Dover Real Estate Listings and Information
Dover is a Town in Morris County, New Jersey on the Rockaway River, 39 miles west of New York City and 29 miles west of Newark, New Jersey. As of the 2010 Census, the town's population was 17,887.
The town has a total area of 2.7 square miles, and this long-established town of quiet residential streets lined with clapboard homes also features an active business district. A growing industrial area has blossomed along the Interstate 80 corridor. The nearby Picatinny Arsenal stimulates the business economy and expands employment opportunities.
The Dover School District serves students in pre-k through 12th grade. Schools in the district are Academy Street Elementary School (grades K-5), East Dover Elementary School (grades K-6), North Dover Elementary School (grades PreK-5), Dover Middle School (grades 6-8) and Dover High School (grades 9-12).
Students in grades K - 12 from Victory Gardens attend the Dover Public School system as part of a sending/receiving relationship. Students in grades 7 - 12 from Mine Hill Township also participate in the Dover district as part of a sending/receiving relationship.
Sacred Heart School is a Catholic school operated under the auspices of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Paterson.
The Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Art, a technical school founded in 1976 and the only accredited school devoted to cartooning and graphic art, is located in Dover.
The County College of Morris is located in nearby Randolph NJ (214 Center Grove Rd).
Highways traveling in or near Dover include Interstate 80, U.S. Route 46, New Jersey Route 10 and New Jersey Route 15. Dover Exit 35 off of Route 80 is a popular stop for travelers, existing halfway between the Delaware Water Gap and New York City.
NJ Transit's Morristown Line and Montclair-Boonton Line stop at the Dover train station. Trains operate to Hackettstown, Netcong, Boonton, Morristown, Montclair State University, Summit, the Oranges, Newark, Hoboken, New York City, and intermediate points.
Dover is served by 872, 875, and 880 bus routes operated by New Jersey Transit.
Lakeland Bus Lines provides regular service to Sparta, Newton, Mount Olive, Rockaway, Boonton, Parsippany, Wayne, New York City, and intermediate points from their terminal on the Rockaway Township border. Service is also provided from Wednesday to Sunday between Dover and Atlantic City.
Dover is served by numerous local taxi services. Taxis can be found waiting outside of the supermarkets, bars, bus stations, and train station.
Dover is located approximately 15 minutes west of Morristown Municipal Airport, and approximately 40 minutes west of Liberty International Airport in Newark, NJ.
Dover is considered a walkable town, as the majority of town is within about a 1/2 mile of the downtown area and most streets have sidewalks. On every Sunday from April to December, there is a flea market downtown.
Local Dover Parks include--
- Hamilton Field. One of Dover's recreation centers, featuring a football field with bleachers, soccer fields, and a historic cinder track that is used by walkers and joggers.
- JFK Commons Park. Consists of a children's play park and the town Gazebo. JFK Park hosts the town's annual Christmas tree lighting and other events.
- Crescent Field. Has a new turf soccer field and is the hosting site for Dover's annual Colombian Festival.
- Water Works Park. Containing a baseball field, picnic area, and accessible banks of the Rockaway River.
- Hurd Park. A passive park with no playgrounds or ballfields. Ideal location for wedding and graduation photographs with its Greek style pavilion having fluted columns and a circular gazebo-like center with a red-tiled roof and a scenic background. Donated to the town in 1911 by John Hurd, the park is also host to a 1922 WWI Spirit of the American Doughboy statue, one of a few found around the country. The park also displays a Civil War Memorial, a Spanish American War Memorial and a brick-walk memorial naming those on stone bricks who served in the Armed Forces. The park is adjacent to Indian Falls, a scenic walk along the Jackson Brook to Hedden Park.
- Hedden Park. On Reservoir Avenue, this active 380-acre Morris County park, is partly located in Dover with park entrances in Randolph. It contains a picnic pavilion and tables, stone cooking grills for picnics in the woods, paddle boats in season, playgrounds, ball fields and hiking trails.
- Triangle Park. In downtown at the foot of Prospect Street, the small park is maintained by Dover's Renaissance Club and the home of Hudson Favell's "Story Poles."
- Bowlby Park. The mysterious park whose name shall not be spoken.
Health care for Dover is available from--
- The Zufall Health Center is located on Warren Street and provides basic medical and dental services to residents of Dover and neighboring towns.
- St. Clare's Dover General Hospital, located on Route 46. It is the local medical facility for western Morris County. Saint Clare's Denville Hospital is located 5 miles east of Dover in Denville, and Morristown Memorial Hospital is located 11 miles east of Dover in Morristown.
Dover is centered around a developed downtown area filled with many eateries. A large percentage of these are operated by people of many countries and feature their ethnic food. Dover is a haven for diverse eating experiences, from sushi, pizza, and coffee shops, to popular Irish and Italian food places.
The majority of these venues are located in and around the business district of Blackwell Street. Some restaurants in Dover include--
- Attilio's Tavern, 80 E McFarlan St, Rt. 46 E., Dover
- Quiet Man Pub, 64 E McFarlan St, Rt. 46 E., Dover
- J & K Steakhouse, 34 W Blackwell St, Dover
National Register of Historic Places listings in Dover--
- Baker Building, 16 W. Blackwell St. , Dover
- Blackwell Street Historic District, Blackwell and Sussex Sts., Dover
- Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad Station, N. Dickerson St., Dover
- Friends Meetinghouse, S of Dover at Quaker Ave. and Quaker Church Rd., off NJ 18, Dover
- David Tuttle Cooperage, 83 Gristmill Rd., Dover
History of the town began when Joseph Latham was deeded the land in 1713 by virtue of land purchased from Native Americans by the Proprietors of West Jersey. In 1722 Joseph Latham and his wife Jane deeded 527 acres over to John Jackson of Flushing, New York.
Records show that a small Native American village was settled at the site of Hurd Park. Jackson settled on the eastern portion of his land along Granny’s Brook at the site of what would later become the Ross Ribbon Factory on Park Heights Avenue.
Iron ore at the time was so plentiful that it was easily picked off the surface of the ground at the nearby Dickerson Mine in Mine Hill. Horse back saddles would bring the ore to Jackson’s Forge, and he would process the ore into bars that would then be transported to points eastward, namely the factories in Paterson.
It is believed that Jackson had a vital business until hard times hit in 1750, due to the passage of the “Iron Act” of the British Parliament. By 1753, John Jackson went bankrupt and all his property and belongings were sold off at a Sheriff’s sale. Quaker Hartshorne Fitz Randolph purchased his property and annexed to his existing property to become part of Randolph Township.
Dover was incorporated as a village in 1826 and in 1869 as a town. Through the years, Dover has had extensive iron and mill works, machine shops, stove, furnace, and range works, boiler and bridge works, rolling mills, drill works, knitting and silk mills, and a large hosiery factory (MacGregors).
Recently Listed - View All
107 Baker Ave Wharton Boro, NJ 07801-2544 $240,000 2 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Ranch
116 Park Heights Ave Dover Town, NJ 07801-3313 $289,000 3 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Bi-Level
80 Madison St Dover Town, NJ 07801-4912 $249,900 2 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
64 Baker Ave Dover Town, NJ 07801-2540 $334,900 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
140 S Morris St a B Dover Town, NJ 07801-4626 $399,000 5 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Victorian
140 S Morris St a B Dover Town, NJ 07801-4626 $399,000 5 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Family
220 S Morris St Dover Town, NJ 07801-5416 $270,000 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
31 King St Dover Town, NJ 07801-2804 $335,000 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Victorian
55 Elizabeth St Dover Town, NJ 07801-4412 $319,000 5 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
20 Walnut St Dover Town, NJ 07801-2554 $373,000 4 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
32 Guy St Dover Town, NJ 07801-2742 $274,000 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
97 Mt Hope Ave Dover Town, NJ 07801-2706 $367,900 6 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Family
127 Prospect St Dover Town, NJ 07801-4515 $335,000 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Victorian
6 4th St Dover Town, NJ 07801-5343 $299,000 4 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Cape Cod
10 Pine St Dover Town, NJ 07801-4931 $299,000 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Ranch
85 Ann St Dover Town, NJ 07801-4449 $350,000 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
24 2nd St Dover Town, NJ 07801-5326 $324,900 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Bi-Level
116 Clark St Dover Town, NJ 07801-3626 $225,000 3 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
111 W Clinton Dover Town, NJ 07801-3403 $340,000 4 Beds 4 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
92 Baker St Dover Town, NJ 07801-2612 $1,650 2 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
46 N Bergen St Dover Town, NJ 07801-4042 $324,900 6 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
106 Pequannock St Dover Town, NJ 07801-3433 $265,000 3 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
299 Baker Ave Wharton Boro, NJ 07885-2537 $269,000 2 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
124 Princeton Ave Dover Town, NJ 07801-2513 $199,900 3 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
Browse Listings by Price Range
Active Market Stats
- 84 Listings For Sale
- $311,096 Average Listing Price
Sold Market Stats
- 1 Properties Sold