Whitehouse Real Estate Listings and Information
Whitehouse is a village in Readington Township, New Jersey along the Jersey Turnpike, just west of Mechanicsville.
Whitehouse Station is a neighboring CDP census-designated place and unincorporated area located within Readington Township, in Hunterdon County, New Jersey. At the United States 2000 Census, the CDP population was 2,089, and has a total area of 1.3 square miles, of which 0.04 square miles (3.01%) is water.
Whitehouse Station takes its name from Whitehouse -- Abraham Van Horn's 18th Century Tavern -- which later became the rail station there. White House Station still provides train service to the village through New Jersey Transit. The main highway through town is Route 22.
Readington is the county’s largest township geographically and the community has retained much of its rural nature, with Whitehouse and Whitehouse Station providing the pleasures of small-town living.
Readington has three major highways which made this area prime territory for industrial and corporate office complexes, including the world headquarters for Merck & Company, a major local employer located at 1 Merck Drive, Whitehouse Station.
All of Hunterdon County is considered a USDA Rural Development eligible area.
Some Parks include--
- Pickell Mountain Park -- Stadium and ball fields near corner of Main St and Mountain Rd.
- Round Valley State Recreation Area and Round Valley Reservoir -- Located nearby at 1220 Lebanon-Stanton Road, Lebanon; provides open space enjoyment.
- Cushetunk Park -- Smaller scale, but in Whitehouse Station, a dam provides a lake, surrounded by woods, trails and outdoor opportunities.
- Vislocky -- Woodland park on the northeast corner of Round Valley Reservoir provides open space opportunities.
Some restaurants near Whitehouse Station include--
- La Casa Bianca (Italian) - 144 Main Street, Whitehouse Station
- Jerry's Brooklyn Grill (American) - 261 Main Street, Whitehouse Station
- Giovanni's Pizza & Pasta (Pizza, Italian, Cheesesteak) - 431 US Hwy 22 E., Whitehouse Station
- Domo 7 Japanese Restaurant (Japanese) - 547 US Highway 22 E, Whitehouse Station
- Bensi (Italian) - 531 US Highway 22 E, Whitehouse Station
- Readington Diner (Diner) - 452 Route 22 West, Whitehouse Station
- Giasuppe's Pizzeria (Pizza) - 144 Main Street, Whitehouse Station
- Yi En Asian Cuisine Inc (Chinese) - 407 US Highway 22 E, Whitehouse Station
- R & M Chinese Restaurant (Chinese) - 549 Us Highway 22 E, Whitehouse Station
- Falcone's Pizzeria & Catering (Italian, Pizza, Sandwiches/Subs) - 260 Main Street, Whitehouse Station
- Whitehouse General Store (Sandwiches/Subs) - 98 Old Route 28, Whitehouse Station
National Register of Historic Places listings include--
- Whitehouse Station, Main Street, Whitehouse Station
In 1722, Abraham Van Horn purchased 490 acres in Readington along the Rockaway Creek. He built a grist mill and saw mill here. Around 1750, he built a white plastered wall tavern on the creek where the Jersey Turnpike crossed (this is now the corner of Washington Street and US 22).
The tavern began to be referred to as the "White House" by travellers. The village, which sprang up to the east of the tavern also carried this name. Stones from the original tavern can be seen along the retaining wall of the DAR cemetery, where the tavern once stood. The village of White House stretched along the Jersey Turnpike (now Route 22 and Old Route 28), which was the main street. The village included taverns, stores, grist mills, an academy, a Dutch Reformed Church and numerous houses.
The nearby Whitehouse Station, which also indirectly took the name from the tavern, was not built up until 1848 when an extension of the Somerville and Easton Railroad was built.
Whitehouse Community Blog
Recently Listed - View All
60 Old Highway 28 Readington Twp., NJ 08889-3613 $250,000 999 Beds 148.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
32 Old Highway 28 Readington Twp., NJ 08889-3612 $475,000 4 Beds 2.5 Baths 2,350 Sq Ft Colonial
10 Magriet Rd Readington Twp., NJ 08889-3736 $765,000 4 Beds 3.5 Baths 4,074 Sq Ft Colonial
65 Ebersohl Cir Readington Twp., NJ 08889-4032 $485,000 3 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
60 Old Highway 28 Readington Twp., NJ 08889-3613 $249,900 2 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
33 Old Highway 28 Readington Twp., NJ 08889-3609 $450,000 4 Beds 2 Baths 1,968 Sq Ft Bi-Level
1406 S Branch Dr Readington Twp., NJ 08889-3238 $369,500 2 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Level
501 Well Sweep Rd Readington Twp., NJ 08889-3250 $407,000 3 Beds 2.5 Baths 2,127 Sq Ft Townhouse
1329 Berry Farm Rd Readington Twp., NJ 08889-3731 $365,000 2 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Ranch/1-Story
6 Ditmar Blvd Readington Twp., NJ 08889-3740 $785,000 2 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
428 Route 22 Whitehouse Station, NJ 08889 $299,900 0 Beds 0 Baths 1,633 Sq Ft Other
31 School Rd Readington Twp., NJ 08889-3673 $285,000 2 Beds 2 Baths 1,342 Sq Ft Ranch/1-Story
28 Kline Blvd Readington Twp., NJ 08889-3669 $749,000 5 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
20 Old Highway 28 Readington Twp., NJ 08889-3612 $429,000 4 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
102 Old Highway 28 Readington Twp., NJ 08889-3615 $342,800 3 Beds 1.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
68 Salvia Ct Readington Twp., NJ 08889-2010 $315,000 2 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Multi-Level
2 Railroad Ave Readington Twp., NJ 08889-3277 $549,000 0 Beds 1 Baths 7,200 Sq Ft Industrial/Manufacturing
402 Main Street (Route 523) Readington Twp., NJ 08889-4006 $525,000 5 Beds 3 Baths 2,380 Sq Ft Colonial
24 Lake Dr Readington Twp., NJ 08889-3270 $375,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Bi-Level
105 Main St Readington Twp., NJ 08889-3691 $395,000 3 Beds 1.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
1210 Berry Farm Rd 1210 Readington Twp., NJ 08889-3731 $359,900 2 Beds 2 Baths 1,347 Sq Ft Townhouse
45 School Rd Readington Twp., NJ 08889-3675 $609,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 3,250 Sq Ft Colonial
282 Morning Glory Ct Readington Twp., NJ 08889-2016 $314,900 2 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
49 Ditmar Blvd Readington Twp., NJ 08889-3739 $569,000 2 Beds 3 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
Browse Listings by Price Range
Active Market Stats
- 29 Listings For Sale
- $411,580 Average Listing Price
- $206 Average Listing Price per Square Foot
Sold Market Stats
- 8 Properties Sold