Rockaway Real Estate Listings and Information
Rockaway, New Jersey can refer to--
- Borough of Rockaway, New Jersey
- Rockaway Township, New Jersey (extending north of the Borough of Rockaway)
Rockaway Borough in Morris County, New Jersey. As of the 2000 United States Census, the borough population was 6,473, and has a total area of 2.1 square miles, of which 0.04 square miles of it (0.95%) is water. Rockaway was formed as a borough in 1894 from portions of Rockaway Township.
Rockaway Township is a township in Morris County, New Jersey. As of the 2000 United States Census, the township population was 22,930, and has a total area of 46.0 square miles, of which 3.2 square miles of it (6.89%) is water.
Rockaway Township was incorporated as a township by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature in 1844, from portions of Hanover Township and Pequannock Township. Portions of the township were taken to form Rockaway Borough (1894), Port Oram (1895, now Wharton) and Denville Township (1913).
A large part of the township consists of Picatinny Arsenal, a United States Army base, used mainly for the development of new weapons technologies, especially concerning anti-terrorism.
Lake Telemark (2000 Census population of 1,202) and White Meadow Lake (9,052) are census-designated places and unincorporated areas located within Rockaway Township. Hibernia, site of the Hibernia mines, is an unincorporated community within the township.
Rockaway Township and its sister town, Rockaway Borough, and the area around the two municipalities are home to some scenic areas. These areas include lakes, rivers, and expansive ranges of mountains, covered with trees and wildlife and hiking trails.
Situated approximately 40 miles west of New York City off Routes 80 and 46, Rockaway Borough provides comfortable housing, an acclaimed school system, and a wide array of service and amenities. Retaining a small-town feeling, the borough is characterized as a charming commuter town with a colonial flavor. Newcomers to the township will discover a rustic area that features lush woods and vast open space.
The Rockaway Borough Public Schools serve students in grades Pre-Kindergarten - 8. Schools in the district are Lincoln Elementary School for grades K - 3 and Thomas Jefferson Middle School for grades 4 - 8.
The Rockaway Township Public Schools serve students in grades Kindergarten - 8. Schools in the district are five elementary schools serving students in grades Kindergarten - 5 — Birchwood, Catherine A. Dwyer, Dennis B. O'Brien, Katherine D. Malone and Stony Brook — along with Copeland Middle School for grades 6 - 8.
Public school students in grades 9 - 12 attend Morris Hills High School, located in Rockaway Borough, and which also serves the residential communities of Rockaway Township and Wharton. The 2008-09 enrollment at Morris Hills was 1,125 students. The high school is part of the Morris Hills Regional High School District, which also includes students from Denville Township.
Sacred Heart School and Saint Cecilia School are Catholic schools operated in Rockaway Borough under the auspices of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Paterson.
The College County of Morris in Randolph NJ is the nearest college.
Route 15, Route 23 (in Newfoundland), U.S. Route 46 passes through the southern end of the Borough, and Interstate 80 (accessible in the northeast corner of the Borough) all pass through the township.
New Jersey Transit bus service is provided on the MCM5, MCM7 and MCM10 local routes.
Lakeland Bus Lines offers bus service from the Rockaway Townsquare Mall to the New York City Port Authority Bus Terminal.
New Jersey Transit train service does not stop in the Township, but is accessible from nearby Denville, New Jersey.
Points of interest include--
- Picatinny Arsenal, a military research and manufacturing facility.
- Rockaway Townsquare Mall, a large shopping mall in the area.
- Green Pond is a lake and an accompanying residential community in the township.
- Splitrock Reservoir is 625 acres of wilderness located on the borders of Rockaway Township and Kinnelon.
- Farny State Park,
- Wildcat Ridge Wildlife Management Area,
- Mount Hope Historical Park,
- Newark's Pequannock Watershed, administered by the Newark Watershed Development Corporation.
- Pequannock River Coalition, the river keepers for the Pequannock River.
Some restaurants include--
- Farm 2 Bistro (American-New) - 100 Hibernia Ave., Rockaway
- Thai Nam Phet (Thai) - 296 US Highway 46 # A, Rockaway
- Anthony's Pizzeria & Family Restaurant (Italian) - 51 West Main Street, Rockaway
- Caffe Navona (Italian) - 147 US Highway 46, Rockaway
- East Cafe (Chinese) - 301 Mount Hope Ave, Rockaway
- Luzzi's Hibernia Inn (Italian) - 439 Green Pond Rd, Rockaway
- Rockaway Bagel & Deli (Bagels) - 171 Green Pond Rd, Rockaway
- Texas Smoke Barbecue (Barbecue) - 435 Green Pond Road, Rockaway
- The Exchange (Italian) - 160 East Main Street, Rockaway
- Brick 46 (Pizza) - 68 US Highway 46, Rockaway
- Potbelly's Riverside Cafe (American) - 26 E Main St # 2, Rockaway
- Hibernia Diner (Diner) - 9 Green Pond Road, Rockaway
National Register of Historic Places listings include--
- Ford-Faesch House, N of Dover at Mt. Hope Rd. and Mt. Hope Ave., Rockaway Township (a 1768 stone mansion that figured prominently during the Revolutionary War and in the 250-year history of Morris County iron industry)
- Joseph Jackson House, 82 E. Main St., Rockaway (also known as the Colonel Joseph Jackson House, built in the early 1800's by Colonel Jackson, Iron King of Morris County, for his son. Dr. and Mrs. George H. Foster purchased the house in 1885, and it was later willed to the borough to be used as a library and museum, and is a Rockaway Public Library)
- Split Rock Furnace, NW of Boonton, Rockaway Township (a Civil War era iron ore furnace which is still intact)
Recently Listed - View All
25 W New St Rockaway Boro, NJ 07866-3415 $275,000 4 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
15 Oak St Rockaway Boro, NJ 07866-3111 $149,999 1 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Apartment
155 W Main St Rockaway Boro, NJ 07866-3306 $65,000 0 Beds 0 Baths 0 Sq Ft Lot/Land
47 W New St Rockaway Boro, NJ 07866-3415 $259,000 3 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
24 Oak St 1434 - Rockaway Bor, NJ 07866 $155,000 1 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
107 Lakeside Dr Rockaway Boro, NJ 07866-2918 $749,000 3 Beds 3.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
24 Oak St Rockaway Boro, NJ 07866-3137 $155,000 1 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Ranch/1-Story
48 White Meadow Ave Rockaway Boro, NJ 07866-2614 $229,900 2 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Ranch/1-Story
21 Gill Avenue Rockaway Boro, NJ 07866 $219,000 0 Beds 1 Baths 1,525 Sq Ft Industrial/Manufacturing
14 John St Rockaway Boro, NJ 07866-2606 $269,900 3 Beds 1 Baths 1,578 Sq Ft Cape Cod
1 Bank St Rockaway Boro, NJ 07866-3411 $1,850 0 Beds 0 Baths 1,200 Sq Ft Office
49-51 Wall St Apt 7 Rockaway Boro, NJ 07866-2903 $147,777 1 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Ranch/1-Story
21 Rose Ln Rockaway Boro, NJ 07866-3322 $525,000 4 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
52 Hill St Rockaway Boro, NJ 07866 $319,000 3 Beds 1.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Cape Cod
113 Franklin Ave Rockaway Boro, NJ 07866-3407 $115,000 4 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
38 Duncan Ln Rockaway Boro, NJ 07866-2808 $350,000 4 Beds 2 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
75 Academy St Rockaway Boro, NJ 07866-2920 $325,000 3 Beds 2.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Colonial
509 W Main St Rockaway Boro, NJ 07866-3733 $265,000 3 Beds 1 Baths 1,041 Sq Ft Ranch/1-Story
32 William Dr Rockaway Boro, NJ 07866-3305 $450,000 4 Beds 3 Baths 2,640 Sq Ft Bi-Level
6 Glenview Ct Rockaway Twp., NJ 07866 $475,000 4 Beds 2.5 Baths 2,700 Sq Ft Colonial
7 Charles St Rockaway Boro, NJ 07866-3801 $79,500 2 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Ranch/1-Story
55 W Elycroft Ave Rockaway Boro, NJ 07866-3742 $325,000 4 Beds 1.5 Baths 0 Sq Ft Ranch/1-Story
93 Mt Pleasant Ave B4 Rockaway Twp., NJ 07866-2924 $169,000 2 Beds 1.5 Baths 1,400 Sq Ft Ranch/1-Story
11 Oak St Rockaway Boro, NJ 07866-3111 $145,000 1 Beds 1 Baths 0 Sq Ft Townhouse
Browse Listings by Price Range
Active Market Stats
- 61 Listings For Sale
- $304,818 Average Listing Price
- $176 Average Listing Price per Square Foot
Sold Market Stats
- 7 Properties Sold
- $193 Average Sale Price per Square Foot