Psychiatric Hospital was located on 400 acres in the eastern part of the township.  It was closed 67 years later in 1998.  The land that the hospital was placed on was known as the "Big Woods Settlement". It was largely farm land, but due to the long residential stays at the hospital, a cemetery was also there for the residents who died while in residence and were unclaimed.  The fate of the hospital grounds is not settled, some of the land was carved out for a Monmouth County Park, and some granted to the YMCA.
- 40% Green -- In June 2009, Marlboro Township Municipal Utilities Authority (MTMUA) deployed a 900 kW solar power array from Sharp that will enable the MTMUA to meet nearly 40% of its electricity needs with emissions-free solar-generated power.  This is considered one of the largest of its kind in the East.  Additionally, Marlboro has been recognized as a Cool City by the Sierra Club. Marlboro is the 10th Monmouth County municipality to be named a Cool City.
- Marlboro Players - Marlboro is also home to the Marlboro Players, a private theater group that holds open auditions for background roles.
- Henry Hudson Trail -- For walkers and bicyclists, two segments of the Henry Hudson Trail have substantial stretches within the township.
- Camp Arrowhead -- Established in 1958, the camp is a YMCA summer day camp located on Route 520 across from the abandoned Marlboro Psychiatric Hospital.
- Dog park - Marlboro has an off-leash dog park located at the township municipal complex on Wyncrest Road.
- Golf -- Bella Vista Country Club has an 18 hole course over 5,923 yards with a par of 70. It is considered a Private Non-Equity club.
- Fossil collecting -- While not officially open to the public, Big Brook transects the border of Colts Neck and Marlboro, New Jersey.  This area is generally regarded as one of the top three dinosaur fossil sites in the state.
- Bow hunting -- Some areas of Monmouth County Big Brook Park allow bow hunting access.
- Future open space -- The township has attempted to preserve the areas known as F&F properties, Stattel's Farm & McCarron Farm (also known as Golden Dale Farm) from future development. 

The Recreation Commission maintains several parks and facilities for public use. However, some ball fields require permits for usage. The following is a list of recreation facilities:
- Marlboro Country Park
- Hawkins Road Park            
- Falson Park            
- Wicker Place Park                    
- Marlin Estates Park            
- Nolan Road Park            
- Municipal Complex    
- Defino Central School    
- Robertsville School            
- Recreation Way Park        
- Union Hill Recreation Complex                    
- Vanderburg Sports Complex    
- Brandigon Trail (Part of Henry Hudson Trail -- about 20.27 Acres)
- Big Brook Park (a major site for fossils from the Cretaceous and Pleistocene ages -- See contaminated sites & Hunting below)

Tot Lots -- Marlboro Township has a number of areas of parks specialized and set up for very young children. These are collectively known as Tot-Lots:
-  Falson Park - Falson Lane
-  Hawkins Road Park - Hawkins Road off Union Hill Road
-  Marlboro Country Park - Gordons Corner Road - Municipal Swim Club
-  Marlin Estates Park - East Francis Avenue
-  Municipal Complex - Wyncrest Road
-  Nolan Road Park - Corner of Lloyd and Nolan Roads
-  Recreation Way Park - at Community Center
-  Union Hill Recreation Complex - Union Hill Road
-  Wicker Place Park - off Texas Road

Festivals
-  Music Festival - Spring
-  Dinosaur Day - April
-  Memorial Day Parade - May
-  Marlboro Blues & BBQ Festival - Fall
-  Marlboro Day - Fall
-  Halloween Party & Parade - October
-  Multicultural Day - November

Some restaurants include--
- Brioso (Italian), 184 Rte. 9, Marlboro
- Crown Palace (Dim Sum), 8 N. Main St., Marlboro
- Pino's La Forchetta (Italian, Pizza), 448 Rte. 9 N., Marlboro
- Jerry & Harvey's Noshery (Deli, Kosher/Kosher-Style), 96 Rte. 9, Marlboro
- Sam Vera Restaurant (Italian), 476 County Road 520, Marlboro
- La Piazza Italian Restaurant (Italian), 455 Route 520, Marlboro
- Pacos Tacos (Mexican), Bear Brook Commons Shopping Center, 455 County Road 520, Marlboro?
- Koo Restaurant (Asian), 71A South Main Street, Marlboro
- Marlboro Pizza and Dusal's Ristorante (Italian), Marlboro Centre, 460 County Road & Rt. 520, Marlboro
- Golden Seas Restaurant (Seafood), 455 County Road 520 # 12, Marlboro
- Island Taste (Chinese), 460 County Road 520 # 11, Marlboro ?
- Kathys Kafe (Greek), 460 County Road 520 # 12, Marlboro

National Register of Historic Places listings include--
- Old Scots Burying Ground, Gordon's Corner Rd., Marlboro--Circa 1705.   The foundation of the original Old Scots Meeting House as well as any unmarked graves are on the property.  This is the original location where the congregation of the Old Tennent Presbyterian Church once met as well as part of the site where the Battle of Monmouth was fought.

Other historic locations include--
- The Marlboro Tree--Discovered in 1997 and located near one of the Big Brook tributaries, The Marlboro Tree, a massive black willow tree has been certified by the New Jersey Forest Service as a "State Champion" tree, signifying that it is the largest known tree of its species in the State of New Jersey, and the largest tree of any kind in Marlboro Township. It is about 152 years old and measures 76 feet in height and 19' 8" in circumference.
- Robertsville Elementary School--Originally built in 1832, Robertsville Elementary School was once a one-room schoolhouse that was built on the corner of Tennent and Union Hill Roads.  It was remodeled in 1912 and used for special education purposes at that time.  This building is still standing today.
- September 11 Memorial--Marlboro lost eight of its residents as the result of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks; a memorial has been built located near the Marlboro Recreation Center.  The memorial consists of a circle of flowering dogwoods, surrounding benches and a memorial fountain on the township municipal grounds.
- Battle of Monmouth--The Battle of Monmouth as well as a number of skirmishes were fought in and around Marlboro Township during the American Revolutionary War.  Many area placards and signs can be found on the local roads to identify specific local events from the battle.    A local state park, Monmouth Battlefield State Park, nearby in Freehold Township and Manalapan Township provides local reference to this historic event.
- Township historic markers--Many of the houses and buildings located in the area commonly known as the "center of town" (around the intersection of Route 79 and School Road), are older historic buildings.  Many of them contain signs in front of them identifying the individual buildings and their historic significance.
- Liberty Hall/Hardy Blacksmith Shop--Liberty Hall also went by the name of Alfred Hardy & Son Blacksmith Shop, is a small brick building. It is located on Route 79 in the small section of Morganville.  The building was reportedly built around 1880.   The blacksmith shop operated into the early 20th century and was one of the last blacksmith operations in the area.  The building is currently in disrepair and appears abandoned.
- Old Brick Church--This church was known as the Freehold-Middletown Dutch Congregation (now Old Brick Church).  The Dutch residents who attended this church names appear in the early records and grave stones dating from 1709 (early records were written in the Dutch language.)

Historically in the area of Marlboro, settlements began about 12,000 years ago when people who migrated eastward from Siberia spread throughout the Americas. Those who settled in this area, about 1000 AD, developed into the Lenni Lenape.  As the settlements developed, an agricultural society emerged, and small villages dotted what was to become Marlboro Township, Monmouth County and all across New Jersey.  The Lenni Lenape Native Americans were the first known organized inhabitants of this area.  In 1600 the Indian population may have numbered as many as 20,000. 

Within a period of 112 years, 1497–1609, four European explorers claimed this land for their sponsors: John Cabot, 1497, for England; Giovanni de Verrazano, 1524, for France; Estevan Gomez, 1525, for Spain, Henry Hudson, 1609, for Holland. Then for 50 years, 1614–1664, the Monmouth County area came under the influence of the Dutch, but it was not settled until English rule in 1664.

After the Dutch arrival to the region in the 1620s, the Lenape were successful in restricting Dutch settlement to Pavonia in present-day Jersey City along the Hudson until the 1660s.

Following the initial sale of land, the history of the township starts about 1685, when the land was first settled by European farmers from Scotland, England and the Netherlands.  The official documentation at the time is frequently found to be in the Dutch language.  The documents of the time also suggest that money transactions used the British shilling.  The English and Scotch settlers were predominantly of Quaker persuasion. 

Marlboro was the scene of a number of skirmishes during the American Revolutionary War, in particular following the Battle of Monmouth in 1778.  The area was referred to as the "Hornet's nest" because of the intensity of the militia's attacks on the British.  Beacon Hill (of present day Beacon Hill Road) was one of three Monmouth County sites where beacons were placed to warn the residents and the Continental forces if the enemy should approach from the bay.  There was also considerable activity in the Montrose area of the Township as British troops, retreating from the Battle of Monmouth, tried to wind their way to ships lying off Sandy Hook.

The township is named for the prevalence of marl, which was first discovered in the area east of the village in 1768.  Farmers used marl to improve the soil in the days before commercial fertilizers and there was a heavy demand for it.  Marlboro's first industry was the export of the material, in 1853, the Marl was harvested and transported to other parts of the state and to the Keyport docks via the Freehold Marl Company Railroad (now the Henry Hudson Trail). 

[Marlboro was formed as a township by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature in 1848, broken from portions of Freehold Township.  The township's name was originally "Marlborough" and then changed to "Marlboro".  Marlboro was rural and composed mostly of dairy, potato, tomato and other farms laced with small hamlets with modest inns or taverns.

Before World War II Marlboro Township was actually the nation's largest grower of potatoes and also known for a large tomato and egg industry.  During World War II, egg farms significantly increased in the area and "fed the troops".

Following World War II, the state began to significantly build and improve the area transportation infrastructure.  As the infrastructure improved, the population started to lightly increase.  The 50's and 60's saw Marlboro starting to significantly grow. Housing developments started to replace the farm and rural nature as the community expanded.

After the early 1970s, Marlboro became a growing exurban destination for people working in New York and in nearby large suburban corporations. During the 1980s and early 1990s most of the new housing developments featured four- or five-bedroom houses, but then the trend turned toward larger estate homes.  The building effort became so advanced that Marlboro Township placed restrictions for building around wetlands; called the Stream Corridor Preservation Restrictions to mitigate construction and living contamination.

Marlboro Community Blog

All Marlboro Blog Posts

Local Market Experts

Browse Listings by Price Range

Marlboro

Active Market Stats
  • 174 Listings For Sale
  • $628,474 Average Listing Price
  • $222 Average Listing Price per Square Foot
Sold Market Stats
  • 56 Properties Sold

Average Sale Price in Marlboro

Average Days on Market for Marlboro Listings

Average Price per Square Foot in Marlboro