Jackson Real Estate Listings and Information

Jackson

Jackson NJ  


Jackson is a township in Ocean County, New Jersey.  As of the 2010 United States Census, the township population had increased to a record high of 54,856, and has a total area of 100.8 square miles, of which 0.8 square miles of it (0.74%) is water.  Jackson is the largest city by area in Ocean County.

Cassville and Vista Center are census-designated places and unincorporated area located within Jackson Township.  All of Jackson Township is considered a USDA Rural Development eligible area.

Jackson is the county's largest rural region featuring rich clusters of woodlands, fascinating wildlife, sparkling streams, and room to grow.  Although the area is sparsely settled, its combination of natural beauty and untapped resources are attracting growth in the residential, commercial and industrial sectors.  The influx of new residents has resulted in forty subdivisions, where condominiums and townhouses combine with single-family homes in a variety of architectural styles and price ranges. 

Jackson's most famous attraction is Six Flags Great Adventure amusement park, which as of 2010 is home to the tallest roller coaster in the world: Kingda Ka.  Jackson is also home to Six Flags Hurricane Harbor water park and Six Flags Wild Safari.

Jackson Township was incorporated as a township by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 6, 1844, from portions of Dover Township (now Toms River Township), Freehold Township and Upper Freehold Township, while the area was still part of Monmouth County, New Jersey. It became part of the newly-created Ocean County on February 15, 1850. Portions of the township were taken to form Plumsted Township on March 11, 1845.

The Jackson School District serves students in Kindergarten through twelfth grade.  Schools in the district are six elementary school serving grades K-5 — Crawford-Rodriguez Elementary School, Elms Elementary School, Lucy N. Holman Elementary School, Howard C. Johnson Elementary School, Sylvia Rosenauer Elementary School and Switlik Elementary School — Carl W. Goetz Middle School and Christa McAuliffe Middle School for grades 6-8, along with Jackson Liberty High School and Jackson Memorial High School for grades 9-12.

Major highways CR 527, CR 528, CR 547, CR 537, CR 526, and CR 571 pass through the township.  CR 539 also passes through the township, but in the southwest corner, for less than half a mile.  Interstate 195 is a major artery that travels through the northern section of Jackson (Jackson is the only municipality in Ocean County that hosts any interstate).  While the expressway travels into Howell and Millstone Townships, it's also a vital link for Six Flags since it grants access to the Garden State Parkway, Interstate 295 and the New Jersey Turnpike (Interstate 95).

New Jersey Transit bus service is provided to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Midtown Manhattan.  Philadelphia is served by the 317.  Local service is available on the 311 bus line.

Points of interest include--
- Farmers Market at Jackson Crossing -- located at 21 S. Hope Chapel Road, Jackson on summer and fall Thursdays, 12-6pm.
- Prospertown Schoolhouse Museum -- located at the Municipal Complex, 95 West Veteran's Highway (Route 528), Jackson.  Maintains an original one-room schoolhouse, containing local artifacts, photographs, and documents, including cranberry and blueberry sorters, St. Vladimir Memorial Church Commemorative Medals, and dirigible and blimp memorabilia.

Some open space areas in Jackson Township include--
- Butterfly Bogs Wildlife Management Area
- Colliers Mills Wildlife Management Area
- Barnegat Bay Watershed Inland Area
- Toms River Headwaters Area
- New Jersey Wildlife and Game Refuge

Some golf courses near Jackson include--
- Metedeconk National Golf Club, 50 Hannah Hill Road, Jackson
- Westlake Golf & Country Club, 1 Pine Lake Circle, Jackson
- Pine Barrens Golf Club, 540 South Hope Chapel Road, Jackson

Some restaurants include--
- Solo Bella (Italian) - 426 Chandler Road, Jackson
- Surf Taco Jackson (Mexican) - 21 South Hope Chapel Road, Jackson
- Java Moon Cafe (American-New) - 1022 Anderson Rd, Jackson
- Inzillo's Pizzeria (Pizza) - 2103 W County Line Rd, Jackson
- Enzo Pizza (Pizza, Italian) - 237 W Commodore Blvd, Jackson
- Koto Japanese Restaurant (Sushi, Japanese) - 21 South Hope Chapel Road, Jackson
- Tuscany Italian Specialty (Italian) - 10 S New Prospect Rd, Jackson
- Doraldo Restaurant & Pizza (Pizza) - 21 S Hope Chapel Rd, Jackson
- China Ming (Chinese) - 255 S New Prospect Rd, Jackson
- Jersey Mike's Subs (Sandwiches/Subs, Soups) - 2275 W County Line Rd, Jackson

National Register of Historic Places listings include--
- Cassville Crossroads Historic District, Jct. of CR 571 and 528, Jackson Township

Historically, early Woodland Period Indians, known as Lenape, emerge as hunters and gatherers in the Jackson Township area.  By 1740, there were only about 200 Native Americans living in New Jersey, south of the Raritan Bay to Cape May.

In 1600, the Dutch explorer Cornelius Hendrickson navigated Barnegat Inlet and the Toms River onboard the Onrust, becoming the first European explorer to set foot on what became Ocean County soil.  The land, which he claimed for Holland, became part of New Netherlands.

In 1664, King Charles II gave his brother James, Duke of York, the lands of New Netherlands after the Dutch surrendered the land under pressure from the British.  It was renamed Albania, and James deeded this territory to two friends: Lord John Berkeley, who was given the western half, and Sir George Carteret, the eastern half.

After Sir George Carteret died in 1685, his land holding in the province was sold off piecemeal to pay his indebtedness.  The Proprietors began to buy land from the local Native Americans, which gave title for Ocean County lands to Europeans for the first time.

It wasn't until 1712 that the first road was built in Ocean County.  In 1844, and in honor of ex-President Andrew Jackson, Jackson Township was incorporated by the state legislature as a new municipality in Monmouth County by taking portions of Freehold, Upper Freehold and Dover Township.  Initially the new Jackson encompassed 170 square miles and included today's Plumstead Township.  Although it has dwindled during the years, as other municipalities were created by the Legislature, to a mere 100.4 square miles, it is yet, the largest municipality in Ocean County and the third largest in the state.

Agriculture was the main industry of Jackson Township's population prior to mid-20th century.  Forestry, with the hewing of trees for boardfeet at the local sawmills and the manufacture of charcoal for the local furnaces (converting iron bog ore to pig iron), was the first industry.  As the forests were stripped from the land, owners converted their farms to crop growth.

When it was discovered that consuming wild cranberries (by the crews on the long voyages of sailing ships) prevented the dreaded Beri-Beri disease, John "Peg Leg" Webb, a retired seaman turned local schoolteacher, residing in the Bowman Road area east of Cassville, has been credited with initiating the domestication of the wild cranberry and the development of unique cranberry bogs for maximum growth production in the early 1840's. At peak production after the Civil War, more than 200 cranberry bogs were in production.

In 1917, when the United States entered World War I, the former ammunition proving grounds in Manchester and Jackson townships was acquired by U.S. Army and renamed Camp Kendrick.  After World War I and starting about 1920, a new agricultural industry arose as the charcoal and cranberry industries began to wane.  Everyone became a poultry farmer, egg producing poultry sprang up everywhere, as well as brooder houses.

It was inevitable that starting in 1960, land development in Jackson shifted from agriculture to new home development as the North Jersey megalopolis reached out into southern Monmouth and upper Ocean Counties.  In 1950, the Ocean County population was 56,622, however by 1960 had almost doubled to 108,241 and almost doubled again by 1970 to 208,470.  Slowing the pace a little it took until 1990 to reach 433,203 and in 2000 it stood at 510,916,

These days, Jackson is a commuter community. Jackson in its 150 years of development grew from an incorporated municipality, watching the population of its 100.4 square miles mount from 1,330 in 1844 to a population over 50,000 in about 12,000 dwelling units today.

Jackson Community Blog

All Jackson Blog Posts

Local Market Experts

Browse Listings by Price Range

Jackson

Active Market Stats
  • 582 Listings For Sale
  • $370,963 Average Listing Price
  • $177 Average Listing Price per Square Foot
Sold Market Stats
  • 9 Properties Sold

Average Sale Price in Jackson

Average Days on Market for Jackson Listings

Average Price per Square Foot in Jackson