Freehold Real Estate Listings and Information
* Note: Freehold, NJ may refer to:
- Freehold Borough - The county seat of Monmouth County, NJ.
- Freehold Township - The larger township that surrounds Freehold Borough.
- East Freehold and West Freehold are census-designated places and unincorporated areas located within Freehold Township.
- Town of Upper Freehold is NOT connected, geographically or politically to the Freehold Township.
Freehold Township is a Township in Monmouth County, New Jersey, United States. As of the census of 2000, there were 31,537 people residing in the township. The township has a total area of 38.5 square miles. The township of Freehold completely surrounds the borough of Freehold.
Freehold Borough is a Borough in Freehold Township; as of the 2000 census, the borough population was 10,976. It is the county seat of Monmouth County. The borough has a total area of 2.0 square miles, all of it land.
Freehold is situated in the heart of Monmouth County and is located approximately 40 miles south of New York City and 65 miles northeast of Philadelphia, PA. Freehold Borough is also about 16 miles west of Asbury Park on the Jersey Shore.
Freehold is a town as diverse at it is old. Quaint Victorian houses lay steps away from trendy dining spots and antique galleries.
In 2004, the Freehold Township Senior League baseball team won the Senior League World Series. The team became the first from Freehold Township to make it to the World Series, let alone win it.
Rock musician, Bruce Springsteen, was raised in Freehold Borough. The borough is the subject of his song "My Hometown", from the Born in the U.S.A. album, which described racial and economic tensions in the 1960s (the "textile mill being closed" was the A & M Karagheusian, Inc. rug mill at Center and Jackson Streets).
Freehold Borough public school students in grades pre-K through 8 attend the Freehold Borough Schools. Schools in the district are Freehold Learning Center (grades PreK-5), Park Avenue Elementary School (grades K-5) and Freehold Intermediate School (grades 6-8).
Freehold Township public school students in Kindergarten through eighth grade are educated by the Freehold Township Elementary and Middle Schools. Schools in the district are five K-5 elementary schools:
- C. Richard Applegate School, Joseph J. Catena School, Laura Donovan School, Marshall W. Errickson School and West Freehold School.
For Freehold Township public school students in grades 6-8, most students from Applegate and Catena schools go to Dwight D. Eisenhower Middle School and most students from Laura Donovan and West Freehold go to Clifton T. Barkalow School. Errickson is split between Eisenhower and Barkalow.
The Early Childhood Learning Center is for pre-school children ages 3–5. There are half-day sessions of typical preschoolers, and full-day sessions of preschoolers with special needs.
Students in public school for grades 9-12 attend either Freehold Township High School or Freehold High School based on home address, as part of the Freehold Regional High School District. The Freehold Regional High School District also serves students from Colts Neck, Englishtown, Farmingdale, Freehold Borough, Howell, Manalapan and Marlboro.
High school students in Freehold Township have the opportunity of going to Vocational Schools such as Biotechnology High School, High Technology High School, the Marine Academy of Science and Technology and the Academy of Allied Health & Science, which are part of the Monmouth County Vocational School District, which are available to all students in Monmouth County on a selective basis. Freehold Township is also home to the Contemporary Global Studies Learning Center that admits talented students from all over the Freehold Regional High School District.
Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey, in partnership with Brookdale Community College offers several Bachelor degree completion programs at Brookdale's Freehold Campus.
Several major roads pass through the township. Major state routes include US Route 9, Route 18, Route 33 (also known as the Freehold Bypass), and Route 79. Major county routes that pass through are County Rt 524, 527, and 537.
New Jersey Transit bus service connects Freehold with surrounding towns, Newark Liberty Airport and Manhattan. There is also service between Freehold and Six Flags Great Adventure.
Interstate 195 is in the next town over (in bordering Millstone, Jackson and Howell); the Garden State Parkway is two towns away (in Old Bridge, Aberdeen, Holmdel, Middletown, Tinton Fls., Wall, Brick, Lakewood, and Toms River); the New Jersey Turnpike (I-95) is also two towns away (in Robbinsville, East Windsor, and Monroe Townships).
Points of interest include--
- Monmouth Battlefield State Park - National Park preserving the rural 18th-century landscape of farmland and hedgerows that encompasses miles of hiking and horseback riding trails, picnic areas, a restored Revolutionary War farmhouse and a visitors center.
- Freehold Raceway - The nation’s oldest half-mile harness racing track. First opened in 1853, and still operates live Standardbred racing seven days a week.
- The American Hotel - Built in 1824, its most famous visitor was Abraham Lincoln, who stopped here on the way to the White House in 1861.
- St. Peter’s Episcopal Church - The oldest building in Freehold built in 1683.
- Maplewood Cemetery – dates back to the times of the pilgrims.
- Henry Hudson Trail - The southernmost segment of this rail-to-trail, which runs north to Matawan, starts in the township and is used by walkers, runners, and bicyclists.
- Hankinson-Moreau-Covenhoven House, also known as General Clinton's Headquarters, is located in Freehold, New Jersey.
- Monmouth County Historical Association - Established in 1898 by a group of county residents. In 1931, the present Museum and Library, a brick Georgian-style building designed by architect J. Hallam Conover, was constructed in Freehold.
- Metz Bicycle Museum - Freehold Borough also has a relatively forgotten but important place in the history of the bicycle. Cycling champion Arthur Augustus Zimmerman resided in the town during his racing career in the 1880s and 1890s, and from 1896-1899 operated the Zimmerman Bicycle Co.; the company's bicycles were known as the "Zimmy." Today, Freehold Borough is home to the Metz Bicycle Museum, where the only extant "Zimmy" can be seen.
- Downtown Freehold's Farmers Market - located on the Hall of Records Plaza, Freehold Borough on summer and fall Fridays, 11am - 3pm.
- Monmouth County Horse Show - Running since 1895, is now located in Freehold.
- Turkey Swamp Park - a 1,180-acre park located on the northern fringe of the Pine Barrens. The chief attraction is the 17-acre lake suitable for bass, bluegill and catfish fishing, as well as recreational canoeing and paddle boating.
- Michael J. Tighe Park (formerly Liberty Oak Park) - The recreation area with all the ball fields south of West Freehold.
The township also boasts other smaller parks such as Durand Park (Durand Conservation Area), Whittier Oaks Park, Opatut Park, Wynnefield Park, Stonehurst Park, Sandy Brook Park, Duchess Court Park, Greentree Park, Manasquan River Linear Park, Medford Park, Woodgate Park, Woodcrest Park, Orchard Hills Park, and Sargent Park.
- El Mesón Café (Mexican), 40 W. Main St., Freehold, NJ
- Oyako Tso's (Sushi), 6 W. Main St., Freehold, NJ
- La Cipollina (Italian), 16A W. Main St., Freehold, NJ
- Aangan (Indian), 3475 Rte. 9 N., Freehold Township, NJ
- Metropolitan Cafe (Pacific Rim), 8 E. Main St., Freehold, NJ
- P.F. Chang's China Bistro (Mandarin), 3710 Rte. 9 S., Freehold, NJ
- Mahzu (Sushi), 430 Mounts Corner Dr., Freehold, NJ
- Federici's (Italian, Pizza), 14 E. Main St., Freehold, NJ
- Frankie Fed's (Italian, Pizza), 831 Rte. 33 E., Freehold Township, NJ
- Cafe Coloré (Italian), 3333 Rte. 9 N., Freehold Township, NJ
- Ferrari's Italian Ocean Grill (Italian, Seafood), 3475 Rte. 9 N., Freehold Township, NJ
List of National Historic Landmarks include--
- Monmouth Battlefield, Freehold Township- Site of an American victory during the American Revolutionary War, the Battle of Monmouth on June 18, 1778 was also where the legend of Molly Pitcher started. Re-enactments of the battle take place annually in June.
National Register of Historic Places listings include--
- Court Street School , Jct. of Court St. and Holmes Terr., Freehold
- Hankinson-Moreau-Covenhoven House, 150 W. Main St., Freehold
- Monmouth Battlefield, NW of Freehold on NJ 522, W of Rte. 9, Freehold
- St. Peter's Episcopal Church, 31 Throckmorton St., Freehold Borough
- George Taylor House, 74 Broadway, Freehold Borough
- Walker-Combs-Hartshorne Farmstead, 189 Wemrock Rd., Freehold
Historically, the shore of New Jersey near Freehold was first sighted by European Venetian John Cabot while sailing along the coast in 1498. The Lenni Lenape Indians originally inhabited the area.
It wasn’t until September 1609 that the first European actually set foot at Sandy Hook. The Dutch West India Com in 1623 organized the New Jersey-Hudson River area into the Province of New Netherlands.
On June 23, 1664, the Duke of York granted a patent to Sir George Carteret and John, Lord Berkely for the entire area of what now constitutes New Jersey. The area was first settled in 1685 by a group of Scottish reformers fleeing religious persecution.
The Battle of Monmouth, a landscape of fields, woods and orchards where one of the largest battles of the Revolutionary War was fought on a scorching day of June 28, 1778. George Washington attacked the British Troops who were at the time retreating from Philadelphia back to New York. Every major American military leader of the time participated: George Washington, Marquis de Lafayette, Benedict Arnold, Anthony Wayne, Charles Lee, Alexander Hamilton, Nathaniel Greene, Friedrich van Steuben and the non-military Molly Pitcher (who took over her husband’s cannon after he was killed by British gunfire).
The Battle of Monmouth has been preserved as Monmouth Battlefield State Park, which is in Freehold Township and Manalapan.
Freehold Township was first formed in 1693, one of the three original townships in Monmouth County. It was incorporated as a township by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature in 1798. Portions of Freehold Township were taken to form Upper Freehold Township (1731), Millstone Township (1844), Jackson Township (1844), Atlantic Township (1847, now Colts Neck Township), Marlboro Township (1848) and Manalapan Township (1848).
Freehold Borough was originally incorporated as a town by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature in 1869 from portions within Freehold Township. The town became independent of the township in 1888. In 1919, Freehold was incorporated as a borough, including all of Freehold and additional portions of Freehold Township. Additional portions of the Freehold Township were annexed in 1926.
Freehold Community Blog
Recently Listed - View All
12 Lenape Trail Freehold, NJ 07728 $634,900 4 Beds 2.5 Baths 2,932 Sq Ft Colonial
31 Nathan Hale Drive Freehold, NJ 07728 $529,000 4 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
51E Piazza Tasso 1000 Freehold, NJ 07728 $155,000 2 Beds 1 Baths 1,082 Sq Ft Attached
711 Zlotkin Circle 3 Freehold, NJ 07728 $145,530 2 Beds 1.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Other
Freehold, NJ 07728 $599,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Business
37 Midland Avenue Freehold, NJ 07728 $569,000 4 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
8 Longbrooke Lane Freehold, NJ 07728 $449,000 3 Beds 2.5 Baths 1,944 Sq Ft Colonial
10 Barkalow Avenue Freehold, NJ 07728 $349,900 5 Beds 2.5 Baths 1,580 Sq Ft Cape Cod
836 Adelphia Road Freehold, NJ 07728 $224,900 3 Beds 2.5 Baths 1,504 Sq Ft Colonial
366 Fairfield Road Freehold, NJ 07728 $950,000 4 Beds 6 Baths 3,500 Sq Ft Farm House
3223 Us Highway 9 Freehold, NJ 07728 $249,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Commercial Land
17 Linton Close 1000 Freehold, NJ 07728 $205,000 2 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Detached
19-5 Augusta Court Freehold, NJ 07728 $186,000 2 Beds 1.5 Baths 1,197 Sq Ft End Unit
6 Winding Woods Way Freehold, NJ 07728 $899,000 5 Beds 5 Baths 5,132 Sq Ft Colonial
59 Stonehurst Boulevard Freehold, NJ 07728 $125,000 1 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Attached
32 Brentwood Avenue Freehold, NJ 07728 $365,000 4 Beds 1.5 Baths 1,528 Sq Ft Colonial
261 Bennington Rd 1317 - Freehold Twp, NJ 07728 $720,000 4 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
56 Barkalow Ave 1316 - Freehold Boro, NJ 07728 $254,900 4 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Other
33 Royal Road Freehold, NJ 07728 $555,000 4 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
162 Waterworks Road Freehold, NJ 07728 $509,000 4 Beds 1.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Dutch Colonial
7 Cutter Freehold, NJ 07728 $329,900 3 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
343 Jackson Mills Road Freehold, NJ 07728 $617,000 5 Beds 6.5 Baths 3,462 Sq Ft Colonial
8 Lake Drive Freehold, NJ 07728 $595,000 4 Beds 2.5 Baths 2,692 Sq Ft Ranch
Caldwell Boro Twp., NJ 07006-5221 $579,900 4 Beds 3.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
Upcoming Open Houses - View All
2 Northfield Court Freehold, NJ 07728 $849,000 4 Beds 2.5 Baths 4,500 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
315 Peter Forman Drive Freehold, NJ 07728 $785,000 5 Beds 3.5 Baths 4,309 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 12-2pm
21 Nicole Court Freehold, NJ 07728 $729,000 4 Beds 3.5 Baths 3,264 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 12-3pm
3 Maher Road Freehold, NJ 07728 $689,900 5 Beds 3 Baths 3,693 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
85 Amsterdam Drive Freehold, NJ 07728 $669,000 5 Beds 3 Baths 3,700 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 12-3pm
8 Lake Drive Freehold, NJ 07728 $595,000 4 Beds 2.5 Baths 2,692 Sq Ft RanchOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
40 Bernice Drive Freehold, NJ 07728 $569,000 4 Beds 3.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Split-LevelOpen HousesSat 12-3pm
1 Marion Court Freehold, NJ 07728 $555,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 2,974 Sq Ft DetachedOpen HousesSun 1-3pm
33 Royal Road Freehold, NJ 07728 $555,000 4 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
345 Jackson Mills Road Freehold, NJ 07728 $545,000 5 Beds 2.5 Baths 3,500 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 12-4pm
1 Quincy Court Freehold, NJ 07728 $488,888 2 Beds 2 Baths 1,962 Sq Ft DetachedOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
8 Longbrooke Lane Freehold, NJ 07728 $449,000 3 Beds 2.5 Baths 1,944 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSat 12:00-2:30pmSun 12-3pmSun 1-4pm
37 Juniper Drive Freehold, NJ 07728 $439,900 4 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 12-3pm
113 Main Street W Freehold, NJ 07728 $409,000 4 Beds 1.5 Baths 2,000 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSat 1-3pm
32 Brentwood Avenue Freehold, NJ 07728 $365,000 4 Beds 1.5 Baths 1,528 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 1-3pm
10 Barkalow Avenue Freehold, NJ 07728 $349,900 5 Beds 2.5 Baths 1,580 Sq Ft Cape CodOpen HousesSat 12-3pmSun 12-3pm
12 1st Street Freehold, NJ 07728 $339,999 3 Beds 2 Baths 1,300 Sq Ft ColonialOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
121 Princess Anne Drive Freehold, NJ 07728 $325,000 4 Beds 2.5 Baths 2,198 Sq Ft OtherOpen HousesSat 12-2pm
92E Halls Croft Road 1000 Freehold, NJ 07728 $275,000 2 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft AttachedOpen HousesSun 1-4pm
574 Cherin Road Freehold, NJ 07728 $73,900 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft DetachedOpen HousesSat 1-3pm
Browse Listings by Price Range
Active Market Stats
- 303 Listings For Sale
- $439,977 Average Listing Price
- $185 Average Listing Price per Square Foot
Sold Market Stats
- 25 Properties Sold
- $218 Average Sale Price per Square Foot